Best speaker for my space

Mila1924

54 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Look at Ohm speakers if you want to be able to wander around the room, or other omni's https://ohmspeaker.com/site/assets/files/2413/walsh_5000.pdf

Definitely a different type of speaker but most of us have multiple speakers for multiple reasons.  They would look good by your Forte's as my Magnepan 1.7i's look good next to my KLF 30s :D

I didn’t want to bring it up, but having a room similar to this is why I switched my front mains to Ohm Walsh 2000s. We spend a lot of time moving around in the room and the dining area is off axis. They would work well in this space. You also have enough room to keep the Fortes in place and switch between them. My space is a bit tighter so it was a one or the other proposition. 

• Like 1

or, just rearrange your couch to the opposite wall, and put two tree's in there for dispersion, along with some new pnoe's and/or just enjoy what you have, it looks mighty fine.  There are console options for consideration, record rack's could create new corners, or simply a bowl of fruit for flavor... (it worked for Jimi)

Jimi in front of a bowl of fruit.jpg

• Haha 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mila1924 said:

@Khornukopia  I feel like it would be pretty easy to get sucked into an unachievable sound.  I think I just need to be happy with what i have and enjoy it when i am on my sweet spot chair, and leave it at that.  

You can experiment very cheaply if that Marantz has two set of speaker outlets (A and B).

You could try some inexpensive bookshelf speaker on some makeshift stands, even stools, pointed perpendicular to your main speakers.

That might be able to tell you if it would be worth exploring other options in improving the sound in that direction.

• Like 3

This is what the OP posted " I just don’t feel like the fortes fill the space the way I want my speakers to." I responded to that and a sub or two will solve that problem. He can run secondary satellite speakers in a second room the subs will fill in the bottom end. Past that he can't have the impossible buthe needs to learnand he should do what ever he wants and he will at some point in time learn what works and what does not because that is what we have all done.

• Like 1

Just spend big on the Forte crossovers, get Ti tweeters if you don’t already have them and spend on room treatment. If the wife disapproves, find other ways using furniture, book cases, thick drapes, thicker rug etc.

I do think for now your cheapest way is to play with placement. Go longer on the wall and toe them In at your listening position possibly could help with that room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Just spend big on the Forte crossovers, get Ti tweeters if you don’t already have them and spend on room treatment. I

I do think for now your cheapest way is to play with placement. Go longer on the wall and toe them In at your listening position possibly could help with that room

You're behind the times!  Mila doesn't want better sound at the MLP he wants better sound two rooms away!  It took me a few posts to figure that out but I think that's his goal for the sound.  The toe-in has some possibilities, though.

+++

@Mila1924 I have another suggestion that's *FREE*.  If you are trying to get good sound in various rooms try running your receiver in Mono.  It sounds surprisingly good and IMO the sound "travels" better. 

Also, toeing your speakers either in or out will also help with bouncing the sound into other rooms.  I suggest toeing IN which will help maintain the good sound in the MLP as @Maximus89 suggested ^^^.

If that doesn't work I'll refund you the money you spent to try it.  B)

• Like 1

@wvu80 those are great FREE options. @John Chi-town I actually just put the fortes on those mini stands hoping that raising them would help, but your saying that raising them may actually be making my sound quality worse? I just thought bringing them higher and closer to my ears would be better than lower and just set directly on the floor. 

Looking at your second photo showing the other side of the room, I would agree with Moray, perhaps a sub will do the trick. My room is a fair bit longer, so the off axis challenge was a bit more pronounced.

If you were to close the door on the other side of the room whilst playing music (perhaps you do),  the overall sound should improve.

I think using wall mounted speakers, firing in a different direction

than the main's will add dispersion and give you the illusion that you're

looking for. You still get the sound of the mains off axis in another room but more

direct sound from quality wall mounted speakers for sending sound to the other areas.

Better get a 5 to 7 channel AVR and just go for it or get that BOSE system for 2 or 3 Grand.

5 hours ago, Mila1924 said:

@wvu80 those are great FREE options. @John Chi-town I actually just put the fortes on those mini stands hoping that raising them would help, but your saying that raising them may actually be making my sound quality worse? I just thought bringing them higher and closer to my ears would be better than lower and just set directly on the floor. 

Mila,

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.  Raising them might sound better in the standing position, in a party environment, but again you are losing bottom end INMHO.  Klipsch voiced and imaged those speakers for best sound based on direct coupling to the floor.

Regards,

John 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Chi-town said:

Mila,

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.  Raising them might sound better in the standing position, in a party environment, but again you are losing bottom end INMHO.  Klipsch voiced and imaged those speakers for best sound based on direct coupling to the floor.

Regards,

John 

You are correct.  Klipsch designed heritage speakers that were meant to be coupled with the floor (bass driver getting reinforcement from that coupling).  Since those stands are not very high, it shouldn't have a huge effect but will have some.  In the environment you have, if you are worried most about bass all around, subs are the answer.  If you are wanting to hear the mids and top end more correctly, say over in the dining area, you will need to reposition the speakers or require a second set.  No two ways around it.

• Like 2