Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Used plywood for the side panels, because of its superior strength and screw holding ability, and MDF for the motorboard, because of its its high density, anti-resonant properties. Actually, just used some leftover wood of convenient sizes. When sawing the big horn hole, I stopped short of the corners because it is easier to veneer and stain a full panel than one with extra edges.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, windashine said:

Do you use a clear grain filler before the clear coat ?

No I did not use any filler. I fine sanded the veneer, vacuumed it, air blasted it and lightly wiped the surface with a painter's tack cloth, stained, then sprayed clear furniture lacquer. If I used filler and had a smoother surface, the wood could have more of a "glow" but I wanted the finished surface of the clear coat to have the texture show, so it doesn't look like flawless plastic. There is still a lot for me to learn, so I am open to any suggestions or advice.

• Like 1

I've never used it either, but I have a can of CrystaLac that I got for a guitar body build, that I eventually sent off to have "it done"... I was just wondering, I guess, to save a trial and clean-up thing, you know, nevertheless, maybe on the next one... your opening picture is unique btw... I use a solid wood core 32" door on two metal sawhorses for a work bench project center in the back bedroom (like a carpeted garage - without the truck in there)