Khornukopia

17 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

The Sound ...

Well, "horny"

The JBL 2360 sound fantastic with the KH But my room is too small for the throw

They are part of the garage stereo now My neighbors may enjoy them also 😆😆😆

The 2360As sound great with Qpies.

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

Those would fit nicely on top of your big MWM woofer cabinets.

I no longer have the MWMs... 😉

Going to build some minipunches... and everything will be fine. Nothing beat the MWMs, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When the garage speakers were previously PASSIVE BI-AMPED with the built-in amps of my AVR, I selected the internal BI-AMP configuration on the Speaker Settings Menu, and also the 4 Ohm Speaker Setting, because the Onkyo TX-NR1007 manual simply states "If the impedance of any speaker is 4 Ohms or more but less than 6, set the minimum speaker impedance to 4 ohms." My presumption was that the 4 Ohm setting optimizes the amplifier outputs to the Low Ohm speaker load, since the owner's manual did not say anything else about that mode selection. 

Well, thanks to @314carpenterand @captainbeefheart I have recently learned that this 4 Ohm menu option is not the best choice, because it actually lowers the voltage supplied to the power amp, reducing the total available wattage output. The opposite of what I presumed of that option.

It seems that the reason several receiver companies incorporate this optional reduced power mode is to allow the units to pass a certain Low Ohm impedance qualification test without overheating. Most Klipsch speaker owners would probably never notice the power reduction, and I never experienced a problem, but if I paid for 135 Watts, I might as well set the mode (high ohms) that provides the entire available wattage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ran Faitals on my EV HP640s, thought it was a great sounding driver. I too seen those in the garage sale, but then I would have had to reconfigure somethings with the current system which I am not ready to do right now.

Thanks for your tip on the AVR settings, now I have something to check and see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2022 at 8:07 PM, The Dude said:

Ran Faitals on my EV HP640s, thought it was a great sounding driver. I too seen those in the garage sale, but then I would have had to reconfigure somethings with the current system which I am not ready to do right now.

Thanks for your tip on the AVR settings, now I have something to check and see if it makes a difference.

The Faitals are good. Have not equalized and optimized them yet, still working on all the reconfiguring involved!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 6:08 PM, Khornukopia said:

The K-402 horn on top of a La Scala bass cabinet.

DSCF1072.JPG.e5cfed39c33c7abc87b494f5b33fe2d6.JPG

Khornukopia, I have a pair of ZXPC 18x10 horns on their way to me, may I ask what kind of paint job you used for the copper color? was it easy to apply? does it hold on good on the horn? I think it looked great

thanks!

On 2/5/2022 at 6:03 AM, Rolox said:

Khornukopia, I have a pair of ZXPC 18x10 horns on their way to me, may I ask what kind of paint job you used for the copper color? was it easy to apply? does it hold on good on the horn? I think it looked great

thanks!

search this thread for "vinyl".

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 4:03 AM, Rolox said:

thanks!

The horn in the picture you reference is covered with a vinyl wrap. It is self-adhesive, so it can be easy to learn how to apply it.

Some of my other horns are painted. If you go that way, I recommend a turn-table so the horn can be rotated while you stand still and spray the paint.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, @Emilewas describing on another thread about a pair of horn brackets he had given away. I can't find that thread right now to comment, so here is the full story. Years ago, Emile posted on the Garage Sale that he was giving away the brackets from his K-510 horns, so I asked for them and they were mailed cross-country. A year later, he needed them and I was between speaker projects so I mailed the brackets back to him. Later, his speaker system evolved and he offered them back to me. The brackets have held up many drivers and horns, right now supporting some Faitals on the garage K-402s.

20220311_183042.jpg.dd4f45c0cf3be35efde8a61fe8f8987a.jpg

• Haha 1