Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

Pardon the mis-matched colors, just sizing things up with parts that are sitting around the shop.

Pure random chance that my old K-horn insert is the same width as the FH-1 cabs with thickened sidewalls.

20220520_184236.jpg.1486512f0a50cd8d6426a75632f1ae6f.jpg

These are getting heavier each day. Glad to have adjustable workbenches.

20220520_184403.jpg.e923f35d5ded9e63de58383426e516a0.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delicious2 said:

Why? Haven’t seen that done before.  Thread link?

I had chosen to remove the external OEM cross-braces for aesthetic reasons with the veneer project. Therefore, I needed to reinforce the cabinet walls to compensate. I glued the MDF panels and internal cross-brace inside the dog-house, and glued the birch plywood onto the outer sidewalls. If someone is just repainting their FH-1 cabinets, it would be much easier to leave the original "wings" in place and avoid the extra work. I didn't start another thread.

• Like 1

It's good you got new woofers, the Peavey Black Widows aren't very spectacular.

What is the compression slot width for the FH-1? It's wider than the 3 inch slot in the La Scalas, yes?

25 minutes ago, Marvel said:

It's good you got new woofers, the Peavey Black Widows aren't very spectacular.

What is the compression slot width for the FH-1? It's wider than the 3 inch slot in the La Scalas, yes?

I was glad to buy empty cabinets at a discount, so I could install new Eminence woofers.

The slot width is about 5 inches wide but the splitter is larger. There is a picture near the bottom of page 31 of this thread.

• Thanks 1

The magnets are very strong. Do not allow a fingertip to get between two loose neo-magnets.

I like the magnet mount system, but the bolt mount method does fit closer to the body of the horn. My frames inside edges are square cut, because that was the easiest way to cut and veneer them. Yes, a beveled inside edge would be better. 

My first "picture frame" for the K-402 was made from woodgrain painted U shaped aluminum channel and it had a very low profile, so there are several different ways to build them.

On the frame I built yesterday, which is thicker (12mm) than the previous models, I installed plastic inserts into blind holes. This way a screw is inserted through the back side of an existing mounting hole on the horn flange, into the insert and tightened to secure the frame.

20220526_205428.jpg.3212d4a5d6e7186af4ae2821064f6379.jpg