Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting to watch the power level meters. Most normal listening with the Klipschorns is below 1 watt. The needles constantly bounce around, of course. When the mood strikes and the volume increases, the meters will reach toward the 10 watts mark. That is pretty loud. Past that becomes too loud, but I notice that when the meters are showing 15 watts, that the 150 watt peak indicators will flash at times. Good to have 10X headroom, even if you don't think you need it.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, Khornukopia said:

Got myself an equipment rack. It has built-in variable speed fans. I will add a thermostat.

I've got my stuff in a closet (which is next to garage).  It has louvered doors on the front so SOME air can get in there....  I've thought about how to get heat out but, it doesn't seem to be a major issue as I usually have doors open when in use.

None the less, my idea is/was (I've not done it yet....and may not do it)  anyway, my idea is to put some ducting from ceiling of closet into garage and let it empty into garage.  On the garage side of the duct, put an in-line fan to pull air out of closet, into garage.  Tie the fan to one of the switches I use to turn power on so the fan is on if stereo is on.

Don't know if I'll ever do it, heat buildup doesn't seem to be an issue yet.  Also, I have two of my amps out in the room, sitting on the back side of the Undergrounders, behind the K402 so that takes care of itself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

That's a Server Rack. 😀

Functions very well for my audio equipment. The extra depth in back for power outlet strips and wire management is handy.  Mine also has ventilated shelves with 4 corner mount bolts to support any gear without rackmount ears.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

I've got my stuff in a closet (which is next to garage).  It has louvered doors on the front so SOME air can get in there....  I've thought about how to get heat out but, it doesn't seem to be a major issue as I usually have doors open when in use...

My equipment was previously in a closet with an open front and back. I had a quiet little fan in the closet. Just a small draft to stir the air around the amps is very helpful to reduce hot spots.

22 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Yes, having an independent stereo set-up in the same room with a home theater system is just an excuse to buy more wires. 😁

What I did on mine....

Under the stairs, was a water heater.  I moved it to inside the garage, next to HVAC system (air handlier)

Closet now empty, put a shelf in.  I put sheetrock BELOW the shelf to floor so it's only a 1/2 closet.  Around the corner, is one of the openings that my LaScala slides through so it actually sits UNDER the rack.

Wired things.  When it came to the rear wall, THIS is where I went nuts with a plethora of outlets, XLR connectors, RCA connectors, CAT-5 connectors, HDMI....

Now, on the OTHER side of this wall (so now I'm under the stairs looking at the back side of the wires)  instead of putting sheetrock up, I put a 3/4" panel of plywood.

If I need to access the wires inside the wall from the rear, I simply take plywood down (held on by 4-6 screws, I don't recall)

But, this plywood is now a perfect home to mount my DTV splitter, Wireless transmitter and tie down the extra wires I have to it so they are all looking nice.

If I didn't know that I'd done this myself, I would never have believed myself.

No pictures of the other side of wall with the plywood.

2.jpg

boxes.jpg

Closet.jpg

Legs.jpg

Rack.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/12/2022 at 2:42 PM, Khornukopia said:

Interesting to watch the power level meters. Most normal listening with the Klipschorns is below 1 watt. The needles constantly bounce around, of course. When the mood strikes and the volume increases, the meters will reach toward the 10 watts mark. That is pretty loud. Past that becomes too loud, but I notice that when the meters are showing 15 watts, that the 150 watt peak indicators will flash at times. Good to have 10X headroom, even if you don't think you need it.

Back in 1977, when I got my first pair of Khorns, I got a Radio Shack LED power meter. When I hit 10 Watt peaks, it was way too loud. So basically I experienced the same TRUTH in my early 20's, and it will be the same 50 years from now!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I was expecting to see a bunch of orange outlets!

They are actually out in the room where I put a (hot line plus switched line) ABOVE the K402, with the logic of if I ever put a tube amp for the 402, I'd need power (and my old MC-30's had a short cord so I wanted power nearby)

I then have another pair of (hot and switched lines) of orange outlets above the bass bin on the Jubilee's.  So each front speaker location has an upper set of power and a lower set of power.

THOSE are, much to the horror of my wife, the orange ones.  I told her very specifically "plug NOTHING into an orange outlet, it is for stereo stuff only" (because I have all these split among four 20 amp circuits and all switched outlets are controlled at the wall......I don't want her frustrated because the cleaner doesn't work when all she had to do was flip a stupid switch!)