Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
stealthcheetah

HELP! Frankenstein Heresy HWL woes

Recommended Posts

Hello Klipsch wizards!

 

Looking for some insight on a pair of Heresy's that I stumbled on.

 

No joke, these were found in a dumpster and I had no choice but to rescue them.  

They are in surprisingly decent shape, but after giving them a test drive, there are issues with the woofers.  They still sound decent with low volume, but one of the woofers has a bit of a knock/click/rattle when given some extra volume, and the pictures can explain.  It's as though the cones in the woofers  have sagged? twisted? over time.  One worse than the other (the black one).

Not to mention, the history tells an interesting story.  The two woofers are obviously different, but very similar at the same time, marking wise. One with a raw casing finish and soldered connections, and one with a black finish with obviously newer wiring connections.
 

I want to do this the right way, so the question is:

1. Are these in the category of sending off to be re-coned by the appropriate shop? (I could use some advice on said shop near Indiana)

OR

2.  Are these in the category of looking into full replacement woofers?

 

Please let me know if additional info is needed, but thank you all in advance for any helpful input!

 

Heresy Photo's
 

-PC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stealthcheetah said:

They are in surprisingly decent shape, but after giving them a test drive, there are issues with the woofers.  They still sound decent with low volume, but one of the woofers has a bit of a knock/click/rattle when given some extra volume, and the pictures can explain.  It's as though the cones in the woofers  have sagged? twisted? over time.  One worse than the other (the black one).

My fire wall here at work is preventing me from seeing the pictures.  If you have the first generation of Heresys and you hear a knocking noise, check the backs to be sure the screws are tight.  The panel can vibrate when the bass hits it.  Normally you can feel it if you put your hand on the back of the speaker while it's playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there PC, welcome to the forum.  First off, where are you in Indiana?  I'm located in the South Bend area, and could possibly help with any issues.  There is a small music shop close by to me called Hoosier Dad's that does reconing.

 

Hoosier Dad's Music Inc

Address: 4609 Grape Rd # A5, Mishawaka, IN 46545

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome PC, those look great for dumpster speakers. You came to the right place for guidance, and the two guys that responded already definitely know their stuff. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

My fire wall here at work is preventing me from seeing the pictures.  If you have the first generation of Heresys and you hear a knocking noise, check the backs to be sure the screws are tight.  The panel can vibrate when the bass hits it.  Normally you can feel it if you put your hand on the back of the speaker while it's playing.

 

Noted.  I had read that elsewhere and did double check to make sure the sound was not coming from the panel itself.  I think if you saw the pictures, it might make more sense.  You can here the "click" when you tap on the face of the woofer.

 

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Hey there PC, welcome to the forum.  First off, where are you in Indiana?  I'm located in the South Bend area, and could possibly help with any issues.  There is a small music shop close by to me called Hoosier Dad's that does reconing.

 

Hoosier Dad's Music Inc

Address: 4609 Grape Rd # A5, Mishawaka, IN 46545

 

 

 

Thanks!  Unfortunately im way down at the other end of the state in Evansville, right across the Kentucky border, but shipping would definitely be less painful in state.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stealthcheetah said:

 

Noted.  I had read that elsewhere and did double check to make sure the sound was not coming from the panel itself.  I think if you saw the pictures, it might make more sense.  You can here the "click" when you tap on the face of the woofer.

 

 

Thanks!  Unfortunately im way down at the other end of the state in Evansville, right across the Kentucky border, but shipping would definitely be less painful in state.  

OK, well there is a place in Brownsburg (a bit south of Indy) called Getchell Amplifiers that I'm pretty sure can do the work also.  You should call them.  Good people.

 

Getchell Amplifier Co. ** new location grand opening october 6th 1-6pm**


Stereo repair service in Brownsburg, Indiana
Recently opened
 
Address: 128 E Main St, Brownsburg, IN 46112
 
 
Hours: 
Closed ⋅ Opens 12PM
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, well there is a place in Brownsburg (a bit south of Indy) called Getchell Amplifiers that I'm pretty sure can do the work also.  You should call them.  Good people.

