Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

On 11/1/2019 at 5:02 PM, Khornukopia said:

A "picture frame" of wood veneer transforms the K-402 into a beautiful horn.

1254081822_K-402onK-horn.jpg.42d75e0f7be42bb1b80bc42b7d923f63.jpg

Wow....that’s very nice. Did you do the wood veneer yourself or have someone don it for you. Is the center veneer on the Jubilee the Klispch walnut? If one were to order the Jubilee with the walnut veneer, I wonder how a red stained cheery veneer would look like for the bass bin and top horn sections. Hmmm, you guys and gals, if any here, are really making me salivate over the Jubilees. Now that I see we can add wood veneers to pretty it up to give it that specific character, I am leaning towards selling my B&Ws and purchasing these outright. 

if you don’t mind, and you can converse with me via PM, how did you achieve this amazing wood veneer feat? Where did you source the wood, how did you make the cuts, assembly, etc. I am a complete novice wood worker and would have to outsource or hire someone directly, someone here, hint, to help me. Really, this is beautiful and something my wife would not complain about after spending money on a new speaker direction that I am going, thanks to you all, and after my audition this morning of Jubilees with the TAD 4002 horn. I never knew that horns could sound so good, and better my current speakers in terms of sheer dynamics and bass, wow! 

On 11/24/2019 at 11:06 PM, Khornukopia said:

I bought the vinyl wrap from Amazon. The VViVid brand, it is 4 feet wide and available in different lengths. Used 9 linear feet on the pair of K-402 horns. I suggest ordering samples, because some of the wood grain vinyl colors are unusual.

This was my first vinyl wrap experience, so I watched youtube videos, bought an installation tool kit and a 50 foot roll of "knifeless tape", the thin green line in the corners of the horn in my picture below. It is taped down where you want to make a cut, and the vinyl is layed and squeegeed. Then you pull the thin filament string of the knifeless tape up, which cuts through the vinyl. You do this for each layer, allowing a very slight overlap on the second layer to avoid leaving a gap.

IMG_3397C.JPG.0d244e362acc779b00af7f5cead5df69.JPG

If you are you asking about the "picture frame", I will describe it in the next post.

Hmmmm...I think even an idiot (as far woodworking goes) like me could do this:)

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 12:40 PM, audioquest4life said:

Wow....that’s very nice. Did you do the wood veneer yourself or have someone don it for you. Is the center veneer on the Jubilee the Klispch walnut? If one were to order the Jubilee with the walnut veneer, I wonder how a red stained cheery veneer would look like for the bass bin and top horn sections. Hmmm, you guys and gals, if any here, are really making me salivate over the Jubilees. Now that I see we can add wood veneers to pretty it up to give it that specific character, I am leaning towards selling my B&Ws and purchasing these outright. 

if you don’t mind, and you can converse with me via PM, how did you achieve this amazing wood veneer feat? Where did you source the wood, how did you make the cuts, assembly, etc. I am a complete novice wood worker and would have to outsource or hire someone directly, someone here, hint, to help me. Really, this is beautiful and something my wife would not complain about after spending money on a new speaker direction that I am going, thanks to you all, and after my audition this morning of Jubilees with the TAD 4002 horn. I never knew that horns could sound so good, and better my current speakers in terms of sheer dynamics and bass, wow! 

Thanks. My pictures show the Rosewood Klipschorns, but if you order a similar finish on your new Jubilees, they would also be very attractive.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, Khornukopia said:

The Klipschorns are much better looking.

The KPT 415, K-402 and K-510 combo is very natural sounding when I listen to recordings of acoustic instruments. When playing heavy beat music, these speakers remind me of the powerful sound in dance clubs with huge sound systems. Listening to movie soundtracks, they sound like a huge IMAX system.

The KPTs will be my main stereo speakers now, but I still love the Klipschorns and will continue listening to them in other applications.

Now....you have some real bass slam.  8 cast frame 15s in your face. Love it.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, Khornukopia said:

The Klipschorns are much better looking.

The KPT 415, K-402 and K-510 combo is very natural sounding when I listen to recordings of acoustic instruments. When playing heavy beat music, these speakers remind me of the powerful sound in dance clubs with huge sound systems. Listening to movie soundtracks, they sound like a huge IMAX system.

The KPTs will be my main stereo speakers now, but I still love the Klipschorns and will continue listening to them in other applications.

Now....you have some real bass slam.  8 cast frame 15s in your face. Love it.

• Moderators
On 11/1/2019 at 4:02 PM, Khornukopia said:

A "picture frame" of wood veneer transforms the K-402 into a beautiful horn.

I thought of that same thing a few years ago since my wife does not want cloth over the horn, I didn't want cloth either. I just never got around to doing it BUT after seeing yours I might have to get off my butt and do it !

Very nice and good work on all of it, you definitely have patience. I am definitely not brave enough to vinyl the inside (or outside), it would positively not come out like yours  If I tried that they would probably end up with mumps and not the good kind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1