HELP! Frankenstein Heresy HWL woes

I gave Bob Crites two pair of used but working fine K-22 woofers a couple months ago from my Heresy 1's that I was upgrading to Super Heresy. I am sure he will sell them to you for a reasonable price.

However, you may want to turn them into high quality speakers; if so, check out Claude's Super Heresy thread over on Technical/Modifications. Since you got these for the right price...nothing...maybe you should look at upgrading to real excellence.

Long thread to read, if you read it all, but just do what Claude says early in the thread if your Heresys are Heresy I's.

1 minute ago, ishwash said:

However, you may want to turn them into high quality speakers; if so, check out Claude's Super Heresy thread over on Technical/Modifications. Since you got these for the right price...nothing...maybe you should look at upgrading to real excellence.

Long thread to read, if you read it all, but just do what Claude says early in the thread if your Heresys are Heresy I's.

Too funny!  I was just reading through this thread moments ago.  

Not sure what the future plans will be for these.  As you mentioned, starting with a $0 investment opens some doors.  
I already have Crites CW1228's that will be in today, so that was step one.  

Step two will come after much, much reading and learning on this site.   Today I've been browsing trying to determine how much of this is OEM and how much has been replaced over the last 33 years (see pic's attached).

IMG-5773.JPG

IMG-5775.JPG

IMG-5776.JPG

IMG-5772.JPG

Of all of the Heresies I've seen, all have had K-22s if they were mounted to the rear of the motorboard, notwithstanding the codex statement.  There was a transition period after 1982 when the Heresy got the K-53 used in HIIs, so we have called those H1.5s.  Strictly a Forum designation.  Perhaps the change to HII came late into the year 1985, after yours, making the Codex still true. 

Would have to see what the capacitors are in the E-2 crossover to be sure it is the  E-2 that it says it is, and if the caps are right size for E-2, then it can for all practical purposes be treated as a "forum designated" Heresy 1.5 (latter-day Heresy 1) and the OP can go from that point. Toss the woofers, previous owner used up the K22's and current ones are wrong, most likely.

If they were mine I'd replace the caps with new correct ones for the E-2, confirm that the tweeter and midrange produce sound (don't be concerned they won't sound worth a hardly that way, that's normal). I would then find some K-22's and install and listen to the speakers all closed up to see if I am happy. I did Claude's SH mod with both a Heresy 1 (K55 mid) and the Heresy 1.5 (K53 mid). Imho (my ears for proof only) the K55 is a better mid than the K53. Before I would buy new diaphragms for a K53 mid, I would consider changing to Crites a55g sitting on his new JA mid horn, the g700.

On 10/6/2018 at 3:25 PM, ishwash said:

Would have to see what the capacitors are in the E-2 crossover to be sure it is the  E-2 that it says it is, and if the caps are right size for E-2, then it can for all practical purposes be treated as a "forum designated" Heresy 1.5 (latter-day Heresy 1) and the OP can go from that point. Toss the woofers, previous owner used up the K22's and current ones are wrong, most likely.

If they were mine I'd replace the caps with new correct ones for the E-2, confirm that the tweeter and midrange produce sound (don't be concerned they won't sound worth a hardly that way, that's normal). I would then find some K-22's and install and listen to the speakers all closed up to see if I am happy. I did Claude's SH mod with both a Heresy 1 (K55 mid) and the Heresy 1.5 (K53 mid). Imho (my ears for proof only) the K55 is a better mid than the K53. Before I would buy new diaphragms for a K53 mid, I would consider changing to Crites a55g sitting on his new JA mid horn, the g700.

Thanks for the input guys.  The CW1228's are in and sound fantastic (the magnet's on those things compared to the K-22 yowza!)

Sounds like the cap's are the next move.  @ishwash The K-77's and K-53's are all making sound, but they do sound a bit muttled.

Probably going to get with Bob Crites and make sure I acquire the correct components for the E-2.  

8 hours ago, stealthcheetah said:

Thanks for the input guys.  The CW1228's are in and sound fantastic (the magnet's on those things compared to the K-22 yowza!)

Sounds like the cap's are the next move.  @ishwash The K-77's and K-53's are all making sound, but they do sound a bit muttled.

Probably going to get with Bob Crites and make sure I acquire the correct components for the E-2.  

I am not giving you, @stealthcheetah, good advice if you are going to change out your midrange horns to K55 or the a55g. If you do, that you don't need to spend money on new E-2 capacitors. You would get new E-2 caps only if you are going to stick with the K53's.

The crossover that you would use with K55's or a55g is the Type C, I believe. The only difference between the E-2 and the C is the capacitors. You can compare the two crossovers by looking at their wiring diagrams, which exist over in the Tech/Mod area, I think. You prob ought to digest that Super Heresy thread of Claude's now and decide whether you are going to keep the K53's, so you don't waste a little bit of money on capacitors you may end up not using.

Understood @ishwash.  I appreciate the reply.  SInce I already have the CW1228's and new Sonicap's on the way, I will probably use this setup for the time being, assuming I don't run into any issues with tweeters or squawkers and the sound is satisfactory.

Down the road I would definitely like to collect parts to do the SH's, but i'll more than likely enjoy them with the new woofers and caps for now.  Thank you all for your help!

We'll see how everything sounds with my Marantz 2230.  I'm sure they have wayyy more potential that 30 watts, but I figured the 74' Marantz is going to be a good, clean source.  Time will tell!