Bi-Amped K-Horn + K-402 horns w/ KPT-415 woofers

Khornukopia

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:53 AM, windashine said:

Somehow, I think a line array tweeter is sitting in there.

It is the Dayton Audio Planar Horn tweeter. The 105 db sensitivity allows it to be used with a stock passive crossover. Sounds very good and it's dispersion pattern is well suited to the setback from the front edge of the speaker for time alignment positioning. In my case, it is bolted to the overhead shelf.

• Like 4

I removed the K-55 with adapter from the right channel and installed a Selenium D-405. I wired in an outboard L-pad, but turns out the D-405 is a close level match with the K-55 still in the left channel. This is with the stock passive crossover and no auto-correction or EQ applied. I will compare the two drivers this way for the next couple weeks.

P1020856.JPG.6a395dc4936462cf58c5856ae7dafc98.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Dayton Planar Horn tweeter and the 18"X10" horn with the Selenium D-405, connected to the original AK(1) crossover network produces a very pleasant sound, so I will continue enjoying this arrangement for a while.

These are powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-LX 901 which allows me to passive bi-amp all five speakers in my home theater, so I will utilize the split crossovers in the four K-horns and center channel La Scala. The room is pre-wired for bi-amp. I like to power each woofer with its own amplifier channel. On top of the usual good reasons for bi-amping, another sonic improvement from this passive bi-amp configuration is that the MCACC room correction applies its time alignment process to the bass and treble channels. 

P1020900.JPG.28128798ae09e69bf2929ef45e6af768.JPGP1020901.JPG.b0633ae1b74058b311c24c45a91026d1.JPG

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The Dayton Planar Horn tweeter and the 18"X10" horn with the Selenium D-405,

connected to the original AK(1) crossover network produces a very pleasant sound, so I will continue enjoying this arrangement for a while.

I love all the innovative out-of-the-box thinking you've done with the drivers and horns.  I used a large 12" SEOS Waveguide with a much larger compression driver to replace the OEM K-77 tweeter in my 1978 Khorns and the increase in SQ was immediate and dramatic. 

I do have a question for you; is that the stock AK crossover?  That would have been the first thing I would have replaced.

• Like 1