Just Picked up a Stromberg Carlson Console.

horn player

I just picked up a Stromberg Carlson console stereo, Integrity Series Component Ensemble, with ASR-660 pre-amp/ power amp combo and tuner SR-445-A at my favorite junk shop. The owner, who I have known for at least 10 years, told me it was playing in the house he was cleaning out, and he also said the previous owner apparently spent a lot of money having it refurbished a few years back. I powered it up in the store, and got volume from both channels, although I didn't pick up any stations inside the store. Tonight, I plan to power it up for the first time since buying it, and hope to pick some stations or see if the turn table works. Can I hook up anything modern to this setup? This is my first tube setup, and I'd appreciate any comments or tips about trying it out. Thanks in advance!

• Thanks 1

Yes, you can connect modern devices to it.  However, it is important that you get some documentation about the work that was done on it and by whom.  If it was not done correctly, or if certain parts were not replaced, it could fail or be dangerous to use.  Feel free to remove the chassis and post clear, close-up, photos of the bottom.  That will provide many answers if you cannot obtain the documentation.

Maynard

Thanks for your help. I powered it up this evening and enjoyed listening to FM mono through one speaker for a half hour or so. It didn't smoke or smell bad. The bass was stronger than I thought it would be. I pulled the back off and the tubes were glowing, but it looks like it hasn't been worked on in a long time. Repair receipt included in literature dated 1974. Does have an electronics repair shop sticker on back that looks much newer, but no receipts.  Looks dusty and typical for an old stereo from junk store. I will be sure not to leave it plugged in or leave the house with it playing. I will try to hook my late 70's turntable to it and enjoy some records, and that will justify the purchase. I believe it is from the early 60's (like me), so it must have had some work done to it to still be working. I included a picture from top side.

SC Top 02.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here's a picture from the underside of the console, it doesn't look like it has had any recent work. Also, after playing for 30 minutes last night, this morning, it's dead. I pushed the circuit breaker, nothing happened. No smell or smoke. I bought it with hopes that it had recent work performed as the junk store owner claimed. This system has two interesting speakers, each roughly 12" x 12" x 20" with 12" woofers that look identical to Heresy woofers. The cabinets are made of what appears to be a compressed paper product, but plywood holding speakers.

I hope to separate the pre-amplifier and amplifier and get them going.

SC Amp 01.jpg

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately,  I’m in NJ.  If you want to get it checked out and repaired without incurring a potentially large expense see if there is an antique radio club in your area.  They are usually populated by guys who are very well versed in tube electronics, and many are audiophiles as well.

Maynard

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, billybob said:

Nice score! BTW, some mighty big cat you have. Fancy 

23 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Unfortunately,  I’m in NJ.  If you want to get it checked out and repaired without incurring a potentially large expense see if there is an antique radio club in your area.  They are usually populated by guys who are very well versed in tube electronics, and many are audiophiles as well.

Maynard

Thanks, I'll see what I can find locally and get some help. Back in '01 or '02, I sold my Khorns to a guy who drove up from Norfolk to get them, and he brought up a 4 watt tube amp and they sounded amazing. 

Caught my cat napping and snapped him yawning real big! He was a good cat!

• Like 1