Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

The subwoofer cabinets were finished with the full faces intact, so that the clear coat will be smoother around the driver opening after that material is cut away. On the KPT-415 cabinets, I cut the woofer openings first, because I needed the material for the inside of the port holes.

Each project gives me a little more experience, so by the time I finish my home theater, I might be good at this hobby. Got to have the right tools and proper supplies. Adequate work space where the parts can be left undisturbed and a lot of patience helps.

IMG_3692.JPG.183090a56bc73fc43680ed4654f6d864.JPG

• Like 1

Think about TV screen size in these terms:  which row of seats in a cinema corresponds with the view of the TV screen from your usual sitting position?  My 65" Panasonic plasma TV is about 11 feet from me, and that's because it's not mounted to the wall.  Instead, it sits on the Belle Klipsch centre speaker, which brings it about a foot closer.

Even so, it's like sitting in the last row of most movie theatres, in terms of angle of view.  In 2011, when I got it, that was the biggest size available.  If I was buying today, I'd probably be looking at an 80" screen.  That should move me closer to the middle of the theatre, which would make movies and TV shows much more engrossing.

The only odd part about big screen TVs is watching old TV shows, made when most TV screens were between 20 and 27 inches on the diagonal.  As a result, those shows feature lots of facial closeups, because subtle facial expressions were hard to pick out on those small screens.  However, when watching those shows on a big screen, heads are often 2-3 feet tall, which can be a bit more in-your-face than we're accustomed to.  Modern TV shows take this into account, and with less close-in zoom action, seem more normal (but less trippy, of course, heh).

• 4 weeks later...