Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

On 11/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, Khornukopia said:

I also added banana jacks, because it makes unplugging and moving speakers around so much easier, especially with a bi-amp configuration.

IMG_3384.thumb.JPG.ff70cb1bb87a1c9b77c9985dbf45a4af.JPG

Are you "passive biamp" these?.  I assume so since you installed an attenuator.  Any external EQ?

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 2:22 AM, jwc said:

Are you "passive biamp" these?.  I assume so since you installed an attenuator. 

Yes, these KPTs are passive bi-amped. The full range signals are powered by the individual amps inside my Pioneer Elite AVR, then the LF and HF sections of the OEM passive crossover perform their respective filtering.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:22 AM, jwc said:

Any external EQ?

The factory OEM configuration sounds pretty good as is, here in my acoustically treated room, but I also like to use the Pioneer MCACC PRO room correction function. When I scroll through the saved settings, I see that some EQ adjustments have been applied, along with the distance, delay, reverb and standing wave corrections.

I really like these speakers.

My first house, although not as nice looking, had a fireplace with shelves on each side. My JBL 4311s worked quite well. Since they are designed to be soffit mounted anyway, they still had plenty of bass when up off the floor.

That's a pretty room...

Bruce

• Like 1

Meanwhile out in the garage, I had been using the very good B+C DE-120 tweeters, but now have brought in the Dayton Audio Planar Horn tweeters, to give them a listen in this space. The TE-8180 mid horns sound good in this room, with the K-55Vs directly threaded on and using the OEM passive crossover. The TE-8180s were a bit tall, so I shaved 1/8" off the top and bottom flanges, and now they fit perfectly inside the top-hat. The mid horn is intentionally off center, so I can mount a K-77 to the side if desired.

IMG_6437.JPG.ea68a9eebb5b0df9c3ed35b8db732783.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG.ec9c693f573382a7e8582ed051c44d22.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Dressing up my other pair of KPT-415 bass cabinets. Cutting some veneer with a matte cutter, a tool normally used when making art picture framing. The spot of green tape is an arrow, to help me keep the woodgrain of all the cut pieces pointing in the same direction on the multiple parts of the total project. 

IMG_3652.JPG.bd482b673297eeff5d965d6bf6481b6a.JPG

• Like 3