Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

8 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

When photographed, the horns appear to have white speckles, but they are totally black, with dark black facets and shiny black facets that alternate when the lighting angle or viewing position changes. The smooth surface has a 3-D look that is mesmerizing.

Remember the TV show, "Time Tunnel"? Reminds me of that.

Getting back to work on my bi-amped garage speakers, I mounted the tweeter brackets onto a ball bearing track, so the tweeter diaphragm can be aligned with the squawker diaphragm, to easily compensate for different compression drivers/adapters having different depths. Could have installed the track on-axis with the center line of the speaker, but I chose the offset to move the tweeter(s) away from the garage shelves.

P1030404.JPG.d6e38ff82a74e5a23145ca08bea0e6fe.JPG

P1030405.JPG.fa89be050fab9c69de17f1e4b3a5d9b4.JPG

P1030406.JPG.f261341a9d96a4aa66d53e3dd16e1740.JPG

• Like 1

When photographed, the horns appear to have white speckles, but they are totally black, with dark black facets and shiny black facets that alternate when the lighting angle or viewing position changes. The smooth surface has a 3-D look that is mesmerizing.

P1030350C.JPG.fbc87b9d4b66b7de7b2bc9978ad8f792.JPG
Wow...how did you do that?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

On 4/28/2020 at 3:35 PM, Negatron said:

Wow...how did you do that?

These horns and my woodgrain look K-402 horns are covered with car wrap vinyl. My ultimate plan is to finish the horns with some exotic wood veneer that I bought for the project, but the car wrap vinyl is so much quicker and easier to work on the curved surfaces. As for the vinyl, I recommend buying many different samples, because some finishes look very different than the catalog pictures, especially the woodgrain wraps. Also buy extra material and practice. Then practice some more to get a good feel of what you can do and what you shouldn't do with the vinyl. There are different brands and grades of material, cheap material may be a waste of money. Wrapping a bare plastic horn is okay, but a painted plastic horn is risky because you might peel the non-primed paint that was sprayed on some older theater horns.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 2:30 AM, Khornukopia said:

P1030350C.JPG.fbc87b9d4b66b7de7b2bc9978ad8f792.JPG

"it's full of stars"

• Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 2:32 PM, Khornukopia said:

Left surround speaker. Using the 18" x 10" horn here, to compare with the 17" x 11" on the right surround.

IMG_3783.JPG.23fe41209ce255f627e00291c2f321ee.JPG

OK I am seriously interested in this horn on the 415's. Does it keep up with 4 15" woofers and sound good doing so? I am getting ready to try this out soon with two different drivers.

3 minutes ago, Dave A said:

OK I am seriously interested in this horn on the 415's. Does it keep up with 4 15" woofers and sound good doing so? I am getting ready to try this out soon with two different drivers.

I am using this combo on my center channel and two surround speakers. I have not yet taken the time to measure and analyze them, but a quick auto-calibration with the Pioneer MCACC and they sound great. Now that I am achieving the look that I desire, I will try to spend some time at home (I go out a lot) with a microphone and REW, but my impression is that these horns are really good in this application.