Belle: an unrequited love...

100dB

It’s been a few years since I dropped in. Much has happened: Moved. Retired. Got sick. Got better. Came out of retirement. Son went off to college (and took some of my audio stuff), and much more... It’s good to be back. 

Did you ever date someone and your head is telling you that this should be the best relationship ever, but your heart isn’t in it? Try as you might, the thrill isn’t there. That’s happening to me, with a beautiful pair of Belles I recently picked up as a birthday present to myself.

i know the qualities I expected. They sounded good, if not great, when I auditioned them. I knew of the shortcomings. And they’re so beautiful! Still, it ain’t happening. 

In the past, I’ve had Heresy IIIs, and Cornscala #Ds. Recording monitors, and Maggie’s. With the Belle’s I’ve tried two different tube amps that I made myself, and a good SS amp. I’ve moved them to the wall; away from the wall; toed in; straight across; with eq and without.  My soul isn’t getting it. Help! 

I have the original paperwork, and glass tops for the cabs. I’m not in a position to make them a project for myself. Do I really need new crossovers? Or drivers? Or horns? I love “all original”, and these are all original. 1982. AA crossovers. What am I doing wrong that I’m getting ear bites with every playing? Thoughts?

161B8614-A15E-482C-B6BF-3E4B5BCBA37D.jpeg

32 minutes ago, 100dB said:

It’s been a few years since I dropped in. Much has happened: Moved. Retired. Got sick. Got better. Came out of retirement. Son went off to college (and took some of my audio stuff), and much more... It’s good to be back. 

Did you ever date someone and your head is telling you that this should be the best relationship ever, but your heart isn’t in it? Try as you might, the thrill isn’t there. That’s happening to me, with a beautiful pair of Belles I recently picked up as a birthday present to myself.

i know the qualities I expected. They sounded good, if not great, when I auditioned them. I knew of the shortcomings. And they’re so beautiful! Still, it ain’t happening. 

In the past, I’ve had Heresy IIIs, and Cornscala #Ds. Recording monitors, and Maggie’s. With the Belle’s I’ve tried two different tube amps that I made myself, and a good SS amp. I’ve moved them to the wall; away from the wall; toed in; straight across; with eq and without.  My soul isn’t getting it. Help! 

I have the original paperwork, and glass tops for the cabs. I’m not in a position to make them a project for myself. Do I really need new crossovers? Or drivers? Or horns? I love “all original”, and these are all original. 1982. AA crossovers. What am I doing wrong that I’m getting ear bites with every playing? Thoughts?

161B8614-A15E-482C-B6BF-3E4B5BCBA37D.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

What is your associated equipment? 

BTW, I love your art work.....

Shakey

I thought of that too

but with this image

Have one to sell?Sell on Amazon

• The Road to Red

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 100dB said:

I find that they have a pronounced bump with a center frequency around 7kHz. The lack of bass was something I was prepared for. Imaging is vague, but that’s fine. This was just a great find, and I’m a bit underwhelmed.

what is your room layout ?

If it ain't going to happen for you, it just ain't going to happen. No speaker is everything to everybody. I for one, love my Belles. You have tried many of the right things but I would not give up until you have a least tried to recap the cross over. The AA is a good crossover but the caps are way past their prime. It would still be original, just new caps. It's like putting new spark plugs in your classic car. Some parts just wear out. I was happy with my first set of Belles and then when I updated the cross over, they hit a new level. Worth a try.

Nice looking set.

• Like 1

I lusted after Belle's for years. I too thought they would sound comparable to the Lascalas I owned. I was wrong. In my room they just didn't do it for me.

My Cornwalls seem to be the ticket for me. They do a lot right and very little left for me to want.

Belle's are beautiful.

Good luck.

Tom

• Like 1