Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

The Klipschorns with the K-55V drivers w/adapters on the JBL mid-horns, B&C DE-120 drivers on FaitalPro LTH-102 tweeter horns, AK-2 crossovers w/Dayton caps and the original K-33 woofers are now fully functional. 

The easiest way to wire this up was to dig out and plug in a 30 year old Sony ES receiver and a CD player.

When the dusty old CD player powered on, it indicated there was a disc loading so I just pressed the play button. Dark Side of the Moon started up and the sound of these Klipschorns gave me goosebumps. 

Listening to Mozart now and the "soundstage" of the orchestra is very full and spacious. I like it!

P1030997.JPG.c5e94ae3ea7abd180df837cd7c0583c2.JPG

• Like 3

Listened to a mix-disc of electronic dance music through the Klipschorns with the volume knob at the eleven o'clock position on the cheap old 70 watt receiver. Good way to find out which windows and pieces of furniture rattle. These speakers sound fun and lively. The bass response is amazing.

19 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Listened to a mix-disc of electronic dance music through the Klipschorns with the volume knob at the eleven o'clock position on the cheap old 70 watt receiver. Good way to find out w

hich windows and pieces of furniture rattle. These speakers sound fun and lively. The bass response is amazing.

I guess, we'll just have to take your word for that.😃

A very impressive room and front stage.   Love the single recliner, time for immersion. 👍

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

A very impressive room and front stage.   Love the single recliner, time for immersion. 👍

Thanks. The main listening positions are in the row of La-Z-Boy recliners at the back of the room, but that single seat is a good spot also.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Thanks. The main listening positions are in the row of La-Z-Boy recliners at the back of the room, but that single seat is a good spot also.

So you listen to 2 channel music with synthesis to 5, 6, 7,9, or 11 channels, Plus Subs?

The Klipschorns are now passive Bi-Amped and are sounding excellent! Using 4 channels of the Marantz MA-7055. The volume control is handled by the Marantz AV-8801 with XLR interconnects. The KPT speakers are part of an independent system, only being used as equipment stands in this picture.

20220603_183525.jpg.5fe633826cefaef189defcc89e9ba5c3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2022 at 1:23 PM, Khornukopia said:

Listened to a mix-disc of electronic dance music through the Klipschorns with the volume knob at the eleven o'clock position on the cheap old 70 watt receiver. Good way to find out which windows and pieces of furniture rattle.

On 6/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, Shiva said:

I guess, we'll just have to take your word for that.😃

20220603_123750.jpg.4d7bb8cd8d6c83b7f81797a6b06868b9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

So you listen to 2 channel music with synthesis to 5, 6, 7,9, or 11 channels, Plus Subs?

The Klipschorns are 2 channel only. The KPT home theater speaker system is 5.2 and when listening to music thru those it is most often in 2 channel mode, with or without subs, depending on the type of music. 

• Like 1

Vintage amplifier is powering the left channel Klipschorn, bi-amped. Two channels of the modern amplifier are powering the right channel Klipschorn. Output levels matched and producing very similar sound from both, which is good indicator for that brand. In a day or two, I will swap speaker wire connections, left to right and listen for any notable differences.

20220606_230741.jpg.25aedc7802bd5a24a08fa23f60dc2814.jpg

12 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

The taller tweeter bumped into an obstacle, the built-in upper shelf of the garage. Picture looking down at the shelf that has now been properly contoured to fit around the speaker horn.

20220525_221904.jpg.c08610b3d4ff17430c12e10175ce7e94.jpg

I've looked at this "tweeter" picture about 5 times... but in the end, I'm glad you took another picture, which reasoned with the shadows' end result lol....

... o O (like) - 1st observation - Mr Knornukopia fixed that problem shelf...

... o O (2nd observation) - Did he really make that nice chiseled relief for that dad-gummed shelf ????

.... o O ( 3rd look ) I believe he really cut that 402, but why .....

...... o O ( 4th ) oh... here comes 2 or 3 pages about gluing abs stuff lol

..... o O ( 5 ) phew, I'm glad the 2nd picture restored my belief in the lesser of two materials receiving the teeth of that reciprocating saw !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, windashine said:

I've looked at this "tweeter" picture about 5 times... but in the end, I'm glad you took another picture, which reasoned with the shadows' end result lol....

Now that you point it out, I see how the shadow in the picture can cause the illusion on the horn itself.

Listening to the Altec 802-8G driver on an Altec 511B horn. I had wanted to build some replica Voice of the Theater boxes a few months ago but, the empty FH-1 boxes became available locally, and took me down a better path. The folded horn woofer cabinet is a superior design.

20220610_000638.jpg.7a4d9f5399ecfc0aee04e307e4dd6521.jpg