How Satisfied Are You With Your Multi-channel equipment (POLL)

wvu80

How Satisfied Are You With Your HT Equipment  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How Satisfied Are You with Your Klipsch Multi-Speaker Setup for the next year?

• I am very satisfied. I don't have any plans to change.
    • I am somewhat satisfied. I like what I have but I'd like to change to another speaker. (bookshelves to floorstanders, surrounds, etc)
    • I am somewhat satisfied. I like what I have but I'd like to add more speakers.
    • My speakers are OK but I'm not making any changes.
    • I'm not satisifed and I'd like to make some changes.
    • I don't have a multi-speaker setup and I don't want one
    • I don't have a multi-speaker setup and I would like one
    • Other
  2. 2. How Satisifed Are you with your AVR for the next year?

• I am very satisfied with my AVR. I don't have any plans to change.
    • I am somewhat satisfied with my AVR. I like what I have but I'd like to upgrade.
    • My AVR is OK but I'm not making any changes.
    • I'm not satisifed and I'd like to upgrade my AVR.
    • I'm not satisfied and I'd like to add an external amp.
    • I'm satisfied with my AVR and I'd like to add an external amp.
    • I don't have an AVR and I don't want one.
    • I don't have an AVR but I would like to add one
    • Other
  3. 3. Why would you change to a different AVR?

• I want more power
    • I want newer features (HDMI, codecs, Atmos, voice control options like Alexa, etc)
    • I don't want a different AVR
    • Other

I probably have the least expensive set up in the forum.

What we have serves my family and they and I really like it.

My 42 inch LG TV is the perfect size for our house and our

sound is great for where we live right now.

It's not a HTIB but it's standard gear that meshes together well.

I went through a lot of gear to get this fine sounding combination.

I have speaker and AVR's in storage and have trouble selling them

in West Virginia because people want Wal-Mart stuff---Go Figure.

For the money I've spent I did get pretty good bang for my bucks.

Note to @wvu80 you can stop by anytime to hear my

entry level system--if you want--I'm just a half mile off the Silverton exit.

It won't sound as good as yours but the invite is open for my neighbor.

11 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Thanks for the invite Chris--I may take you up on it because I have heard your system is legendary and would glad be glad to have you over, but feel mine wouldn't compare---Anybody else would be ecstatic with what I have but am sure you could find some faults.  :) What I found humor in was that alot of us have nice Home Theaters we enjoy and I may have mistakenly read into your words that you considered what most of us were running were " Home Theaters in a Box."

I actually don't bite.  I also don't find myself looking for faults in other people's "local nirvanas".  I suppose there are those that do, but that's not my gig.  My comments here address only the subject of this thread.

On the other comment, I don't have another way to describe the set based marketing of loudspeakers that Klipsch offers for home theater.  It basically amounts to a "home theater in several boxes", plug-and-play approach.  There is nothing wrong with that since that's what most people want--to get up and running rapidly. 

6 hours ago, King Kong said:

I'd be down for a listening session if I ever have the free time when I'm up in the area.

Shoot me a PM when that happens.

Chris

47 minutes ago, Chris A said:

My comments here address only the subject of this thread.

Sure. As do mine and thank you for sharing. It still seems you don't think much of the "plug and play approach," and rapid setup or not folks enjoy their Home Theaters ( or whatever else you choose to call them). The difference between one persons "local nirvana" and another's "well tuned system," is in the ears of the beholder.  

9 hours ago, rebuy said:

I probably have the least expensive set up in the forum.

What we have serves my family and they and I really like it.  My 42 inch LG TV is the perfect size for our house and our sound is great for where we live right now. It's not a HTIB but it's standard gear that meshes together well.  I went through a lot of gear to get this fine sounding combination.  I have speaker and AVR's in storage and have trouble selling them in West Virginia because people want Wal-Mart stuff---Go Figure.  For the money I've spent I did get pretty good bang for my bucks.

I believe you!  You might be surprised what I have in my system, I'm a cheapie!  I get everything used and then try to jump on a Youthman Deal when I find it.  Then I buy low and sell high to fund the next purchase. 

