Best speaker for my space

Mila1924

I think you have several problems.

1. The speakers are at a right angle to the adjacent room. If you're listening while doing stuff in that room, you''re listening far off-axis and not getting direct sound.

2. All the hard flooring and bare walls is causing frequency cancellation and some blurring of the sound.

3. The combined volume of the two rooms, along with the open doorways to other rooms, creates a volume that's too large to pressurize with sound.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

Hope these pics help, other than taking speakers off the wall more I don’t know what else I could do

image.jpg

I'd like to get @Youthman 's take on this setup.  His living room setup has RF-7 II's on the long wall with a couch 13' away.  He also has the open left and right side so in that regard is looks similar to your front end.  This only difference is there is another open space behind his couch.  I believe he runs his speakers in 2.0 with a 200 wpc amp.  His setup lacks for nothing when it comes to balance and low end punch.

Edit:  Michael you might want to read the next couple of posts.  At first I thought the OP was wanting better sound in the MLP but I think he's clarified he wants better sound in other rooms, not just the MLP.

14 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

@Peter P. pretty grim huh? If you can see it, across from my system I have a blue lounge chair I sit at to get a direct line of sound from the speakers. But in any other spot in my house it sounds pretty mediocre. 

I don't know if you want to go to this much trouble but you might consider using an AVR that will play Zone 2 and then run a separate set of speakers in the other room where you want the better sound.

I think there are people who do what you want to do which is have quality sound in multiple living areas.  Modern AVR's handle that task with ease and some AVR's like the Marantz SR6011 with 9 internal amps will run Zone 2 and Zone 3.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

@Peter P. pretty grim huh? If you can see it, across from my system I have a blue lounge chair I sit at to get a direct line of sound from the speakers. But in any other spot in my house it sounds pretty mediocre. 

Kill the architect. 

You simply two separate listening positions and that is going to require more speakers, not different ones.  

Do you like the sound in you blue chair, enough bass, etc?

You can achieve great sound at your blue chair, but it isn't going to provide great sound from where you took that photo.    However, you have recessed ceiling which means you have attic access I am guessing, so you have many, many options to fill the space to the right of the chair with sound with a click of a switch.

You can go white pro cinema speakers hung from ceiling pointing to that space, you can go with in-ceiling or in wall all the way down the length of the room.

Someone way smarter than me can come up for a solution to that room for the times you don't want to focus on blue chair critical listening.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

No matter what speaker you have, it's pretty much impossible to obtain good sound when you aren't somewhat in front of the speaker.  Midrange and High Frequencies are very directional whereas bass is omnidirectional.  That's why a truck that drives by with a killer sound system, the bass sounds awesome as they drive by but the mids and highs sound like poo even though they might sound amazing where the driver is sitting.

I think @dwilawyer offers a good solution with in-ceiling speakers if you are looking to add additional sound in another room. 

• Like 2

That looks nice and clean, but I would move the speakers further apart, and closer to the wall, but not so much where the bass got boomy, then angle or tow them in quite a bit which will help with the width of the sound while at opposite ends of the room. You might commit to a center seating section or sweet spot, whether the couch or the chair, but I would remove one from the seating area to free up some air.    I bet the blue chair delivers a killer near field report with that setup

• Like 1

If that is a question for me about speakers, I must confess, I have only heard Cornwall IIs, Forte IIs, KLF-30s, LaScalas, and Klipschorns in the same area.  So not 100% exactly the same but close enough.  I've owned too many.

LaScala never develops a low bottom end no matter how big a room.  Khorns to open up do.  Cornwalls have the bass but certain notes are looser.  Definitely not as tight as a passive radiator speaker like Forte's and Chorus.

23 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Have you heard Cornwall IIIs, La Scalas and Forte in the same room?  I doubt it.  My comment is with that in mind. Horn loaded BASS IMO is a little overrated unless you have a LARGE room to take advantage of the full length of the wavelength projected from the horn. I don't have that luxury.   Maybe you do? 

Previous comment was speaking to this.

8 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I think you have several problems.

1. The speakers are at a right angle to the adjacent room. If you're listening while doing stuff in that room, you''re listening far off-axis and not getting direct sound.

2. All the hard flooring and bare walls is causing frequency cancellation and some blurring of the sound.

3. The combined volume of the two rooms, along with the open doorways to other rooms, creates a volume that's too large to pressurize with sound.

#3 is why I stated subs

#2 is another reason 

It is possible to get good bass and clean it up a lot though you definitely need to work on reflective areas. 

8 hours ago, Mila1924 said:

Keep in mind these are focused speakers, what are you looking for in other areas?  It will sound mediocre with most speakers, particularly if you did maggies or something like that.  Terrible sound away from the sweet spot.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

#3 is why I stated subs

#2 is another reason 

It is possible to get good bass and clean it up a lot though you definitely need to work on reflective areas. 

Keep in mind these are focused speakers, what are you looking for in other areas?  It will sound mediocre with most speakers, particularly if you did maggies or something like that.  Terrible sound away from the sweet spot.

@pzannucci  I guess I just wasn't aware how specific my location needs to be while listening to the speakers.  I just wanted to hear the same quality I hear when I am in the sweet spot as when I am in other areas in my house.  But it sounds like thats not possible regardless of what speakers I have, unless of course I go with @rebuy 's idea (ha).   I think that makes me feel more at ease about trying to get bigger speakers, because like another comment said, ill be chasing my tail. i just need to sit my *** down more in my blue chair if I want to hear the quality of what my system produces. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

@pzannucci  I guess I just wasn't aware how specific my location needs to be while listening to the speakers.  I just wanted to hear the same quality I hear when I am in the sweet spot as when I am in other areas in my house.  But it sounds like thats not possible regardless of what speakers I have, unless of course I go with @rebuy 's idea (ha).   I think that makes me feel more at ease about trying to get bigger speakers, because like another comment said, ill be chasing my tail. i just need to sit my *** down more in my blue chair if I want to hear the quality of what my system produces. 

Well I guess that's information I missed somewhere along the line. I thought you were dissatisfied with the Fortes when siting in the sweet spot in that room.

Shakey

28 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

Look at Ohm speakers if you want to be able to wander around the room, or other omni's https://ohmspeaker.com/site/assets/files/2413/walsh_5000.pdf

Definitely a different type of speaker but most of us have multiple speakers for multiple reasons.  They would look good by your Forte's as my Magnepan 1.7i's look good next to my KLF 30s :D

• Like 1