Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

2 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I am using this combo on my center channel and two surround speakers. I have not yet taken the time to measure and analyze them, but a quick auto-calibration with the Pioneer MCACC and they sound great. Now that I am achieving the look that I desire, I will try to spend some time at home (I go out a lot) with a microphone and REW, but my impression is that these horns are really good in this application.

I was hoping to hear that. I have two drivers I am going to try out. One is the B&C DE1095 and the other one the new Eminence N314X-8.

Meanwhile out in the garage, on the right side I am running a three-way OEM crossover, passive bi-amp speaker with a K-55 mid on a 2" adapter and the tweeter that is mounted on a time-alignment adjustable track.

On the left side is a two-way Klipschorn using an active digital electronic crossover and a Radian 2" driver.

All channels powered by a Marantz multi-channel amp. The speakers are normally in the room corners, but rolled out here for the photo. They both sound wonderful.

P1030426C.JPG.cad884b1abdf0337243290462c24d0ff.JPG

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I have two drivers I am going to try out. One is the B&C DE1095 and the other one the new Eminence N314X-8

I have been very interested in that new Eminence carbon fiber driver, ever since you posted about it recently. Please let us know how it works out.

• Like 1

Here is a better picture of my new theater room horns, captured with dimmer lighting. The real life view of the holographic-like pattern shifting makes people ask me if they can touch it.

I also want to thank @Chris A and @Delicious2 for sharing on the forum last year, their ideas about lowering the K-402 horn mounts. When I got mine after that, I lowered my K-402s, which made the big speakers a little more home-friendly.

P1030420C.JPG.f69113f340039991d5150caa4e06e3e4.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My Klipsch KW-120-THX subwoofer pair and KA-1000 power amp had not been used for a long while, so I loaned them to a friend. They sound very powerful and smooth in his 900 sq. ft. living room with 14 ft. high ceiling. Better low bass response in his place than in my house, so the room makes a big difference.

IMG_6875.JPG.5c85e3aacc50659975c48ac610c1f23f.JPG

On 5/3/2020 at 11:27 AM, Khornukopia said:

I have been very interested in that new Eminence carbon fiber driver, ever since you posted about it recently. Please let us know how it works out.

I have not forgotten you I am just buried under other projects more important. Hope to get back to these in a few weeks.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I swapped out the old original K-1133 midrange drivers a few weeks ago and put JBL Selenium D-405 2" drivers on the K-402 horns. These and the B+C DE-120 tweeters and the KPT-415 woofer combination, bi-amped with separate bass/treble passive crossovers sound excellent in my home theater room.

IMG_3880.JPG.62108c60291c6a02cc815c6e7ff56483.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:08 AM, Khornukopia said:

The OEM Klipschorn is very good, but it has always bothered me that the K-400/401 mid horn is mounted on the backside of the motorboard. The shape of the flange on the K-400 makes it difficult to mount on the front of the board, so I just have to use a newer style horn

P1020770.JPG.6c7502fae0d220660459fee16d52e2a1.JPG

Do you intend to recess the horn into the motor board flush?

On 6/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, Ol_mcdonald said:

Do you intend to recess the horn into the motor board flush?

Yes, I did that to the horn on a center channel speaker last year. When I changed that motor board a few months ago, the same horn was surface mounted, because the horn shape looks good on the surface mount, and because it is less work than using the router to cut the recess.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:46 AM, Khornukopia said:

Decided to recess some horn flanges for a smoother appearance.

IMG_4687.JPG.648842b3ae1ec0a14dc737d2f70fe6bb.JPG

Routers are your friend! A template is critical to accuracy when using a router, which is an art in itself. I built a sub last year and when finished I asked my self....why didn't I recess that driver. Next time. What horn/driver is that you used? 

17 hours ago, Ol_mcdonald said:

I built a sub last year and when finished I asked my self....why didn't I recess that driver. Next time. What horn/driver is that you used? 

Recessing the woofer sometimes requires a thicker motor board, especially with a subwoofer. On the mid horn above, I glued on extra backer board where the mounting screws attach.

The horn quoted above is a ZXPC 18x10 and the driver is a K-69A, but I have used a few different drivers, all with good results. If you are modifying a K-horn or La Scala and keeping the passive crossover, the factory stock K-55 with an adapter is a great driver.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, Khornukopia said:

Recessing the woofer sometimes requires a thicker motor board, especially with a subwoofer. On the mid horn above, I glued on extra backer board where the mounting screws attach.

The horn quoted above is a ZXPC 18x10 and the driver is a K-69A, but I have used a few different drivers, all with good results. If you are modifying a K-horn or La Scala and keeping the passive crossover, the factory stock K-55 with an adapter is a great driver.

I'm just OCD and always asking myself why didn't I... Just curious about the drivers and horn, theres a lot of mods and tweaks out there, most seem unpopular to what I assume are the purist. Agreed, absolutely have to increase thickness of motorboard in the area of recess. Its probably in the neighborhood of 1/2" thick. I do my own thing, I have no intention of selling my K horns.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:19 AM, parlophone1 said:

Please share your impressions after recap 🙂

The re-capped crossover was installed on the left front speaker. The stereo was set to Mono. I listened for occasional sessions a couple days, then swapped the OEM crossover from the right front speaker with the re-capped one from the LF. The effect that I seem to be hearing after the left and right swap is that the re-capped crossover is filtering the signal better. The audible difference is subtle, but good enough that I will proceed to re-cap the other crossovers in my system.

The second crossover gets new caps. Now that LF and RF speakers have fresh caps, the notable difference from the old set is, the speaker pair seems as if they are a bigger radiating surface. Cymbals and chimes sound more crisp and clear. 

IMG_3913.JPG.f9f5d52d941439bfd39ac3f4a149a13f.JPG

The tool with the red rubber bulb attachment is a de-soldering iron.

My friend is doing some work on his house, so we brought my KW-120 subwoofers and KA-1000 amp back to my place. Decided to try them with the Klipschorns in the garage. The pair of 12" subwoofers may be undersized for the main speakers, but they sound good and get plenty loud.

IMG_3961.JPG.04a175c770e006f2a02ea2881603a6d6.JPG

• Like 2