New Set of Klipsch speakers, not "crisp" at high frequencies

advocation

8 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Sounds like it's inside the AVR then. These problems can be frustrating.

I'm heavily starting to lean towards this as well unfortunately... :(

It's still under warranty, but I have no idea how Denon is on their service and turn around.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, advocation said:

I'm heavily starting to lean towards this as well unfortunately... :(

It's still under warranty, but I have no idea how Denon is on their service and turn around.

I've owned Denon for 20+ years & only had 1 warranty issue (lockup during firmware update). They were very good & provided a local Authorized Repair facility. In my instance, only took about 5-to-7 days for turnaround. Hope that solves your issue, best of luck.

Audyssey has 2 EQ options:

1. "Plain old Audyssey" often called Audyssey, or Audyssey Reference.  This option rolls off the treble and might cause a lack of crispness.  It puts in a frequency dip at about 2,500 Hz, then returns to flat, and starts rolling off again at about 7 K Hz, is at - 2 dB at 10K Hz and - 6 dB at 20K Hz.  On some AVRs and AVPs this is the default setting, so you may be using it without knowing it.  Also, the DEQ is default on some Audyssey equipped, and, IMO, it muddies up the sound.   
  2. Audyssey Flat provides flat frequency response from 20 to 20K Hz.  I prefer it on my Klipchorns with a Belle Klipsch center with most movies and most music.

Here are what may be the best Audyssey sources of information:

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

EDIT: Are the speakers toed in toward the main listening position?  That is the "crispest" orientation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, garyrc said:

Audyssey has 2 EQ options:

1. "Plain old Audyssey" often called Audyssey, or Audyssey Reference.  This option rolls off the treble and might cause a lack of crispness.  It puts in a frequency dip at about 2,500 Hz, then returns to flat, and starts rolling off again at about 7 K Hz, is at - 2 dB at 10K Hz and - 6 dB at 20K Hz.  On some AVRs and AVPs this is the default setting, so you may be using it without knowing it.  Also, the DEQ is default on some Audyssey equipped, and, IMO, it muddies up the sound.   
  2. Audyssey Flat provides flat frequency response from 20 to 20K Hz.  I prefer it on my Klipchorns with a Belle Klipsch center with most movies and most music.

Here are what may be the best Audyssey sources of information:

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

I'll look into this too, but I had tested the flat setting at one point or another. Right now I'm defaulted with everything off (didn't re-run Audyssey), so it would be whatever default settings are when it's shut off and not run.

You need a different AVR or receiver to connect your speakers to. Post your location, maybe someone on here can help with a different power source, or take one of your speakers for someone to try. Are the speakers or AVR still under warranty?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

You need a different AVR or receiver to connect your speakers to. Post your location, maybe someone on here can help with a different power source, or take one of your speakers for someone to try. Are the speakers or AVR still under warranty?

All 7 speakers are brand new...I highly doubt all 7 are bad, they would have all come from different batches and some from different vendors. The AVR is only a year old, so it still has two years of a warranty left. I might be able to get another AVR to test next weekend.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, advocation said:

All 7 speakers are brand new...I highly doubt all 7 are bad, they would have all come from different batches and some from different vendors. The AVR is only a year old, so it still has two years of a warranty left. I might be able to get another AVR to test next weekend.

That is all fine, and think it is the AVR of course, yet, it would be nice to test any receiver against the speakers. Any stereo receiver...alright.

At least you have patience...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, advocation said:

Another AVR might explain a lot.

2 hours ago, billybob said:

That is all fine, and think it is the AVR of course, yet, it would be nice to test any receiver against the speakers. Any stereo receiver...alright.

At least you have patience...

Yes, he definitely seems thorough and patient.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, advocation said:

I'll look into this too, but I had tested the flat setting at one point or another. Right now I'm defaulted with everything off (didn't re-run Audyssey), so it would be whatever default settings are when it's shut off and not run.

The sound I heard was clear distortion and not an Audyssey problem.

I know you used different HDMI connectors in the AVR from the PS4.  Have you considered using an RCA cable?  The purpose would be to bypass the HDMI board.

I know it's a long shot and I don't think that's the problem but I'm out of ideas.

• Like 1

Hello all,

This is my first post and the first time trying to explain this, so please go easy on me. I just got a new set of klipsch speakers setup in my home, and to me they don't sound "crisp" at anything on the high end/frequency. So mainly this would be dialog, and appears to happen across all my speakers, not just the center (I can hear the same problem when something is in stereo). It's almost as if there is a slight muffle or buzz to the sound when someone is talking. No issues on the low end or with bass. Here is my setup:

RP-280F
RC-62ii
R14M
R-2650-Cii
R10SW
Denon X1300W

So I know off-hand that my receiver is not fully up to par on the speakers. I originally had this hooked up to some cheaper speakers from a home theater in a box setup, and while the sound was lacking, I didn't have problem with dialog or what I'm seeing with the Klipsch. My question is, is it the receiver that could be causing these issues because they are not able to produce enough wattage? I notice the issue no matter what volume level they are set at. I have ran the Audyssey setup, as well as tried to manually adjust the speakers but nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions?
What guage speaker cable are you using

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Another AVR might explain a lot.

