ATMOS: your speakers and their location

King Kong

1. How many Atmos speakers do you have?

2. What is their location/measurement in reference to seating position?

3. Are you content with your ATMOS setup?

4. What would you change?

1. I currently have two R-2650-C.

2. They are currently just forward of the main listening/seating position (circled As in the picture below if it works).

3. It's great for what I love. I love the overhead planes and helicopters.

4. I want more ceiling speakers. I would like 6 total but affordably 4 total is logical right now due to cost of capable AVRs.  Blue Dots represent the new locations for ceiling speakers. I'm looking to use the CDT-5800-Cs.

20180924_121329.thumb.jpg.a124bf1c2cb5d3c2c25be6861519deb9.jpgKKHT.jpg.5ed7b12cd0c433d77a1980744417176c.jpg

Edited by King Kong

I don't have Atmos speakers.  I have a 5.1 and two Front Height speakers configured by the Marantz 6011 using Dolby + Neural:X.

I would question a couple of things, both out of my limited knowledge of Atmos

You have blue dots for two additional pairs of Atmos.  If you could add only one more pair I would think the middle blue dots would be idea.  I've always heard the Atmos 4-speaker setup is much better than just two fronts.  I don't know anything about a 6 ceiling Atmos setup.

My other question is again out of ignorance.  Are all ceiling speakers by definition "Atmos" speakers?  Although your ceiling speakers are high quality Reference units, are they designed as Atmos modules?  Does that even make a difference?

The rest of the Home Theater setup looks nice and speaker locations look very well thought out, by the book.

I have 2 Atmos speakers.  I run a 9.2.2 setup.  The other two ceiling speakers are FH.  I am pretty happy with the setup.  I have experienced other setups with 4 Atmos speakers and not much difference. A lot of it depends on the seating arrangement.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

You have blue dots for two additional pairs of Atmos.  If you could add only one more pair I would think the middle blue dots would be idea.  I've always heard the Atmos 4-speaker setup is much better than just two fronts.  I don't know anything about a 6 ceiling Atmos setup.

From my limited understanding of how ATMOS should be set up is based on reference to the main listening position. From their diagrams, the speakers appear equidistant apart and the panning should sound seamless from your floor/ear level speakers to the Atmos/ceiling speakers. Room limitations affect the location, of course so there is always a compromise of sort. A ceiling track system for speakers would be interesting to make to adjust locations on the flyish.

My other question is again out of ignorance.  Are all ceiling speakers by definition "Atmos" speakers?  Although your ceiling speakers are high quality Reference units, are they designed as Atmos modules?  Does that even make a difference?

The ceiling speakers are just speakers up on the ceiling. ATMOS is just the coding/processing that tells the AVR to send sound to designated speakers (those assigned up on the ceiling). My speakers are not modules like the ones that reflect sound from the ceiling down to the listener.

• Like 1