Unknown Klipsch Speakers

alfadoctor

This is my first post to the forum.

I came across some Klipsch floor speakers at a antique mall the other day. I took the information that was posted on them but I have not been able to find any information about them. Either they are very old or the label is wrong. 

The label on the speakers was "Klipsch MDL 8.5" In all of my research, I have never found a reference to the MDL series. They around 36" tall with removable grills and they have a speaker hole in the back about floor level. 

Is there a place on the speakers that would be more definitive as to what they are? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, alfadoctor said:

I came across some Klipsch floor speakers at a antique mall the other day. I took the information that was posted on them but I have not been able to find any information about them. Either they are very old or the label is wrong. 

The label on the speakers was "Klipsch MDL 8.5" In all of my research, I have never found a reference to the MDL series. They around 36" tall with removable grills and they have a speaker hole in the back about floor level. 

Is there a place on the speakers that would be more definitive as to what they are? 

Welcome, like Carl said, if you can post you will have an answer immediately. 

• Moderators

By the way, MDL is probably "Model" and the information should be next that, HOWEVER, I have seen many labels posted on here where the ink faded long ago.

• Moderators

Did they look like this?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/ksf-8-5-floorstanding-speaker

On 10/1/2018 at 4:46 PM, dwilawyer said:

Yes, the label at the bottom looks like what I recall seeing. The mall is not far so I can run down there

and not only get a photo but check out to see if there is a label on them. 

This begs the next question, if this turns out to be the speakers, what is the max power that they can handle

RMS, and where in the spectrum do they fall for quality Klipsch speakers? (bottom, medium, high end)

I went to the store and photographed the label on the back. The speakers are KSF8.5 BLAC.

The label SN is KSF8.5BK0139_0017 Tested by Miller.The letter behind the B could be an R as it is hard to read

Looks like they are good to 75 watts. 

I have no idea if these are good quality speakers in the Klipsch line. I know the label stands on its own 

merit just because of the name. Are they high, medium or low quality? What I could find out is that 

they looked like they were part of a surround sound system. 

What can anyone share with me? Should I buy them or hold out for a newer speaker system? 

BTW...the pair is $140. Good deal? 

• Like 1

That's a Synergy line of Klipsch speakers. They had great reviews, close to 20 years old. There are a few pairs on Ebay right now, priced from $120-$160. Towards the end of production, they sold new for $300 a pair, that was around 1995. I'd say check them out, make sure all the drivers work, make them a lower offer, you might get a very good deal.

I think @The History Kid knows a lot about the Synergy line.

• Like 1

$140 is about the middle of the road price. They are the entry level first generation Synergy speaker. They're not poor quality, but nothing to write home about. Still, they should sound at least as good if not a little better than they current Reference line at Best Buy.

This is the great information I was looking for. I have a Denon amp 5.2 surround that will drive them. So there should be 

plenty of power. 

Sitting next to these speakers is a set of Ohm C2 speakers with a bigger base for the same price. Had good reviews 

but I am not able to test them side by side. Any thoughts of comparing apples to apples with the pair? 

I play records and an occasional movie,  so I am not sure how much bright fidelity I will get from the KF8.5. 

I like your suggestion of getting them cheaper. How will I know if the boards inside are still functional? Distortion? One speaker not working? 

Do these speakers come with some kind of foam inside of them that needs replacing?  That is something I read on the Ohm website and that baffles me 

as to why a speaker would need foam inside. The cabinet should be for base resonance?

If I don't opt for these I will be looking at the wireless line of Klipsch for the new house (another forum topic).

• 2 weeks later...