Yes, he definitely seems thorough and patient.

Haha. Been in IT for 15 years, so troubleshooting isn't a problem and is second nature.

4 hours ago, smallsmx3 said:

What guage speaker cable are you using

14 Gauge wire.

15 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The sound I heard was clear distortion and not an Audyssey problem.

I know you used different HDMI connectors in the AVR from the PS4.  Have you considered using an RCA cable?  The purpose would be to bypass the HDMI board.

I know it's a long shot and I don't think that's the problem but I'm out of ideas.

Let me see if I have some type of converter. 

• Like 2

I know you mentioned it I think but have you tried hooking up the speaker while bypassing the speaker wire plate and in wall wire? You don’t know what’s going on inside that wall so try plugging your speaker directly into the receiver. It doesn’t surprise me that whatever issue is being amplified by the Klipsch speakers, which are famously efficient and sensitive. It wouldn’t surprise me if some speaker wire is cross polaritied (is that a word?) inside that wall. 

• Like 4

I’m not going to be able to assist much with your audio issues. It seems that you’ve got it narrowed to a couple of likely  possibilities and I hope you get those sorted quickly. However, I do want to tell you that I’m running the exact same LCR set up, in our Family Room, powered by a Denon AVR X2200W. I just added the RP280Fs last week, replacing RF52iis. I’m here to tell you it’s fantastic! Even with the relatively low power of my AVR, the 280s rock! Maybe not enough to “Piss Off” the neighbors (they aren’t that close) but more than enough to annoy my lovely wife. You’ve chosen well, I hope you get to enjoy them to their full potential very soon.

• Like 3

I’m not going to be able to assist much with your audio issues. It seems that you’ve got it narrowed to a couple of likely  possibilities and I hope you get those sorted quickly. However, I do want to tell you that I’m running the exact same LCR set up, in our Family Room, powered by a Denon AVR X2200W. I just added the RP280Fs last week, replacing RF52iis. I’m here to tell you it’s fantastic! Even with the relatively low power of my AVR, the 280s rock! Maybe not enough to “Piss Off” the neighbors (they aren’t that close) but more than enough to annoy my lovely wife. You’ve chosen well, I hope you get to enjoy them to their full potential very soon.
That's good to hear. I'm getting rp 8000fs tomorrow. I'm worried my sony 1080 isn't going to be enough. But as sensitive as Klipsch speakers are it should be plenty..... Right?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smallsmx3 said:

That's good to hear. I'm getting rp 8000fs tomorrow. I'm worried my sony 1080 isn't going to be enough. But as sensitive as Klipsch speakers are it should be plenty..... Right?

I’m thinking yes. My Denon is rated @95 watts/channel (2channel) and it fills our 13’X20’ room with serious volume. I’ve seen over 100db from my usual listening position (app 10’ away) with no distortion or issues. Good choice on the RP8000s I hear they’ve really upped the finish on the cabinets. I got a good deal and couldn’t pass up the older model.

• Like 1

I’m thinking yes. My Denon is rated @95 watts/channel (2channel) and it fills our 13’X20’ room with serious volume. I’ve seen over 100db from my usual listening position (app 10’ away) with no distortion or issues. Good choice on the RP8000s I hear they’ve really upped the finish on the cabinets. I got a good deal and couldn’t pass up the older model.
I have a buddy who got them at cost for me. It was a no brainier. I also got the RP 504c. Waiting to try them out before I invest in Surrounds and a sub

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 11:08 PM, CoryGillmore said:

I know you mentioned it I think but have you tried hooking up the speaker while bypassing the speaker wire plate and in wall wire? You don’t know what’s going on inside that wall so try plugging your speaker directly into the receiver. It doesn’t surprise me that whatever issue is being amplified by the Klipsch speakers, which are famously efficient and sensitive. It wouldn’t surprise me if some speaker wire is cross polaritied (is that a word?) inside that wall. 

All of my testing was done with a single cable plugged directly from the speaker to any of my 3 front speakers, 1 at a time (including using a new cable that didn't have any banana plugs on it). The other 4 speakers were through the wall plate, but at this point, I think we can eliminate the wall plate and speaker cables as the issue.

On 10/7/2018 at 12:14 PM, YK Thom said:

It is not unknown for the odd receiver  to have an HDMI board problem. The RCA cable idea might bear fruit.

I did use an optical out to test with today and had the same problem. I don't have any RCA converters or anyway to test this way yet, still looking.

Denon has yet to respond to my support request, think I'm going to have to call them.