Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

When I compared the K-43 vs K-33 in 2 La Scalas, the difference was not very noticable at "normal" SPLs.

With my Klipschorns, in my room, the K-43 sloped down at the lowest frequencies, but had a warmer upper bass response. Sometimes, I needed to switch off all drivers except one woofer at a time to focus on the comparison.

I’ve compared them both in La Scala’s. Not K-horns, but my experience is very similar to yours. I’ve just always read on here that the K-43 is superior to the K-33 in upper bass. You would think just by looking at a K-43 it would be better. Much beefier. That is just not the case. I do like the extra power handling, but I’ve never had any trouble with K-33’s in that regard either. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

MyGod,  it's full of stars...

…around a black hole.

@Khornukopia At first I didn't really like the "carbon fiber" look on the K402, I first saw it in your thread on April 22, 2020. But I like it more and more, actually a very cool look. And certainly not as demanding to do as the wood veneer foils (which always look very well done on your horns).

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 6:50 PM, Khornukopia said:

A pair of Faital Pro HF 206 for the K-402 topped Klipschorns in the garage.

DSCF1047.JPG.c15bfe1c4af84ff35056d98226e30e0e.JPG

I first overlooked this Faital driver in your thread when I looked at your whole thread again two weeks ago, so actually I just looked at all the pictures again without reading the text and I thought back to the Corona time when some of us had a lot of time for things like handicrafts. So in 2009 I got a passive xover for my UG from a well-known third party provider. It was designed for the Faital HF200. I think it sounds quite passable, not comparable to my DSP solution with the TAD4002, but with better dispersion in the highs than the TADs (hence the second phase plug from Roy for the HJ, even if they use the Celestion).
For my passive third party Xover I bought Faital HF206 about 10 years ago, just like yours, so I used the HF206 with the Xover which was actually designed for the HF200. But the frequency response shown on the Faital page showed a smooth response, so I gave it a try.  Before I saw your photo, I hadn't seen anyone using the HF206 with the K402 the same way I tried it. Because the HF206 uses a polymer diaphragm, the highs are very pleasant, vocals, violins etc all sound very good. But there is a lack of energy in the lower frequencies. It sounds too delicate and thin. The HF200 has a titanium diaphragm...very good for snares and toms. The HF206 is weak in precisely this frequency range. Do you have the settings for an active DSP for the HF206? I would like to try it again if, for example, the 500 Hz range gets a little boost. The dispersion behavior in the K402 is very good with the HF206.
Thanks for your reply.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:44 PM, KT88 said:

... At first I didn't really like the "carbon fiber" look on the K402, I first saw it in your thread on April 22, 2020. But I like it more and more, actually a very cool look. And certainly not as demanding to do as the wood veneer foils (which always look very well done on your horns).

Thanks. The random patterns do work the best. I had tried several different linear woodgrain patterns (not pictured), but the converging lines don't usually look as good within the horn shape. Another plus for the carbon fiber pattern is that in dim lighting conditions, the horns just fade to black.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:16 PM, KT88 said:

Do you have the settings for an active DSP for the HF206? I would like to try it again if, for example, the 500 Hz range gets a little boost. The dispersion behavior in the K402 is very good with the HF206.
Thanks for your reply.

I don't see my notes for the active crossover settings on those. Last year, I switched all my big horns to the Axi-2050 drivers.

20230914_173028.jpg.fecce820d7dd95ee48c31bb21e62b0c9.jpg