Adding Atmos to a 5.2 system

Berglii

Hey guys.

Right now there is a sale on the floorstanding speakers "Klipsch RP-280FA".

I have a 5.2 sound system and my question is will it be ok to change my front speakers with these to get the atmos experience?

I don't know that much about different setups, but I found that the norm was:

5.2 (side surrounds)

7.2 (rear surrounds)

upgrading further is Atmos. I do not have rare surrounds, will that be a problem or will I be just fine?

In my current living room I (or the wife) do not want to add any more speakers on the wall or ceiling for that matter. I found the work around to be these speakers. They are also a upgrade to my existing front speakers.

I have an Atmos system (5.0.4) and really like it.

Out of curiosity I just tried the setup without rears (3.0.2).

It works but not very satisfying because you don't get the sound bubble that Atmos provides - at least you need rears - the difference is huge.

2 Atmos speakers are sufficient 4 are not really needed.

Hey Berglii... if you currently do not have rear surrounds, adding Front Towers with (top-firing) Atmos  speakers will be perfectly fine. Your Marantz has Atmos decoding & you can configure the new Towers (w/Atmos) during set up. Bear in mind that Atmos is very forgiving & your  Marantz will recognize your available speakers & your room- and make the appropriate calibration.

Also, Atmos is not limited to only "overhead".  Object-based Atmos moves sounds almost anywhere, including your full range F/L/C mains. Good Luck !!