‘82 Belle Klipsch

100dB

Thanks guys. I was lucky to find them. I’m a recording engineer and audiologist (hence the artwork), and I had high hopes. Frankly, my room is the problem, and I can’t change it. If they don’t find a home in a while, I’ll go ahead with mods/sub. However, to paraphrase Peter Egan, we’re only caretakers of the things we cherish. I’m not the only one who can provide a good home for them. There’s another home out there.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 100dB said:

1982 Klipsch Belles, with documentation (original receipt, etc). Northern Colorado. All original, including AA crossovers. Glass tops for top hats. Excellent shape. More pics to come. $1,700

Excellent speakers in excellent shape, excellent price.  I predict those will sell within a reasonable period of time, maybe a few weeks or less.

Those are 1982.  Can you check the K-55V compression driver?  Look at how the wires are attached.  If they are spring loaded they are good K-55V CD's.  If they are soldered they are the highly desirable dual phase plug version only made for about a year and a half.  That is value added if you have those and well worth putting into your FS ads.

GLWYS

• Like 3

Interesting. Was this k55 abandoned due to performance concerns? Costs? While it’s rare, that might not necessarily mean its “good” (though I’ve no doubt it is).

And thanks for unearthing this bit of detail; I had no idea.

...I answered my own question (it was a supply thing, with EV being the supplier, if I’m getting it right). So, “now what”, he asked himself... It would seem I’ve stumbled on a true jem. They’re cosmetically great; they’re equipped with rare K-55s; they have the glass tops. Now I feel silly thinking about selling them as opposed to bringing them to “spec” with new crossovers. Hmm...

Considering what you've stated earlier regarding the harshness of the tweeters and other issues, I think the first two steps you should take are to upgrade your tweeters to Crites CT-120, and to update the crossovers, whether that be Crites crossovers or others.  As I've said previously, those are relatively small investments that are easily recouped.

I've owned a couple of pairs of Belles, and in my opinion, they do take a little bit of tweaking to get them to sound they way I wanted them to....

I will admit that I moved on to other Klipsch Heritage, but not because I didn't "like" the Belles, it was simply a changing of the guard if you will......I'm now very satisfied with the Khorns and new La Scala IIs that I have in my main listening space.

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:
3 hours ago, 100dB said:

shot of the k55. It doesn’t look like a spring clip. Thoughts?

Yes, those are dual phase plug drivers, very desirable K-55.

I was thinking of you Jim when I saw those pictures, I about fell over when I saw what 100db pictured.  I consider you our local authority on the soldered lug dual phase K-55V and even though I knew what they were, I wanted your opinion for confirmation.

4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Ha!  I don't know about that, but they are pretty easy to spot....

You've owned them, used them, bought and sold them.  You know first hand how they sound and what they're worth.  All I know is what I've read.