Jump to content

My Khorn Bass Bins Finally Rock !! ..........................


Cut-Throat
 Share

Recommended Posts

Makes sense. You still have the room for the top plate to hit the wall corners. So your vertical back plate was still sitting flush against the corners then? I see how that's not the issue now.  Hmm. I don't know what else to tell you then.  As long as they sound great now.  Just wish we could have figured out the issue before just in case you come across it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect who have found a synergistic combination that optimizes the bass horn with the room modes of your listening space/ listening positions as well as any coupling interaction due to the spacing between the L/R bass horns of the stereo system as setup in your unique listening room.

 

We are always listening to the room in combination with the loudspeakers....

 

miketn 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maximus89 said:

Makes sense. You still have the room for the top plate to hit the wall corners. So your vertical back plate was still sitting flush against the corners then? I see how that's not the issue now.  Hmm. I don't know what else to tell you then.  As long as they sound great now.  Just wish we could have figured out the issue before just in case you come across it again.

 

I found a picture on the Klipsch site of what my TOP Hats basically look like. I just modeled a similar Plate to mount my Horns on.... You can see how the Top Hat extends further than the Vertical Back Plate... Mine is similar to the bottom Plate of the Top Hat.

 

 

Khorn Top.jpg

Khorn Tail 3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Cut-Throat said:

I have had Khorns for about 13 years now and have never really been satisfied with the Bass on them...   I really only use the Khorn Bass Bins and when I first got the Khorns, I replaced the Khorn Midrange with Altec Multicell Horns.  When I first got the Khorns I started tweaking the Bass Bins with Pipe Insulation on the Backs of them, so that they would 'seal' into the corners. Maybe I didn't do it right, but I was never satisfied with the Bass.

 

  About 5 years ago I upgraded to Oris Horns atop of my Khorn Bass Bins. Everything is pretty much Perfect with the Oris Horns, but the Bass was still not Doing it for me'. So, I installed Baltic Birch Plywood Backs on the Khorn Bass Bins.... Quite a Project.... Was not sure whether it helped or hurt.

 

About a month ago, I decide to go back to the Stock Bass Bins and see what they sounded like, and then maybe start adding tweaks 1 at a time.... So I stripped off the Back Panels... The pipe insulation was already gone to facilitate the Back panels. I pushed the Khorn Bass Bins back into my Corners and fired up the tube Amps.... Holy Moly, I've got Bass Now !!  Sat down and listened to a variety of Tracks and everything 'came to life'... Bass I had never heard out these Khorns before! .... I had 2 audiophile friends over and they were as blown away, as I was. I put on the Track of 'Fanfare for the common Man' by Copeland and we could not believe our ears.  No need to add any tweaks or fool with the PWK Bass Design... I do have great corners with Solid Block walls one one side and 6 inch Thick MDF Panels on the other side to brace the corners....These are really quite perfect for me now.... Tweaks don't always make things better... Not for me anyway.

Interesting.  You have been complaining about those for years.  I'm glad you found Nirvana (or at least close)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep I don't see any difference whether the triangle at the back of the top is only on the very top piece of the tophat or on the top piece of the bass bin or both. It's the width of the tailboard and the size of the triangle in relation to each other that is determining if the tailboard is against the two side walls of the corner. When I put pipe insulation on the back of my KHorns I think I heard a slight improvement but maybe it's because I wanted to hear it. I used regular 1/2 inch slit pipe insulation and fit it over the edge of the tailboard. It fits like a glove. And I know it is sealing the tailboard against the walls because if I pull the bins out from the wall the insulation is flattened at the line of contact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, babadono said:

Yep I don't see any difference whether the triangle at the back of the top is only on the very top piece of the tophat or on the top piece of the bass bin or both. It's the width of the tailboard and the size of the triangle in relation to each other that is determining if the tailboard is against the two side walls of the corner. When I put pipe insulation on the back of my KHorns I think I heard a slight improvement but maybe it's because I wanted to hear it. I used regular 1/2 inch slit pipe insulation and fit it over the edge of the tailboard. It fits like a glove. And I know it is sealing the tailboard against the walls because if I pull the bins out from the wall the insulation is flattened at the line of contact.

 

[underlines and bolding are mine]

 

Yes, that's it.

 

The triangle comes to a point, and the vertical tailboard is wide, so the edges of that tailboard hit the side walls of the corner, but most house walls are at least somewhat uneven, so a pipe insulation deal is necessary, if the seal is to be good.  There were good drawings of that in my Klipsch manual.  Slightly later versions had the rubber gaskets included.  My Khorns have always had great bass, 4 different installations, coincidentally, with "Fanfare with the Common Man," which, as I've said too often over the years, produces a pant leg flapping wind, and pushes my desk out of square.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Randyh said:

you should be blowing speakers with that much power ,   that may explain why you are having better bass , an amp with a lot of headroom does just that , a lot less distortion which in turn brings out the sound quality  , better bass , better definition -

 

According to the Dope from Hope chart, ONE Klipschorn needs only 63 watts to produce 115 dB in a 3,000 cu. ft. room, so he has almost 8 times as much power he needs.   Fine, as long as he is careful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had 4 different sets of K-Horns over the years and I was left wanting with 3 sets as far as bass went.  the last pair was pretty much a beater pair of c style cabinets and when went and demo them the seller had them in his basement connected to some monster SS amps I bought them took them home slid them into corners and was floored with the bass.  I attributed the improved bass to the seller breaking the drivers in with high power SS all there lives.......................Glad you found your desired sound 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, garyrc said:

 

According to the Dope from Hope chart, ONE Klipschorn needs only 63 watts to produce 115 dB in a 3,000 cu. ft. room, so he has almost 8 times as much power he needs.   Fine, as long as he is careful.

 

Understand that I am not using a Klipschorn.... I am just using the Bass Bin of a Klipschorn.  From another thread on this forum, the Khorn Bass bin can handle peaks of 600 watts... I rarely approach 95db in my listening room, but that alone does not necessarily eliminate the need for Power. I have had the 500 watt per channel Bass Amps on the Khorn Bass Bins for over 4 years, and that alone did not provide satisfactory Bass. And I never had a Problem with Bass 'Volume'... It was quality of Bass that my original post was about. I now have that Bass Quality that I was seeking, but it has been due to the removing of 'tweaks' that I had applied to the Bass Bins and nothing to do with the Electronics Involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...