Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

33 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

What are your thoughts so far on the khorn bass bins Vs 415s?

The Klipschorns are much better looking.

The KPT 415, K-402 and K-510 combo is very natural sounding when I listen to recordings of acoustic instruments. When playing heavy beat music, these speakers remind me of the powerful sound in dance clubs with huge sound systems. Listening to movie soundtracks, they sound like a huge IMAX system.

The KPTs will be my main stereo speakers now, but I still love the Klipschorns and will continue listening to them in other applications.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While the horn was removed, I made a new mounting bracket for the tweeter to physically align with the mid-range driver. Here are the measurements in inches from my ears to the tweeter bug screen (top number), squawker bug screen (middle number), and a woofer cone dust cap (bottom number).

IMG_3424.JPG.41072e7f6057338f3e28dfc73491c120.JPG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, babadono said:

How was this done?

I applied self adhesive wood grain vinyl wrap to the 402 horn. The curves of the horn make it very difficult to use the wood veneer I desired. I had thought about this for years, while reading the forum and being hypnotized into wanting K-402s. I do want to acknowledge that @richieb had recently posted about having his horns vinyl wrapped, weeks before I bought mine.

• Like 1

I applied self adhesive wood grain vinyl wrap to the 402 horn. The curves of the horn make it very difficult to use the wood veneer I desired. I had thought about this for years, while reading the forum and being hypnotized into wanting K-402s. I do want to acknowledge that [mention=12470]richieb[/mention] had recently posted about having his horns vinyl wrapped, weeks before I bought mine.   

I love it! I would love to do it to my k402s... any info would be appreciated as to how you did it.

Where did you get the wrap,?

What was the cabinet made of, and what was the cabinet thickness?

How hard was it to get the straight cut seams like you did?

I watched a YouTube video a while back where they were doing carbon fiber dips, and the results were awesome. I would love to have that done, but no one does that in Mexico as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 9:41 PM, Ron E said:

I love it! I would love to do it to my k402s... any info would be appreciated as to how you did it.

Where did you get the wrap,?

I bought the vinyl wrap from Amazon. The VViVid brand, it is 4 feet wide and available in different lengths. Used 9 linear feet on the pair of K-402 horns. I suggest ordering samples, because some of the wood grain vinyl colors are unusual.

How hard was it to get the straight cut seams like you did?

This was my first vinyl wrap experience, so I watched youtube videos, bought an installation tool kit and a 50 foot roll of "knifeless tape", the thin green line in the corners of the horn in my picture below. It is taped down where you want to make a cut, and the vinyl is layed and squeegeed. Then you pull the thin filament string of the knifeless tape up, which cuts through the vinyl. You do this for each layer, allowing a very slight overlap on the second layer to avoid leaving a gap.

IMG_3397C.JPG.0d244e362acc779b00af7f5cead5df69.JPG

What was the cabinet made of, and what was the cabinet thickness?

If you are you asking about the "picture frame", I will describe it in the next post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/23/2019 at 8:51 AM, Shiva said:

Your framed horns look great.

Thanks. The picture frame does give it a nice finished look. I veneered a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood, sawed it into 2" wide strips, cut the ends with a miter saw, then glued and clamped it together. I attached 4 neo magnets to the frame and used 4 wide head, low profile bolts for the horn flange mounting brackets. The magnetic attachment allows easy removal for possible color changes, or to listen for any acoustic interference.

IMG_3442C.JPG.1394f41be0d654ef6564e1290f8dcc91.JPG

• Like 2