402 horn from KPT-305 midbass blended with Khorn bass bin

Delicious2

Thought this might be interesting.  Mark F who sold me the 305s and BMS drivers suggested this thread since not many have tried this.  I've enjoyed 1990 Khorns modded with Eliptrac mids and ALK universal xovers for some years now, but, have been salivating over the K402 horn.  I only recently found out that the midbass KPT-305s use a K402 so when I saw Mark F (Mark1101) was selling a pair I had to have them and find a way to ship from GA to MA.  uShip turned out to be a good way to get small freight carriers to notice my need and I lucked out with a independent 1 man with a truck and great communication/help from Mark F to make it happen.  Big thanks upfront to ChrisA for making this possible with great support for this first time active xover guy.  Chris happened to be testing the BMS 4592 coax on his MEH 402 just as I was needing those settings.  How cool is that?

KPT-305 front.jpg

KPT-305 side-rear.jpg

• Like 2

Disassembly of the 305s was straightforward except the horn wouldn't come loose once all fasteners were removed.  I let them sit for 1 hour and the factory seal must have relaxed since then they could be removed by reaching into the front and pulling by the input hole.

Mounting the 402s on the bass bin wasn't too tough once I realized that the tweeter baffles/stands I made for the K77s were the right height to support the horn/driver and tilt the horn slightly down to compensate for the 52" on center height vs. more around 30" which would be better for my 13' LP/ear height.  Ordinary clamps work well to hold the lip against the bin step temporarily.

Hookup of the Xilica 4080 was basic also once I confirmed that it goes between the pre/pro and amps and obtained the balanced to SE adapters - 2 RCA female to XLR female for the inputs and 6 XLR male to RCA female for the outputs.  Sourced these locally at Guitar Center.

ChrisA then made the programming/tuning easy by providing his initial settings for the Xilica based on his testing of the BMS driver on his MEH.  What a great guy and resource to the community that he then went back and forth with me numerous times in email getting the UMIK-1 mic placement and floor padding correct then patiently through 5 iterative rounds of measuring, analyzing, changing and measuring again.  I'm pretty computer literate so the basics of REW and Xconsole came easily to me but without Chris I'd be lost when it came to analyzing what I had measured and knowing what to adjust. 

Tri-amping at the moment is VTL TT monoblocks in triode mode on the bass bins, FirstWatt SIT2 on the mids and a cheapy Trends 10.2 integrated on the tweets.  Preamp duty is with my trusty NuForce AVP16 recently retired from the HT in favor of the Anthem AVM60.  Sources include an Oppo 103D, AudioQuest DragonFly 1.2 from a MacPro (mostly playing Tidal) and if I get a notion for digging out some of my old vinyl a Basis 1200 TT.

I'm getting ready to build a pair of the AmpCamp 1.6 kits so those will get mixed in if I'm successful (first amp build and no longer very steady hands...)

One comment that I should make (and pardon me, Mark, for tooting your horn for you): 

In the past there was the notion that the Khorn SPL bass bin rolled off at a lower frequency than what you wanted in order to use a 2" compression driver on the K-402 horn (the crossover frequency being 450 Hz in my experience).  I was amazed to see that the crossover filter settings for the Jubilee bass bin exactly matched those I used for Mark's Khorn bass bins.  In the end, the performance is truly spectacular using the BMS 4592ND drivers, thus making this configuration a tri-amped 3-way.  Note the 1 dB vertical scale resolution below and the flatness of the phase plot relative to the minimum phase curve:

636048575_MarksJub-KhornsSPLandPhaseOn-Axis.thumb.jpg.7d5c58bae8b5ffc7ab43bbd3e859c36a.jpg

1233163870_MarksJub-KhornsImpulseSpectrogram.thumb.jpg.d9a33f034bbef677c7b7e26a8b6974b3.jpg

So the bottom line is that if you want a major upgrade from your Khorns in terms their sound, a pair of K-402 horns with a good 2" compression drivers and one DSP crossover (bi-amping) will certainly get you there--and at an extremely reasonable price.  This is the most major upgrade that you can make in sound to your Khorns, and will put your loudspeakers into a class that is not touched by any other loudspeakers costing even more than 10x as much (and I'm not sure that the sound quality in-room can actually be met by any other loudspeakers except Jubilees). 

• Like 2

By the way, that's much better phase performance than "brand x" multiple entry horns...:wink:  You should get the same uncanny smoothness, clarity, and accuracy as brand X and have a full 90 degrees of coverage from 31 Hz to 20 kHz.  This is certainly something to hear.

Chris

• Like 1

I missed the cat sleeping peacefully...

JubeKhorn Right.jpg

My border collies also like to snooze right in front of the Jub bass bin center panels.  I suppose it's actually a little quieter there than at the listening positions. Directivity has spillover benefits, it seems. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

This is great.  I'm glad this all worked out.  Question:  The 305 boxes were no good to set on the bass bins?   I figured having those boxes would be a plus.  I guess too big?

Yeah, too big for the Khorn bass bins.  I'm thinking they may get used down in the mancave/HT if I can get another set of 402s.  They would be killer L and R behind my AT 140" scope screen either on top of some other bass bins or (dare I hope) converted to MEH!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coytee said:

Those are some big boxes!! 

Well, they're bigger than the plan view of the Khorn bass bin, but not as big as an entire Khorn.  For the acoustic performance upgrade that you're getting, I believe it's a small price...indeed.

Chris

• Like 1

And the best news is that you don't even have to deal with these boxes to get this upgrade. Anyone can buy the K402 horns with K691 drivers and base/stands and do this!  I'm glad I went this way because I'll find another use for the boxes, but, it's surprisingly easy to do this relatively inexpensively without them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chris A said:

Well, they're bigger than the plan view of the Khorn bass bin, but not as big as an entire Khorn.  For the acoustic performance upgrade that you're getting, I believe it's a small price...indeed.

So instead of honk.....  you're getting GOOD honk on steroids!

I can live with that :)

• Delicious2 changed the title to 402 horn from KPT-305 midbass blended with Khorn bass bin