Do non electrolytic crossover caps really need replacing?

Mark51

7 hours ago, Don Richard said:

One thing about Klipsch Heritage speakers is that several types of caps were used over the years, from high grade MIL spec oil-filled bathtub  caps to poorer quality film caps. My Khorns came with Type A crossovers that used the oil-filled bathtub caps, but I replaced them when the Type AA became available due to blown tweeters. The AAs used Sprague hermetically sealed caps on the squawker circuit on both of the crossovers, using film and foil caps on the tweeter circuit on one of the crossovers with smaller flat oval caps (metallized?) on the tweeter circuit of the other crossover. When the crossovers were new, the speakers sounded identical despite the different types of caps used on the tweeters. Years later I recapped both crossovers using metallized polypropylene caps on the tweeters.

As for my original Type A crossovers, they ended up in a friend's speakers, consisting of an EV Georgian bass bin with fiberglass K400 clone squawkers and EV T35 tweeters. I expected that the Type As would need cap replacement after so many years, but the speakers sounded great during listening tests, so we left the original caps alone.

The point I am trying to make is that different types and quality of caps were used at different times by Klipsch. A person's experience with updating caps depends on what caps were used to begin with. YMMV

Good post. Thanks Don. 

45 minutes ago, ishwash said:

And I you, but to answer you, pretty much everything you have said on this thread. Your main objective is to sell your stuff, and if you can not sell something, you try to be cute, and frankly it gets a little old. Now I was actually trying to draw you out with my posts; I knew I was being irritating, but you are irritating without trying.

I have no main objective. Like everyone else, I just enjoy being a part of it all.

I’ve been building since 2004. Everyone knows who I am and what I do. When I post, it’s primarily to inform and educate. 

I don’t need crossover work to survive - I make $100K a year with my day job. So please, just stop. 

Breaking up personal attacks, if I needed Crossovers built, Dean would be my first call if I wanted to spend a little more than with Crites, but get something nicer.   Thanks for the ear candy and I certainly don't consider you a snake oil salesman and I think it in poor taste that you were labeled as such.   

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

So the latest slurry came about 830 ET, I guess it is cocktail hour?

I hid the stuff over the line.

We don't need or want telling anybody to leave.

If you see a problem, flag it alerts all moderators and we will handle it.

So I think the topic of this discussion is capacitors?  Keep it there, or start a new thread, or send a PM, or don't respond.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Knock it off.

No. If he has an issue with a technical related issue, he needs to substantiate his position with something other than rhetoric. All he has done so far is level accusations at me. He is baiting and trolling. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Deang said:

No. If he has an issue with a technical related issue, he needs to substantiate his position with something other than rhetoric. All he has done so far is level accusations at me. He is baiting and trolling. 

Ok, let take a time out, pick it up in a day or two.  I have linked two other cap threads with no problems, if someone has something constructive to add put it in one of those threads.

• Like 1