Water Damaged HII- Worth it?

twk123

A set of HII's just came up on my local craigslist for $125 that are water damaged. Do these things look like they are worth salvaging? My concern is the rusted screws on the driver which may indicate the woofer has water damage as well. It also looks like the cabs warped to the point they are coming apart at the corners.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-heresy-ii-speaker/6706610580.html

image.thumb.png.7c13fd53e5f2f5662824b13264aa22bf.png

"IF" you could hear them play, and "IF" everything made sound, the sum of the parts are definitely worth more than the whole (asking price).  HII cabinets come up for sale on occasion and they are also about the easiest cabinets ever to build if you are so inclined.  Crites has new motorboards for $80 a pair on his website and that would take off a ton of work with having to use the router to flush mount.  Just a simple cabinet after that.

"IF" you don't mind a project.  ;)

It's showing $150 on the ad....did he price lower to you?  He did make mention that everything works.  Hell, if they were close to me, I'd buy them and resell the parts to recoup if I didn't need a pair.

Haha, vote YES (with the caveat above). For $125 what do you have to loose? Ad states that they sound good (double check). If you have never owned Heresy's this seems like a cheap way to try a pair :D 

Of course they would not make it into my wife's living room, but how about the garage or under a desk?

Ad seller also has Pro Heresy's ... check those out also!

Cheers, Emile 

I am leaning to "NO" on these. I am tempted and have a good HVLP spray gun to put a nice coat of furniture paint but if the cabs are wrecked I dont really have time for a reconstruct. They are about an hour away too and we are repainting my entire house interior due to previous smokers so I have my hands full to say the least. 

1 hour ago, twk123 said:

My concern is the rusted screws on the driver which may indicate the woofer has water damage as well.

Virtually every screw that I've seen in those has rusted heads.  I normally spray paint the heads with rustoleum.  If the drivers work, grab them up.  The drivers alone are worth more than the asking price.  You can use the cabinets for kindling.

• Like 1

The rust on the screws would deter me, too.  But, if I could lowball them down even more, I'd get them for the parts.  Anytime I have to go get anything in Little Rock, it's an hour drive....which is about happy average for me if I find anything around here.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've had more Heresys with rusty screw heads than not.  No idea why.

I know what you mean.  I've had maybe 6 pairs around over the last 10 years and all of them had some rust on the screw heads.  Cabinets were fine but those screws.  Even other older speakers I've had/have were like that and all were bought in either OK, AR or TX.  Some I just replaced the screws on, others just repainted.  Odd.  Southern humidity I guess.

I would buy them ... and I'll send you the dimensions for the Tangent 400 cabinets. The guts of the Tangent are all Heresy II parts, even the crossover board. You will get better bass and the mid and tweeter will be closer to ear level.

A good friend of mine has a pair of these.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/tangent-400#product-specs

Bruce

These are the external dimensions of the Tangents:
Width: 15"
Depth: 13 5/8"
Height: 34 3/4"
It has a 3/8" bevel on the front face.
The ports are approximate as I had trouble getting exact:
Two ports on the front measuring 3" internal diameter. No tubes just the thickness of the front baffle.

• Like 1