RS 3 vs KSF S5

slovell

Which of these surround speakers would be a better match with my KLF-20's? I'm using an Emotiva XPA-3 (200 rms x 3) for the fronts with a KV-4 center, and an Emotiva XPA-200 (150 rms x 2) for the rear surrounds which are presently the KSF-S5's. The KSF's sound a bit underpowered vs the fronts and I'm curious if the 2 or 3 dB better efficiency of the RS 3's would be worth it. I'd love to have a pair of RS 7's but they're rare and the ones I've seen are usually way overpriced and in bad shape. I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have as to alternative surrounds to match my gear.

Neither are a match, I am not a fan of sound sprayers and there weren't any that were part of the Epic series with good reason probably.  I would think the KSF-S5 would be a closer match even though they are designed for the Synergy Premiere line better than Reference.  Find some KLF-10's to use in the back or better yet another pair of 20's.

In your situation, the only speakers I'd take over the KSF-S5's are the KSP-S6's (double check that model).  Otherwise, pass on all else in the Klipsch offerings.  The alternative is direct firing speakers, but even then your options would be limited.  Stick with what you have.

• 2 weeks later...

To my ears the RS 3's sound better than the KSF-S5's. The titanium tweeters in the RS 3's deliver more detail and the woofer has better bass. The extra 3dB of sensitivity made a difference in the overall balance with the rest of my speakers. I'm happy with them.