Phase plug

Deano1974

There are replacement drop in tweeters to upgrade from the K77 you can take a look at bob Crites's site and check them out even the least expensive CT125 is a significant improvement it drops right in and he has better options as well for a little more. Best Klipsch parts help on earth a superb individual to deal with.

https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

On 9/30/2018 at 5:19 AM, Deano1974 said:

It's fine, I have just seen people upgrade their horn mouths and these dont have the phase plug

So was Just wondering if it was essential or just protection for the diaphragm

Im just curious thats all emoji6.png

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

The upgrades already have phase plugs in them, hidden typically behind a screen.  The K77 just has one that is integrated in the horn.  Without them there is high frequency cancellation.

• Like 1

Ok so how does DaveA horn lens as below replace the LSII's horn lens as below when the phase plug is part of the horn lens itself unless what i think is the phase plug in fact is not

So in photo below the black diaphram in the center of the horn lens, is that the phase plug?64a401e3507c17f5337e2654abad1733.jpg7f55f29478cec4a81c6eb444c12b67d8.jpg

The K-77 is designed to work only with that driver/lens combination. Drivers like the DE10,110 120 and APT50 incorporate phase plugs internally and independent of the horn lens because they are meant to be used with differing horn lenses.

From B&C

" Standard features in our compression drivers include copper shorting rings, FEA optimized phase plugs, and edge-wound copper-clad aluminum voice coil wire. "

Sorry im new to lens and drivers etc,

So if the la scala II has the phase plug moulded into the horn lens of the tweeter as in the photo i posted before and your lens does not, then how would the phase plug be incorporated

Or does your lens not require the phase plug

Sorry for the stupid questions

Wouldn't work for what? I don't understand your comment.

If you read the quote from B&C they tell you that phase plugs are there in all those drivers. They are meant to be used in different horns so the phase plug has to be an integral part of the driver and not the horn. This thing Klipsch has made can only work with itself so they could put the phase plug on the horn lens or the driver and chose to put it on the horn lens. This K-77 is the strange one here compared to most drivers on the market so don't get hung up on the idea that this K-77 is the only way or the best way because most drivers are not made like this. 

4 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Ok so how does DaveA horn lens as below replace the LSII's horn lens as below when the phase plug is part of the horn lens itself unless what i think is the phase plug in fact is not

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, Don Richard said:

Some HF horns appear to not have phase plugs because those horns use detachable compression drivers which have their own phase plugs.

1 hour ago, Deano1974 said:

Sorry im new to lens and drivers etc,

So if the la scala II has the phase plug moulded into the horn lens of the tweeter as in the photo i posted before and your lens does not, then how would the phase plug be incorporated

Or does your lens not require the phase plug

Sorry for the stupid questions

Refer to this thread:

If you read the quote from B&C they tell you that phase plugs are there in all those drivers. They are meant to be used in different horns so the phase plug has to be an integral part of the driver and not the horn. This thing Klipsch has made can only work with itself so they could put the phase plug on the horn lens or the driver and chose to put it on the horn lens. This K-77 is the strange one here compared to most drivers on the market so don't get hung up on the idea that this K-77 is the only way or the best way because most drivers are not made like this. 

Understood thank you