Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, No.4 said:

Very interesting.

a unique idea, and beautiful implementation.

nice!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, Coytee said:

Totally agree!

Thanks for the compliments. One of the challenges about this hobby is to keep it looking neat and clean when adding on more equipment and wires. Here is a photo of the back side of the multi-channel power amp in the cabinet pictured above. It is for the Tri-amped Klipschorns.

IMG_5049.JPG.c2ef3b61476428f3ffb1c1c938879ef5.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:51 AM, Shiva said:

Speaking of garage speakers, check out this guy's garage build over at AVS. Big Marti subs, with built in speaker inserts. he calls them the JuggerNogs. Nice!

That got me interested in the Ultimax 18" subwoofer drivers, so I bought a pair last week. The Ultimax's work really good in my big JBL cabinets.

IMG_4977.JPG.045657b8ad7796ac29bcc51be16a4346.JPG

IMG_5057.JPG.fdcc4f6392148058270ce395f770de47.JPG

• Like 1

The original subwoofer pair above the Klipschorns were boosted +6db @25hz and hi-passed @20hz according to JBL recommendation, and put out solid bass down to 22hz. Now with the Ultimax 18 drivers in the same 8 cu.ft. ported cabs and an 18hz hi-pass filter, the response is powerful down to 18hz. It is a noticeable improvement.

I think it is a good idea to hi-pass all subwoofers, so they are not wasting energy on sub-sonic signals outside of their useful frequency response.

• 4 weeks later...

The bi-amped garage speakers get new mid horns. 22" X 10" TE-8180 from Parts Express. The 1" throat is threaded to accept the K-55 screw-in driver. The midrange output is about one decibel quieter with this horn. These horns sound a little "softer", which makes the bass seem to be more powerful. I like it.

IMG_5110.jpg.2fe244282f844e76c8f229756375b8e9.jpg

That is a storage shelf above the speaker, not the garage ceiling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same amp and loved it. Had the preamp HT receiver with it
A few people said things about the power not being what Marantz advertised
But I think it was pretty much on mark with the power they stated. Had super nice mid range and highs though my H1’s and KL-102’s. And runs pretty cool for a large amp with so many channels in one case

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Like 2

When I first thought of putting the K-horns in the garage last year, the corners were packed with garden tools, sports equipment and boxes of old stuff. The place is starting to shape up.

The open space under the speaker does not follow the "rules", but this stereo with NO subwoofer has very powerful bass response. 

IMG_5727.JPG.e753d12cffd975210d4ab57af49a97f5.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting how the sound of the speakers changes when the door is open, if the room is part empty, or when I park my car in the middle of the room. It has a nice balance to it when the door is shut and the car is inside. Fortunate, because that is the usual arrangement when I go out there and turn on the stereo for a quick listen.

IMG_5742.JPG.bcf2292232760fe89aeef05eb7022ab1.JPG

• Like 2

When you have a great sounding system, it is so easy to want to stay home and just listen to one more song after another. So, I buy show tickets that get me going out and listening to music in other rooms. The comparisons between home audio and the variety of live performances are interesting and the entertainment is so much fun to experience.

2019072895152655.jpg.e1924dd3e80308ad66df86130b9ed9bb.jpg