Do non electrolytic crossover caps really need replacing?

Mark51

32 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I respect and appreciate This forum.  I am out of line sometimes.  You personally have probably seen that already. I'm down to go to a pilgrimage and meet you all.   Hope to do it this year.   Take it easy, seriously we all love the same S***

Go to a pilgrimage...dude, you will be so astonished by inter web forum vs. in person meeting and that’s a good thing. Too bad Hope and forum decorum  differ.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Hahaha I wanna go. I'm afraid after I have to many drinks in person...... 

After too many drinks I pretend to like Carl and Jim. I wake up at the local no tell motel needing a shower.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Haha I don't pick fights but if they Come, I'm down to go full fledged.    Leave Carl and jim alone, they r both dope in my book. Remember, we don't have to agree on everything, not do I expect us to.  

Please don’t misconstrue, we are buds and I was poking at them. With that said, my point was that folk come across differently on the www than they do in person.....now that Christy chick is just out of bounds.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Please don’t misconstrue, we are buds and I was poking at them. With that said, my point was that folk come across differently on the www than they do in person.....now that Christy chick is just out of bounds.

@USNRET leave me alone!  

I didn’t have a damn thing to do with any of this BS. Now, I’ll take the blame for everything Pilgrimage related!  2019 dates coming soon!  😉

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Deang said:

With the exception of a handful, all of the old capacitors that Bob has tested over the years are bad. Doesn't matter if they're the Mylar in oil cans or the metalized epoxy coated oval Mylars. The lead terminations are poor, and oxidation from moisture creep and air raises the ESR to unacceptable levels.

WOW go away for most of a day and it went crazy. Anyway I measure with a B&K 885 and it does not lie and the only time I have not replaced old caps was on my set of MCM 1900's. It was pretty shocking and the capacitance was right on and the ESR was like .004 at the worst. I just soldered them back in and closed it up. I can begin to see why Bob likes the Sonicaps even though I don't want to spend the money on them all the time. ESR on those is so low I cant measure it most of the time and high for them seems to be maybe .002 and I may be remembering it to high.

As an aside here I bought a Fluke 117 for general electrical work. Now it has a capacitance reading capability to according to the manual but after seeing it against the B&K I would be afraid to trust it for capacitance and the larger the value the worse it gets. If you think your multi meter is good enough let me assure you it is not.

The more I think about it the more I am wondering what those MCM's would sound like with new Sonicaps in them.