Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

22 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

While browsing the picture files saw this one of the clear Klipschorn. Paul Klipsch really was a genius.

185207112_plexiglasklipschorn.jpg.2b482886be1ac6ffbbb782bc95411e5b.jpg

I have a picture of these and PWK with my ex-wife from back in 1985 during my visit to Hope. They are spectacular when you actually see them in 3D! I remember reading that it took 1,300 man hours to build!! They wanted to use a Laser to measure the cone motion on the Khorn at 120 db output, or some such thing, to verify that the woofer did not move more the 1/16th of an inch at full output!!!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have a picture of these and PWK with my ex-wife from back in 1985 during my visit to Hope. They are spectacular when you actually see them in 3D!

Lucky you !

On 3/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I remember reading that it took 1,300 man hours to build!! They wanted to use a Laser to measure the cone motion on the Khorn at 120 db output, or some such thing, to verify that the woofer did not move more the 1/16th of an inch at full output!!!

I once made a thick clear plexiglas panel for the woofer access door on a Klipschorn so I could watch the woofer. Never did see any cone motion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Lucky you !

I once made a thick clear plexiglas panel for the woofer access door on a Klipschorn so I could watch the woofer. Never did see any cone motion.

There you go. It's why horns are such good acoustic transformers. The resultant miniscule cone motion is a direct result of that optimization which reduces Intermodulation Distortion much faster than the gain in efficiency!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 2:20 PM, Khornukopia said:

My friend is doing some work on his house, so we brought my KW-120 subwoofers and KA-1000 amp back to my place. Decided to try them with the Klipschorns in the garage. The pair of 12" subwoofers may be undersized for the main speakers, but they sound good and get plenty loud.

IMG_3961.JPG.04a175c770e006f2a02ea2881603a6d6.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 6:18 PM, IndyKlipschFan said:

I use the 2Ultra 2  subs and ka amp with Jubilees, once dialed in, work very well in my yamaha system! 

The Klipsch KW-120 subwoofers and KA-1000 amp system sound really good. The set I had are now back in my friend's home theater, but this time he insisted on paying for, and keeping them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, Tarheel TJ said:

That burl veneered K-402. 😲

Beautiful!

Thanks. The burl finish on the K-402 pictured earlier is a vinyl wrap. I plan on replacing it with better looking real wood veneer so that it matches up with the genuine wood veneer of the bass bins.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 12:31 PM, Khornukopia said:

so I wrapped mahogany veneer around the water heater. 

ok, so it's intervention time....  repeat after me...."I have a veneer everything I can touch problem"....

Gads, I don't want to see your dog!  lol

Though I WOULD expect him to be end-grain matched.  :emotion-14:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Coytee said:

ok, so it's intervention time....  repeat after me...."I have a veneer everything I can touch problem"....

You may be right. Everything I have shown you so far is just practice for when I get around to the veneers that require a higher level of expertise. I am now experimenting with different dye stains for my next project.

DSCF0792.JPG.d884d6d49b18d4f1507b49fc56ffa162.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had some big old cabinets sitting around, so I pulled the original sub drivers out, veneered the cabinet faces and swapped in some 18" Ultimax subwoofer drivers, shown here inside out. These Ultimax have dual 2 Ohm voice coils, but for my application I connect the voice coils in series to give the amplifier a nominal 4 Ohm load. 

DSCF0862.JPG.ff44cb2597fd897a4b86476fd6213aca.JPG

• Like 1