For instance I bought 1978 La Scala's and sold them to fund Khorns.  The money I made buying and selling the Khorns funded the RF-83 package and a used AVR.  Then recently I took the RC-64 out of that RF-83 package and traded it straight up for an RC-64 III.

After the buying and selling I have a total out-of-pocket outlay of about 200 bucks for all my stuff. 

Not bad, not bad at all.  B)  (a Paul Harrell reference)

Note to @wvu80 you can stop by anytime to hear my entry level system--if you want--I'm just a half mile off the Silverton exit.

It won't sound as good as yours but the invite is open for my neighbor. 

Thanks for the invite, and you have an open invite to my place anytime.  I know right where you're at.  We'll have to do that sometime. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I had to choose other.  I have a multi channel system but no AVR.  I use a pre pro and separate amps.

I used the term "AVR" for the sake of brevity.  If you have a pre/pro the questions are still relevant, do you want to upgrade for newer features, or do you want more/bigger external amps.  I think that still adds to the knowledge base.

Is your Anthem D2 pre/pro still meeting your needs?  I read your signature quote, you have plenty of good quality power amps pushing those Dean G modded RF-7's.  That looks like a pretty solid setup!

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I used the term "AVR" for the sake of brevity.  If you have a pre/pro the questions are still relevant, do you want to upgrade for newer features, or do you want more/bigger external amps.  I think that still adds to the knowledge base.

Is your Anthem D2 pre/pro still meeting your needs?  I read your signature quote, you have plenty of good quality power amps pushing those Dean G modded RF-7's.  That looks like a pretty solid setup!

No plans to get rid of the D2.  I let my player do the decoding so there's really no reason to upgrade.  I don't see myself getting 4K or Atmos any time in the future either.

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't see myself getting 4K or Atmos any time in the future either.

That's funny because I think I have the oldest HDTV of anybody I know.  I switched from 480i to 1080p and got a gigantic 48" screen!  Even though 4K looks great the fact is TV is still on the 1080p standard and except for a few newer movies there's not much incentive for me to upgrade right now.

Even though my Marantz 6011 supports Atmos I was never interested in trying it either.  I have to admit I found a few other speakers options in the Menu that piqued my interest and since I had a bunch of other speakers laying around I've given those a try.  Even though I am happy with what I have, the changes I made really do sound better.  I was very surprised.

I stuck my RS-62 surround speakers on top of the RF-83's to be used as Front Height channels.  The front sound stage is now enormous!  It's off-the-wall thinking (literally).  What do you think of this crazy setup?

Image00001.jpg

Image00004.jpg

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

That's funny because I think I have the oldest HDTV of anybody I know.  I switched from 480i to 1080p and got a gigantic 48" screen!  Even though 4K looks great the fact is TV is still on the 1080p standard and except for a few newer movies there's not much incentive for me to upgrade right now.

Even though my Marantz 6011 supports Atmos I was never interested in trying it either.  I have to admit I found a few other speakers options in the Menu that piqued my interest and since I had a bunch of other speakers laying around I've given those a try.  Even though I am happy with what I have, the changes I made really do sound better.  I was very surprised.

I stuck my RS-62 surround speakers on top of the RF-83's to be used as Front Height channels.  The front sound stage is now enormous!  It's off-the-wall thinking (literally).  What do you think of this crazy setup?

Image00001.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Your wife OK'd that ? Why not mount them on the wall ?

9 hours ago, rebuy said:

Your wife OK'd that ? Why not mount them on the wall ?

No, the wife hates it.  She hates everything.  :rolleyes:  They really don't look too bad with the grills on but it does take some getting used to.  With the copper showing even I think it's a bit distracting.  Pic below, see what you think.

"Why not mount them on the wall?"  That is certainly the way Front Heights are supposed to be mounted.  The speaker traditionally used is a mono-pole, just like a bookshelf speaker.  I wanted to use the bi-pole surround speakers and shoot them left and right at the height of the TV.  The results were spectacular with a super-wide sound stage. 

The sound stage is a LOT like the Khorns I used to have in the same space.  The difference is this setup radiates sound from the center OUT instead of the outside IN like the Khorns did.  The effect is the same, this sounds every bit as good as the Khorns.  It took a sub and 5 speakers  (technically 7 speakers up front since the RS-62 are two complete speakers in one box) instead of L/C/R because speaker-for-speaker nothing touches the Khorns.  But you CAN match the sound.

