Looking for Forte ii 15" passive radiator model KD-15

mike mendez

Finding a used one that matches exactly is hard. Klipsch will sell you a new one but it will have a rubber surround and not a cloth like the old one and side by side the difference  is pretty glaring. EBay is probably your best bet and be prepared to wait. Simply Speakers sells a recone kit that looks like the old one does and I have used one before with success. Make sure you get the weights out of the old passive to put into the new one. 3.5oz if I remember right.

I have one that has been professionally reconed by Midwest Speakers in Minnesota. I'm not sure what your budget is. My price is I think $125 (got to double check what I have into it, I'm not looking to make money) plus shipping. PM if you are interested.

21 hours ago, Gorm said:

New ones from Klipsch are like 98 a piece.

new ones from klipsch are not the same as the older ones, they have a rubber surround, not the accordian fabric.

best option is have them reconed by simply speakers or buy the kit & do it yourself... or search here & ebay for a used one in good shape.

3 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

new ones from klipsch are not the same as the older ones, they have a rubber surround, not the accordian fabric.

best option is have them reconed by simply speakers or buy the kit & do it yourself... or search here & ebay for a used one in good shape.

Wasn't there a thread where one of the Klipsch engineers said the new ones would work?

In terms of rubber or accordion fabric, that is simply a matter of taste. They are going to function the same. Just make sure to buy two and replace both.

19 hours ago, Gorm said:

Wasn't there a thread where one of the Klipsch engineers said the new ones would work?

In terms of rubber or accordion fabric, that is simply a matter of taste. They are going to function the same. Just make sure to buy two and replace both.

they may work but would look funny with mismatched surrounds.  some guys might not care about that but most do & come re-sale time you have to explain why they dont match.

with used ones available & a correct recone kit so cheap i suggest keeping them matched to the originals.

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

they may work but would look funny with mismatched surrounds.  some guys might not care about that but most do & come re-sale time you have to explain why they dont match.

with used ones available & a correct recone kit so cheap i suggest keeping them matched to the originals.

Like I said, if you go the new route, you need to buy 2.

19 hours ago, Gorm said:

Like I said, if you go the new route, you need to buy 2.

like i said, makes no sense to pay more for 2 incorrect passives when all he has to do is recone 1 or buy a single used one & keep them in correct stock form.  wasn't trying to argue with your suggestion, just stating a more logical & cheaper way to resolve it.

7 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

like i said, makes no sense to pay more for 2 incorrect passives when all he has to do is recone 1 or buy a single used one & keep them in correct stock form.  wasn't trying to argue with your suggestion, just stating a more logical & cheaper way to resolve it.

Link to where its incorrect?

Look above for confirmation that the passives work fine.

"incorrect" means incorrect surrounds, i stated they will work as the above thread confirmed.  the point is why would you pay $200 + shipping to get incorrect looking passives when he already has one good one... if he has the frame of the other one its like $75 to recone it or ive seen them for $50-$75 used in good shape.  seems like a no brainer to me... & they stay original.  

• 7 months later...

the only passive they have for you now at Klipsch is the one for a Forte lll which Roy says works in your Forte ll. A good pro re cone shop can rebuild a passive for you probably to a close enough not to care level you might try that if you are in a large city and you have a passive(s). Don't know if  you said what was wrong with your passive but you might be able to repair it yourself depending on what the damage is. It does not have to look beautiful to function perfectly and it does spend its time facing the front wall so it's not like you even look at it.