Do non electrolytic crossover caps really need replacing?

Mark51

I'm the OP of this sometimes ridiculous thread so I'm here to report on my results. 

I re-capped both sets of my Klipsch speakers - Forte and KG4 and am very pleased with the results.  I did not spend a lot of money - a total of about $30.  I purchased name brand but inexpensive caps from Digikey - Illinois, Panasonic and so forth.  So replacing old caps with new manufacture caps, even inexpensive ones,  is worthwhile.  That's what I learned.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Those are fighting words there for sure..... Then again, this thread was becoming stale and clearly needed some more pot stirring.   

Well someone on this forum has got a couple of "gently used" Jupiters in their equipment.  I was kidding and I did not mistreat them.  Would not do that.  But they are very heavy and well built.  What they did was make my equipment sound vintage.  Rolled off highs, huge mids.  Just not for me.  I could see how in the right system they could be enjoyed.  They were very clear sounding. :)

7 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Well someone on this forum has got a couple of "gently used" Jupiters in their equipment.  I was kidding and I did not mistreat them.  Would not do that.  But they are very heavy and well built.  What they did was make my equipment sound vintage.  Rolled off highs, huge mids.  Just not for me.  I could see how in the right system they could be enjoyed.  They were very clear sounding. :)

The MCM 1900 recap I did this week was with Solen and Audyn caps because they had values close to what I needed. In one case I needed 80uf caps and Audyn was the only one I found even close in poly. Very clear is exactly what these did for me and on one channel due to bad caps the tweeters opened right up. It kind of shocked me and now they are crystal clear and unflavored with any nuances which I would rather do with EQ anyway. Wish I had done this sooner.

39 minutes ago, Mark51 said:

I'm the OP of this sometimes ridiculous thread so I'm here to report on my results. 

I re-capped both sets of my Klipsch speakers - Forte and KG4 and am very pleased with the results.  I did not spend a lot of money - a total of about $30.  I purchased name brand but inexpensive caps from Digikey - Illinois, Panasonic and so forth.  So replacing old caps with new manufacture caps, even inexpensive ones,  is worthwhile.  That's what I learned.  

glad to see you went with reasonable priced caps & found they sound very good. 

14 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I've heard people comment "rolled off highs" a couple of times... not my experience at all but no one has offered any data to support either way... not that I care... We hear what we hear... maybe.  

• Moderators

I’ll say more. As moderators we are charged with enforcing the Terms of Service for all users of this forum. If a user/member violates the Terms of Service we are left no option but to warn the user. No one knows you’ve been warned except @Chad and the moderators. Through the years we have experienced a lot of personal insults towards members. We have a ZERO tolerance policy on that issue. The ugliness is uncalled for. If a member gets their feelings hurt because they have been warned for a Terms of Service Agreement violation and they choose to leave they have the right to do so. The moderators here spend a lot of time mediating between members “behind closed doors” in PMs to keep the BS off the forum. 

Nobody runs anybody off, you all have the right to choose for yourself. It’s regretful that some folks have no appreciation for how hard we actually work to keep members here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
Just now, Westcoastdrums said:

I myself have experienced this (won't say what exactly) and I appreciate all that you guys do in keeping things civil and enjoyable around here.   

Thank you for posting. Often it’s a thankless job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Deang said:

Could you please supply the part numbers that others might benefit. 

Index    Quantity    Part Number    Manufacturer Part Number    Description    Customer Reference    Backorder    Unit Price    Extended Price
1    2    1572-1025-ND    105MWR250K    CAP FILM 1UF 10% 250VDC AXIAL        0    1.07000    $2.14
2    4    1572-1072-ND    155MWR100K    CAP FILM 1.5UF 10% 100VDC AXIAL        0    1.24000    $4.96
3    2    493-12731-1-ND    UVP2A330MHD1TO    CAP ALUM 33UF 20% 100V RADIAL        0    0.91000    $1.82
4    2    493-16147-ND    UVP2A470MHD    CAP ALUM 47UF 20% 100V RADIAL        0    0.95000    $1.90
                            Subtotal    $10.82

Index    Quantity    Part Number    Manufacturer Part Number    Description    Customer Reference    Backorder    Unit Price    Extended Price
1    2    EF2825-ND    ECQ-E2825KF    CAP FILM 8.2UF 10% 250VDC RADIAL        0    2.02000    $4.04
2    2    EF2275-ND    ECQ-E2275KF    CAP FILM 2.7UF 10% 250VDC RADIAL        0    1.13000    $2.26
                            Subtotal    $6.30

Note that the 47uf cap goes in the Forte and the 33uf goes into a KG4.  The last two films in the list are for a KG4.  All the other films are for Forte.  

I got these from Digikey.  Mouser might have a better selection but Digikey has less expensive shipping options. 

Now that I look at it again I recapped four speakers for less than $20, not including shipping.  

• Thanks 1