I think I am getting some acoustic coupling between the L/C/R and the Front Heights.  It creates a sonic "bubble" that is lifted UP into the center of the TV.  Then with the bi-poles shooting the sound left and right it makes for a wide sound stage. 

That is why I didn't place the Heights near to the ceiling, I wanted that sonic bubble from the middle of the front wall,  down.  See pic, and see what you think.

The pics shows the RS-62's on top, 6" woofers.  A very good sounding Usher MTM center w/dome tweeter and 7" woofers and the RF-83's with 8" woofers.  A ten inch Paradigm sub (right) is in the audio cabinet. 

The Marantz SR6011 on the bottom left mixes Dolby Digital and Neural:X into 5.1 + Front Heights.  The powerful Audyssey XT32 with 8 positions set all the XO points and balanced the speakers.  Everything is set to Small, L/R at 60 Hz with C and FH at 60 Hz.  It works.

RS-62 Heights_00002.jpg

RS-62 Heights_00003.jpg

• Like 1

5b75a5072662e6cf2991ccac6cdc1e70.jpg

Super happy with my Sherbourn and Emotiva electronics with my Klipsch KLF-30’s. I wish I had more breathing room for them though. All three rooms have similar set ups but different room characteristics.

b59e81b786d3d3709ff300a93611d0aa.jpg

50b51f5730c0368781848426f4d21042.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teaman said:

Super happy with my Sherbourn and Emotiva electronics with my Klipsch KLF-30’s. I wish I had more breathing room for them though. All three rooms have similar set ups but different room characteristics.

I just think you like blue lights! 

Are you pretty settled in now on your equipment?  I can see if you make even one change such as a pre-pro it would affect ten other things.  I bet you hear those Audyssey white noise dwapp! sounds in your sleep!  :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/30/2018 at 1:11 PM, wvu80 said:

No problem that you didn't vote although upon further reading, there were some options that fit the description of what you have and what your plans are.  "Don't have an AVR, don't want one" and "somewhat satisfied with current speakers but want to change to a different type..."  B)

I didn't mean to be targeting "canned" HT setups.  In fact I was trying NOT to do that but as I was composing questions it was hard to make it open ended and I tried hard to avoid the term "home theater."  I have an AVR with a 5.1 setup but it's in my living room for TV, I don't have a home theater.

I also tried to avoid traditional 5.1 setups vs Atmos as the only multi-speaker choices. 

What prompted my poll was me fiddling around with my Marantz SR6011 options. 

It is clear what your are really doing is trying to shape the outcome of the midterms.

That's a joke.

It is very difficult to formulate questions that get you precisely what you are looking for, but I thought your questions covered the a very wide spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

That's a joke.

I laughed. 

It is very difficult to formulate questions that get you precisely what you are looking for, but I thought your questions covered the a very wide spectrum.

Thanks.  After enough people have answered we'll analyze the data.  For the most part is looks like the majority have what they want and are very satisfied or mostly satisfied.

I should have put in one more answer for people like me:  "I'm happy with the stuff I have and I have no plans to buy anything else but I probably will anyway when the next good deal comes along."

That's kinda how I've gotten to almost all the speakers and amps I have now.  Except for the "almost."  :blink2::lol:

I've consolidated my comments to conform to the survey's comments...and explain what "other" means:

1. How Satisfied Are You with Your Klipsch Multi-Speaker Setup for the next year?

I am somewhat satisfied. I like what I have but I'd like to change to another speaker (DIY full-range MEHs--5 channels, mentioned above)

2. How Satisfied Are you with your AVR AVP for the next year?

Other (I have a good AVP that does what I need, but I may acquire a RME HDSPe AES‑32 card and a dedicated PC, and reuse an older DSP crossover (Yamaha SP2060) with AES/EBU inputs to eliminate one A/D--D/A conversion.  More information about this can be found here:

3. Why would you change to a different AVR AVP?

Other (higher performance--including lower noise and lower distortion downstream via elimination of one A/D--D/A conversion).  The present AVP's DACs and analog output circuitry are very good, but it's the downstream analog-->digital connections that I would like to change.)

Chris

• Like 2