Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

From the coatingpaint.com website; "there are some very strict regulations around who can buy Vantablack paint. Only verified companies, research facilities, and educational establishments can order a sample of Vantablack."

I will have to wait to get some of the world's darkest, ultra-flat paint. There is a competitive ultra-flat black paint product becoming available soon that may be a good alternative for home theater applications.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

ALWAYS.

I had a pair of La Scalas that got used in many different spaces, and the comparisons were enlightening. One of the best was a warehouse room about 75 feet by 110 feet with 18 foot high ceiling. That one pair of La Scalas and a stereo receiver could sound almost like a live band in there.

• Like 2

I TOTALLY agree with you.

I dragged a single LaScala outdoors once....  wasn't sure what to play.....thought I'd irritate my neighbors across the lake on the hopes that they're Michigan fans....and put an Ohio State CD on.  Walked around field and it very much sounded like the band was playing live.

As our missing Bart would say....  it was "Top Notch!"

1.JPG

5.JPG

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I had a pair of La Scalas that got used in many different spaces, and the comparisons were enlightening. One of the best was a warehouse room about 75 feet by 110 feet with 18 foot high ceiling. That one pair of La Scalas and a stereo receiver could sound almost like a live band in there.

My backyard used to be 1 acre on the side of a hill. Putting LaScalas on the house's back wall on the cement patio and walking down the hill with Pat Metheny Group's first album made me think that the band was on my patio. Glorious sound, and no subs, which are more expensive and have diminishing returns for most music!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

My backyard used to be 1 acre on the side of a hill. Putting LaScalas on the house's back wall on the cement patio and walking down the hill with Pat Metheny Group's first album made me think that the band was on my patio. Glorious sound, and no subs, which are more expensive and have diminishing returns for most music!

I went to a small outdoor concert many years ago. The band was the Pat Metheny Group, and they were using several Klipsch La Scalas as their main stage speakers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I purposely applied different finishes for comparisons. Bass cabinet face is semi-gloss clear lacquer. The K-402 face frame is satin clear lacquer. Left wing is boiled linseed oil and right wing is tung oil. The oil finishes probably need another coat(s) in a few days before I evaluate those.

P1030721.JPG.1df8e478c2729b3787e3a2b85279877f.JPG

• Like 2

I would love to hear your system in action, its looks both beautiful and formidable. 👍 Any chance of you making a video or two for a little demo? 🤘while not live, better than nothing

I will prepare ahead of time for a just in case.

200.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

What microphones do you recommend for good sound quality, if one were to use a laptop/camera with dual USB inputs for the mics?

I have used an ORTF placement, and it has worked well.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-does-centre-image-suffer-ortf-recording-technique

I have used some Shure SM58 mic's as well as some EV RE-15s, and they both worked pretty well, although the bottom end wasn't too deep. I fiddled with them until what I heard in the headphones sounded close. Some nice ribbons would probably be better. I've also used a coincident pair set up.

This explains a lot of the techniques:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/stereo-recording-techniques-and-setups

Bruce