New member... just joined!

old_school_55

2 hours ago, old_school_55 said:

I'm located in San Jose, CA and my budget is roughly $200-300 +/- $50.

I'm starting with 2 channels and may upgrade to 2.1 in the future.

I saw a pair of KG 4.2 speakers on CL for $250 and wondered if that's a good price. 

If all the drivers work, it’s a decent price, I would think.  Offer $175, wanting to meet near the middle at $200.  

I personally would pick up the Chorus II’s  in Santa Cruz, a great deal at $295

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

If all the drivers work, it’s a decent price, I would think.  Offer $175, wanting to meet near the middle at $200.  

I personally would pick up the Chorus II’s  in Santa Cruz, a great deal at $295

Thanks...but I'm a dummy on some of the technical aspects and new to speaker shopping... how do I check if the drivers works?

Can you share where the Chorus II's in Santa Cruz are listed... here on Garage Sale? I just looked at CL and eBay and didn't see them.

3 hours ago, old_school_55 said:

Thanks...but I'm a dummy on some of the technical aspects and new to speaker shopping... how do I check if the drivers works?

Can you share where the Chorus II's in Santa Cruz are listed... here on Garage Sale? I just looked at CL and eBay and didn't see them.

Klipsch Chorus Speakers (Santa Cruz Craigslist). $295 is stupid low. If this is legit then run, don't walk, to the seller.
Klipsch Heresy's in East Oakland. An incredible price for dipping your toes into Klipsch Heritage series speakers.

Klipsch kg4's (Vallejo/Benicia). Play lower than the Heresy's. Not Heritage series but sure to bring a smile to your face.

Another pair of Heresy's in Rohnert Park at an excellent price.

Heresy's in Dublin. Still a very good price.

Here's a pair of kg3.2's in Santa Rosa.

You've got a lot of options in your area. Get the Heresy's if you MUST satisfy your curiosity of what all the fuss is about Klipsch speakers. The only catch is, they don't play as low as the speaker's size would suggest.

Get the Chorus' over the Heresy's if the seller is honest; I'm not too crazy about errors in the ad, which reflects on the seller.These speakers will rip your lungs out.

The kg4's will play lower than the Heresy's but they lack a horn midrange driver; you may not be getting the full Klipsch, horn loaded sound (minus the woofer of course). All the reviews I've read consider these far outperforming their price.

The 3.2's are a budget version of the kg4's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, old_school_55 said:

The speakers will either be a 2-way or 3-way, but usually a 3-way design.  One Woofer ('normal' coned speaker) for bass, one Squawker (horn) for midrange, and one Tweeter (also horn) for the high end.  Use a paper towel tube, put one end next to your ear, and the other end next to the opening of the horns.  It will be obvious if sound is coming out, or not.  Woofers are easy to tell if they are producing sound.

I really like the sound of the KG4's, it's why I own two pair.  The first were given to me by my brother in law, and they are what started me on my Klipsch quest.  I liked the sound so much I bought a second pair for $200 in pristine shape. 

Once you pick up a set, be careful when moving veneered speakers around, especially on carpet.  One snag, and you can pull a strip of wood loose.  Or break it off completely.

16 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Klipsch Chorus Speakers (Santa Cruz Craigslist). $295 is stupid low. If this is legit then run, don't walk, to the seller.

Get the Chorus' over the Heresy's if the seller is honest; I'm not too crazy about errors in the ad, which reflects on the seller.These speakers will rip your lungs out.

I called the Santa Cruz number last night on the Chorus speakers... seller didn't pick up and voicemail box was full!

Thanks for the tip on checking out the drivers!  I'm going to check out a pair of KG 4.2's today here in San Jose. 

Edited by old_school_55

57 minutes ago, old_school_55 said:

I'm now the proud owner of my first pair of Klipsch speakers!

Picked up a pair of KG 4.2s yesterday that are in nice shape and auditioned very well.  I'll share more after I get them set up.

Congratulations on your new pair!

I had a pair of kg4.2's. An incredible speaker at a budget price.

FYI; those speakers originally came with spiked feet that slipped into holes on the underside of the speaker. The spikes had plastic covers which you could install if the speakers were to rest on hardwood or other type floor. These feet can sometimes be found on eBay.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, Peter P. said:

FYI; those speakers originally came with spiked feet that slipped into holes on the underside of the speaker. The spikes had plastic covers which you could install if the speakers were to rest on hardwood or other type floor. These feet can sometimes be found on eBay.

Thanks for the tip, Peter... I'll see if I can find some of those.

Glad to hear the positive feedback on the 4.2's!

Welcome to the community! I love my 4.2's! These were my first klipsch speakers until the madness began, now I own a total of 6 pairs of klipsch speakers, mix of heritage and classic old school KGs throughout my house. The 4.2s are a very good speaker overall. Great frequency response for a 2way. I've used them on a pioneer elite sc-91 and currently (not in this pic) a Rotel 1570 and they sound phenomenal for a bedroom setup. Sitting on top are KG2s. I usually play them independently. 7c8e0fc7391c1c2f1d9ea541ff5393de.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1