Do non electrolytic crossover caps really need replacing?

Mark51

6 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Please find a purely OBJECTIVE discussion of what people perceive they hear when small changes are made.  Good luck with that.

Subjective/objective was not the purpose of my post, but no matter...my sense of it is that subjective can guide one when making coarse adjustments, but with fine adjustment, we can be lead to become sort of drunk on our own BS and head down a primrose path, and when a person thinks he/she has such fine-tuned hearing to the point he/she says to others that "my way or the highway", then he becomes like the preacher who says he has all the answers, I run like mad away from the person.

Conversely graphs, examining hard data, etc, is great so long as it is tempered by the fact that just because a curve supports our subjective conclusion, where is the proof that the ears hear music in agreement with the curve data we are measuring. Maybe ears cannot even be defined sonically, mathematically or scientifically. Anyway, we have to hang onto something that is more objective, there is that word again, not just what we think we hear.

My feelings about what happened with wdecho is that it was poorly handled. It should not have been met "head-on". Before the moderator jumps in there and takes sides, he should give time for calmness to prevail, maybe two or three days. He could have just suspended posting to the thread if it was going to stay "hot". Heck, let things happen and come back to it later; it's not like people are going to start shooting at each other. I think it would have had a different outcome, if the moderator hadn't been so quick to choose sides. Now, Mr. Moderator, please don't think I am jumping on you, yours is a hard job and hindsight is 20/20.

4 minutes ago, ishwash said:

Now, Mr. Moderator, please don't think I am jumping on you, yours is a hard job and hindsight is 20/20.

Not a problem (if you were referring to me).  I feel most here would feel differently if they were privileged to all correspondence.  Everyone makes assumptions based on the information they have access to.   That's all you have to go on.

2 hours ago, ishwash said:

My feelings about what happened with wdecho is that it was poorly handled. It should not have been met "head-on". Before the moderator jumps in there and takes sides, he should give time for calmness to prevail, maybe two or three days. He could have just suspended posting to the thread if it was going to stay "hot". Heck, let things happen and come back to it later; it's not like people are going to start shooting at each other. I think it would have had a different outcome, if the moderator hadn't been so quick to choose sides. Now, Mr. Moderator, please don't think I am jumping on you, yours is a hard job and hindsight is 20/20.

If you have ever been on the receiving end of wdecho ranting and insults you might have a different perspective about all this. 

He often had a low tolerance for a different opinion than his and would resort to very unessary insults. I tolerated it because I believed he just couldn’t control it but he did test my limits several times.

Life and Time is to short to waste on petty arguing and even though wedcho means well I’m sure you have to wonder how many chose not to participate once the insults starts. It sure limits my desire to participate on the forum at times.

miketn

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

If you have ever been on the receiving end of wdecho ranting and insults you might have a different perspective about all this. miketn

I expect I would. I guess I have not been a member long enough to witness his doing a rant, except for this thread. He was always a gentleman with me, and I am not a tube-type low-watt, amp feller, and he knew it. I reject tube-type because of the inherent hum associated with them. Never met a Dynaco amp that didn't have significant hum and back in the day I went through the full gamut of them.

Oh well, piss on it, I just hate to see a knowledgeable fellow, who helped me a couple of times, leave the forum under the circumstances in which he left, but I ain't getting a whole lot of folks to agree with me on this, so I am going to get off this dead horse I'm riding, and get back to reading this wonderfully  valuable thread.

• Like 2

One thing about Klipsch Heritage speakers is that several types of caps were used over the years, from high grade MIL spec oil-filled bathtub  caps to poorer quality film caps. My Khorns came with Type A crossovers that used the oil-filled bathtub caps, but I replaced them when the Type AA became available due to blown tweeters. The AAs used Sprague hermetically sealed caps on the squawker circuit on both of the crossovers, using film and foil caps on the tweeter circuit on one of the crossovers with smaller flat oval caps (metallized?) on the tweeter circuit of the other crossover. When the crossovers were new, the speakers sounded identical despite the different types of caps used on the tweeters. Years later I recapped both crossovers using metallized polypropylene caps on the tweeters.

As for my original Type A crossovers, they ended up in a friend's speakers, consisting of an EV Georgian bass bin with fiberglass K400 clone squawkers and EV T35 tweeters. I expected that the Type As would need cap replacement after so many years, but the speakers sounded great during listening tests, so we left the original caps alone.

The point I am trying to make is that different types and quality of caps were used at different times by Klipsch. A person's experience with updating caps depends on what caps were used to begin with. YMMV

• Like 2

Oh, I know they are meant not to hum, it's just that it always came on a bit quickly in the life of a Dynaco Stereo 70. Then when Dynaco bit the dust I gave up on them and went SS.  Then replaced my vinyl with CD's, and converted all my irreplaceable vinyl (still have them and protected all of them) went all cassette once too and even reel to reel too because I didn't want to ruin my vinyl by playing it...yeah went through the turntable phase and strove to have the lightest and fanciest cartridge.

Then converted all to digital, then ripped everything that wasn't available on CD into flac and loaded all onto a 'puter, then into a DAC-equipped integrated amp to my speakers, then Premium Spotify and now I just play my music as 320 mp3 and I can listen to one song 1500 straight times if I want. And I finally figured out how to play my library music, that Spotify does not offer, using Spotify and any loss of quality doesn't worry me at all.

You know Neil Young and his Pono player...he says 320 mp3 only has 10 percent of the music that is available. For someone who gripes about corporation dishonesty, he sorta joined corporate dishonesty with his 10% statement. And I love Neil Young's music, although I don't appreciate him slamming the South; I have purchased some albums more than once possessing I suppose every album he ever made, but he is a bit full of you know what and takes his BS a bit too seriously.

Since this thread pretty much turned into BS, thought I otter contribute.

• Like 1