Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

23 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

The New Jubilee video shows an extension for the phase plug. That would be a significant improvement over the standard Celestion compression driver.

Yes. If it's an additional, external phase plug, or some tiny horn hooked up to the Celestion Phase plug to increase the dispersion angle at 16 Khz., that will be a 1.xx octave improvement over the high frequency dispersion in a K-402, which narrows at 8 Khz. and above when using a K-691 or TAD driver. A bit of brilliant Klipsch engineering modification by Roy if that's the case!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 12:07 PM, Khornukopia said:

Added some decorative trim.

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

How did you come up with the dimensions of the mumps?

I like the shapes of the newer Klipsch mid-range horns, so I studied pictures of the other horns to find the proportions for my decorative trim.  

Maybe the existing K-402 is perfect as is, considering how long it has been in production without an upgrade, but I enjoy making things that look interesting, and my Klipsch speakers are a favorite subject of my creative ideas. 

• Like 3

My understanding is that the mumps were applied to give a better control of the dispersion down to lower frequencies (on-axis and off-axis freq response would be more similar). Were you able to make any before and after measures?

I will say those finishes are quite spectacular. I will guess is that it much harder than it looks (not that it even comes close to looking easy). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

My understanding is that the mumps were applied to give a better control of the dispersion down to lower frequencies (on-axis and off-axis freq response would be more similar). Were you able to make any before and after measures?

I will say those finishes are quite spectacular. I will guess is that it much harder than it looks (not that it even comes close to looking easy). 

The horns were excellent to begin with, they are still excellent after the decorative trim was applied, and now they are more attractive, IMHO. The proper measuring and testing are probably best done by Klipsch engineers, but when listening to my Klipsch speakers, the music is so enchanting it sometimes sounds as if I am in a dream.

Thanks for the compliment on the finishes. The labor is time consuming, but it's fun to work on these projects.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

and now they are more attractive, IMHO

I'm like 1,927.5937659475934732 % sure that you are not alone with that assessment.  

Note that I took some liberty in rounding the fraction UP to make it feel more inclusive.

• Like 2

Attached a 5" thick butcher block top to a table base that has an electric servo height adjustment and retractable caster wheels. Nice to roll it up alongside another workbench and match the level of the table tops. Very convenient when working on long objects.

DSCF0697.JPG.7ee4e5ef0a77fd634a8fc65fdf61d89f.JPG

DSCF0694.JPG.f0c9d384a899bab7386b070062f0fb03.JPG

• Like 1

I need to continue practicing the art of veneering, if I am to become good at it. Have never worked in the wood or cabinet industry, so I buy tools and materials and learn as I go along. This Mappa burl is very nice and I seriously considered using it on my speakers, but as I discovered from this piece (pardon the rough edges, it is just a sample I quickly glued up and clear coated) lighter colors are not ideal for semi-darkened home theater rooms.

P1030847.JPG.4428aac426c920849c543666f386d676.JPG

• Like 5