Cd versus vinyl side by side

Harleywood

43 minutes ago, JohnA said:

They don't sound like the same volume through my computer.  They are each mastered/eq'd differently.

Both are Depeche Mode Music For The Masses releases. The CD came from the same analog master as the album. If anything since the CD was released after the LP version you'd expect it to be better. 

It's hard to pick up on an iPhone video but there is much more detail in the vinyl. I have about 300 LP's in my collection and about 200 CD,'s. I'm torn between upgrading my CD player to one with balanced interconnects or just slowly replacing what CD's i can with vinyl versions. A new disc player with XLR outs is going to run me over $1500 and I'm not sure if it will sound any better than my turntable. 

1 hour ago, Harleywood said:

It's hard to pick up on an iPhone video but there is much more detail in the vinyl. I have about 300 LP's in my collection and about 200 CD,'s. I'm torn between upgrading my CD player to one with balanced interconnects or just slowly replacing what CD's i can with vinyl versions. A new disc player with XLR outs is going to run me over $1500 and I'm not sure if it will sound any better than my turntable. 

That's a very small collection, you must be young and getting started? As for your cdp, I say ditch it completely. Rip your music to a hard drive and buy a good dac and some sort of streamer. A raspberry pi or bluesound node 2 are two good choices. This will sound better than most cd players.

2 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

Man, did you just open a can of worms.....

I am not opposed to vinyl... I've found myself on some pressings over my liftime. I also know that the vinyl never sounded as good as what was on the original mix. There are just too many things that don't have to be compromised if released in digital format.

Let's not even try to explain how you could evaluate a recording on a cell phone with a mic that probably cost $ .20.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Harleywood said:

Can you tell a difference? 

This would have made a good poll question.

I did one listening on CF-4's, no sub.  I thought the second one sounded better, certainly louder.  Both sounded very thin to me.

• Like 1