Subwoofers for Heresy III's

bluesman1960

Greetings all. Been reading a number of posts from HIII owners pairing them with subs. I haven't felt an urgent need so far for adding a sub but am curious on what I may be missing out. So I ask, what subs have fellow HIII owners found to be a good match? My application is primarily 2 channel stereo for music....

I paired my Heresy II's with a Klipsch kg sw subwoofer. No longer available, but it works well as they are matched in efficiency. Adding that extra 1/2 octave to the bottom end was worth it.

If I were to get a powered subwoofer, I'd get any of the SB (sealed bass) series from SVS Sound. A sealed subwoofer will have a tighter attack and match the sealed Heresy's sound better. I yearn for one of these but I'm too cheap.

• Like 2

It's so interesting that most posts on the Klipsche Forum act as if adding a Subwoofer in two channel listening is a waste or overkill. I have a pair of Fortes and they sound great with many genres of music but when I added a large HSU sub that filled in that lower octave it was mind boggling. Put on Rhianna or David Guetta, or Lady Gaga and give some power to My Mcintosh Integrated and it feels like being live! Play James Taylor on Vinyl on his live album - and mercy me!!!! you can feel the bass way down low and to me it feels good

• Like 2

I had my Heresys paired with two Speakercraft BassX-10 subs. Each sub was under an end table with the Heresy on top. The subs blended seamlessly and rounded out the detail into thinking it was full range towers. Just added picture below.

Tim

Not Heresy III's but ... pair of Super Heresy via @ClaudeJ1 recipe with a pair of Velodyne DD10, in the bottom of all wood, home made stands.  Fits like a glove and sounds very nice thank you.  The DD10's are small(ish), and in the stands are very unobtrusive akin to the @teaman setup above.  WAF is good, as they "hide" nicely.  Don't turn them up too much though!

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, bluesman1960 said:

Greetings all. Been reading a number of posts from HIII owners pairing them with subs. I haven't felt an urgent need so far for adding a sub but am curious on what I may be missing out. So I ask, what subs have fellow HIII owners found to be a good match? My application is primarily 2 channel stereo for music....

If you are somewhat local to me these would be just about perfect.:D

Bill

I've tried a couple different setups with my H3's. Those that Bill has for sale would be killer. I have ONE R-10D sub and it does the job nicely with the H3's. I've also had a couple DIY horn subs the THTLP and the Anarchy 25hz tapped horn. Both of these worked very well. If you can find the drivers I would build a couple Anarchy subs they really are great with the H3 and any series Heresy for that matter.

Great choice by the way, I love my H3's.

• Like 1

Got the 15" kit from PartsExpress with the Dayton Audio 15" subwoofers.  Coupled it with a Dayton Audio SA1000 amp.  Really good with my Heresy's ... Probably about $500 and a bit of work :D 

Cheers, Emile

IMG_2092.JPG

OK; pic doesn't show much ... just proud of my veneering job :D 

• Like 2

I am using a Klipsch SW-311 because it came bundled with my new HIII's.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-SW-311-10-Inch-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B0046L8QHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538841100&sr=8-3&keywords=klipsch+sw+311

I find it integrates well, and I love the small size and sealed design, but since I have moved my HIII's up against a wall now I find the sub is not so necessary. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes I think the bass sounds more "honest" without it. I have recently changed to driving it with an input signal derived from the speaker outputs from my power amp (VTA ST-70) and I like it better than when driving it from the preamp line level signal. (The sub itself has no speaker level inputs) Makes it a little more invisible. I find I really need to keep the crossover low (60 Hz) and the slope high (36 dB/Octave) or it colors the upper bass too much. The HIII's have such nice upper bass that I don't want to mess with it. My room has a deep null at 52 Hz, so the sub ends up filling in from 27 to 47 according to REW.

Not Heresy III's, but my upgraded Heresy IIs sound very good with a REL T2 (the current equivalent model is the T7) for 2 channel music.  I was running two 8 inch sealed M&K VX7 subs with them off the high level outputs, which sounded pretty good, but I lost some of the tightness in the bass. Not huge, but it was occasionally annoying enough to make me look for other options.  Swapped in the single REL using the high level Speakon cable and it integrates very well for 2 channel music. It's almost impossible to detect it is there until you turn it off - which is a nice improvement compared to the M&Ks and other, larger, home theater subs I have also tried with the Heresys. The REL just blends much better than anything else I have tried.  Like its a part of the system not an add on for lack of a better term. Now I'm wondering what TWO of these would sound like 😆

Edited by Mike N
  • Like 1

I have noticed over the years many here seem to recommend almost every brand of sub but Klipsch. Is there some reason for this?

I own several Klipsch subs and I’m fine with them but the sub amps don’t have the best reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, bluesman1960 said:

Maybe you've seen this picture that I had posted in the past. I still think that a pair of KW-120 subs and a KA-1000 amp, with a pair of Heresy III, is a great sounding combination.

IMG_3140.JPG.a29fd4ee4afbdacb97a0e9d2fc332700.JPG

• Like 2

I already owned 2 REL subs when I bought the Heresy IIIs late last year. One is a front-firing 10" Q150e (150 watts) and the other a down-firing 8" Q108 MKII (100 watts), both were found on Ebay in great shape for around $200 each…I admit that's a great price, but I've seen these at close to that price recently so hey…worth a look!  The thing I discovered about good, adjustable subs is the "room charging" subtle qualities that put more than simply musical bass notes into the mix, but add a natural dimension to the feel of of the sound…this is what the real world sounds like. In any case in my listening room the Heresy IIIs seem to sound better on the floor, with the subs nearby in mono to help each other cancel unwanted standing waves or pesky room nodes, and both are using the REL "high level" power amp derived signal. They kick in at just above 58hz, with proper phase and easily accessible level as all recordings differ somewhat. They mostly get left alone…but although the Heresy IIIs have very even and accurate bass within their limits, the subs just make 'em sing somehow…note that both subs are relatively small (I used the 150e alone for a couple of years…sounded fine…2 subs are finer) so I can't imagine they wouldn't fit in just about any room…but man…utterly worth it.