Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

The K-55 mid driver aligns better with the narrow throat of the two piece adapter on the left, than it does with the slightly bigger throat of the one piece adapter on the right. It may be a trivial matter, but sometimes the small details add up during the pursuit of excellence.

P1030118.JPG.3fa9c60b006ab6db5f042c9f862dcced.JPG

P1030120.JPG.1bbb7409b43289488b93531e7f80048a.JPG

I have a pair of Brand X speakers next to the K-horns for occasional comparison and demonstration purposes. They measure a fairly flat frequency response and sound nice, but when doing an A-B test between the Brand X (subwoofers ON) and the K-horns (subwoofers OFF) at matched SPLs, the K-horns sound more lively and musical. The Brand X don't get played much.

When the volume goes up, the Klipsch have the huge efficiency advantage and there is no fair comparison. 

P1030141.JPG.d77132848b48f336767ce6d15a8a6679.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

These tri-amped speakers are part of a totally separate stereo system from the other speakers in the room. They are temporarily modified, but just like the others, these Klipschorns can be easily returned to original condition when desired because I saved the parts for that purpose.

P1020896.JPG.5beea17162adcce617dab0be656e55f0.JPG

337807532_P1020952(2).JPG.60b8628febe78ee90a79d23ed28714cc.JPG

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, babadono said:

@Khornukopia Where did you get those adapters? And can you use a 2 or 3 bolt 1" driver on them as opposed to a screw in driver?

I may have bought it from US Speaker.com / speaker accessories / horn adapter. In my picture above, the adapter on the left has the screw on mount added by me for my application.

15 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

@babadono, I am glad you asked. When I read about your wood adapter project a couple weeks ago, I thought of this aluminum adapter as an alternative, but I was really impressed by your wood sawing skill with that project.

Ok you're pulling my leg right? I finally have the hacked pieces sanded smooth enough to mate back together. Mounted some K510 horns and the first driver I will try is the B and C DE10.

I'll take pics later and post in my thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

I may have bought it from US Speaker.com / speaker accessories / horn adapter. In my picture above, the adapter on the left has the screw on mount added by me for my application.

all I see is the one piece at US Speaker. What about the two piece?

22 hours ago, babadono said:

all I see is the one piece at US Speaker. What about the two piece?

I see they sell both pieces, and other sizes too, so you can bolt together the correct adapter for your horn and driver combo. Their web pages may display different to you, depending on your browser.

• 2 weeks later...

The garage Klipschorns have AK-2 split type crossover networks, and the AVR is Bi-Amp capable, an invitation to passive Bi-Amp the system, so l fed some 4 conductor speaker wires up through the attic and down to the front corners of the garage.

I am not aware of an industry standard for speaker wire color codes, so considering typical banana jack colors, I chose red for tweeter positive, black for tweeter negative, and because green is used for chassis ground wires, white for bass positive and green for bass negative.

IMG_4481.JPG.d6ae704b8807856363ac76a160ec3663.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, glens said:

Are they multiple of 57-1/8" long?  That's what matters more than jacket color :)

Yes I have also read about that imaginary specification, so I will go along with your humor.

I placed a spool of 14 gauge OFC, 4 conductor speaker cable on a wooden rod clamped to a step ladder, pulled the wire through an empty junction box, up into and across the attic, then down into the corners where the speakers are. Each wire run was a little over 47 feet long, or more precisely, 571.25 inches long. Everything is good here.   :) 

• 2 weeks later...