 

 

Excellent.  I appreciate the resources!  I'll have to give them a ring.

I've never seen a woofer contorted like this, but my guess is just a result of time.  The sound seems like its coming from back in the voice coil, so i'm not sure what my best options might be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stealthcheetah said:

 

Excellent.  I appreciate the resources!  I'll have to give them a ring.

I've never seen a woofer contorted like this, but my guess is just a result of time.  The sound seems like its coming from back in the voice coil, so i'm not sure what my best options might be.  

I would get them both reconed.  There will be a difference if you only do one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I would get them both reconed.  There will be a difference if you only do one of them.

 

Definitely.  I forgot to mention that in the original post.  Might as well knock them both out while i'm at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

This place was from a Google search, so it's not a personal recommendation, but it's much closer. http://www.woofer.com

They're in Louisville.

Well there you go....eventually we'll find a place that is just down the street from you.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

This place was from a Google search, so it's not a personal recommendation, but it's much closer. http://www.woofer.com

They're in Louisville.

 

Nice. Yes Louisville is a quick jump away.  The name definitely seems aggressively generic, but I will give them a ring.
 

14 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well there you go....eventually we'll find a place that is just down the street from you.....

 

ha!  That would be great, but i've called just about everybody I know that would maybe recone in the city and nobody wants to mess with old speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome and cool grills on those. lacquer finish is cool too. For sure worth saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Stealth, nice score for sure.  Think for a couple hundred, you can have a nice set of Walnut lacquer Heresys.   I have a couple of cousins that live in Evansville, I have spent many summers there (mainly across the boarder in Morganfield).  Good luck with your repairs, I know once you do, you will enjoy them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stealthcheetah - ditto: welcome to the forum,   nice score there.  looks better than my Heresys.  (lament:  I paid much more than you, and mine are just a plain ol' matte black.  😯.   )  I'm a bit envious.  maybe I need to take up dumpster diving...  one of these days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone.  I'm definitely lucky to have stumbled across them. 

 

I didnt even realize until reviewing the pictures that the two woofers that came out weren't even the K-24-K's that belong in Heresy II's.  They are marked K-22-K.  Somewhere in the history of these things, someone said, "meh, K-22's fit, so go ahead and throw em in."

Rather than going through the trouble of repairing these K-22's, I went with of Mr. Crites CW1228's, so if anyone is interested in some K-22-K's that need re-coning, let me know! 

Thanks again for all the advice on shops nearby.  Cant wait to get these thing back in action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, pretty nice dumpsters around that area apparently. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, stealthcheetah said:

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone.  I'm definitely lucky to have stumbled across them. 

 

I didnt even realize until reviewing the pictures that the two woofers that came out weren't even the K-24-K's that belong in Heresy II's.  They are marked K-22-K.  Somewhere in the history of these things, someone said, "meh, K-22's fit, so go ahead and throw em in."

Rather than going through the trouble of repairing these K-22's, I went with of Mr. Crites CW1228's, so if anyone is interested in some K-22-K's that need re-coning, let me know! 

Thanks again for all the advice on shops nearby.  Cant wait to get these thing back in action. 

 

K-22s are correct for 1985.  Those are not Heresy IIs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JohnA said:

 

K-22s are correct for 1985.  Those are not Heresy IIs. 

Brilliant!  I was hoping someone would call me out if I was wrong.  I kept going back and forth trying to determine if they were II's or not after looking through the "heritage codes" thread.

"

  • 1983-1984: The K-24 woofer is substituted for the K-22, and during the last production of the Heresy-I, the midrange K-53/701 is substituted for the K-55/700.
  • 1985: The Heresy II is introduced......"

 

Thank you for clarifying. 

Edited by stealthcheetah
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...