Lava lamps WHAT is the current latest and greatest?

MEH Synergy

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I think that true black light has to come from a fluorescent bulb.  You could always get one of those purple incandescent bulbs and try it in there.

I had quite a large collection of them. The green? one here has a 12 volt automotive LED (1157 style) black light in it. I cleaned out an old lava lamp bottle,

filled with distilled water and hung 2-3 yellow highlighter pen guts for a few days. No heat or movement but it sure glows.

With regular Lava lamps - always use a dimmer. Once you see where they are 'happy' they won't overheat and you can leave them on 24/7.

200.JPG

201.JPG

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, NADman said:

With regular Lava lamps - always use a dimmer. Once you see where they are 'happy' they won't overheat and you can leave them on 24/7.

Ah Ha, always had a problem with them, they would get hot and start acting strange and you would have to let them cool to work well again, good idea. 

• Like 1

Nice to see this thread come back to life. I bought a second "vintage" one a couple of years back. I'll have to get a picture of it. Same late 90s as my original one. Not sure how helpful it will be but this box top is a nice reference if you are shopping ebay and want a specific color combo and the seller has included the numbers. Note the 1996 copyright upper right.

Has anyone had luck with the sites that tell you how to refresh your LL? Mine 2nd one is cloudy and while the lava moves it turns in to tiny blobs after a start up of long strands that looks like Silly String. Nothing like my original or my sisters from 60/70. I really want to get mine back to perfection, but don't want to ruin it or make it worse than it already is. Since I make my own beer I have a bottle capper so no problem sealing it back up.

Fix a cloudy one http://www.moltenmeditation.com/lava-lamps.html

LavaLampBox.thumb.jpg.bd8cacdce9c1312b11d02f54ae0880a2.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rplace said:

Nice to see this thread come back to life. I bought a second "vintage" one a couple of years back. I'll have to get a picture of it. Same late 90s as my original one. Not sure how helpful it will be but this box top is a nice reference if you are shopping ebay and want a specific color combo and the seller has included the numbers. Note the 1996 copyright upper right.

Has anyone had luck with the sites that tell you how to refresh your LL? Mine 2nd one is cloudy and while the lava moves it turns in to tiny blobs after a start up of long strands that looks like Silly String. Nothing like my original or my sisters from 60/70. I really want to get mine back to perfection, but don't want to ruin it or make it worse than it already is. Since I make my own beer I have a bottle capper so no problem sealing it back up.

Fix a cloudy one http://www.moltenmeditation.com/lava-lamps.html

Cool, Thanks for the repair link. I do know that the chemistry changed from the earlier models to the newer ones. Maybe the older ones used Carbon Tetrachloride? I’ll have to go back and re-read the info. I find that I don’t retain useless knowledge nearly as easily as I used to. I’ve recently ordered a new one myself. I’ll post a picture as soon as it arrives. I used Lava Lite’s custom design option. It may be hideous, sometimes my taste is questionable. 

13 hours ago, dtel said:

Love that wall

I think this is pretty cool too. At the push of a button, a sunscreen comes down to block the light coming in through the glass block (92% blockage)

I feel like Austin Powers when it is going down! I usually say "yeah baby" as it does. No mirror ball yet.

IMG_1071.thumb.jpg.ae607001c3e03a1e4cee4f2b2dc14969.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought this one. I did the “custom” option. It’s certainly different. I’ve got to admit, I’m a little disappointed. I went with what I thought would be a cool color combo, metallic green, 17” lamp, with blue liquid, and purple wax. It does look good and certainly is different. However,  I find I like the proportions of the 16” 52oz much better. Also the blue liquid /purple wax is quite dark and just doesn’t let the light shine through. I think it would be better with the  52 oz. model. Oh well, it’s far from the worst purchase I’ve ever made. I still want one of the Grande models. 

B0E7584C-1192-451B-B746-CF9EE2E0F1E3.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, M_Klipsches said:

I just bought this one. I did the “custom” option. It’s certainly different. I’ve got to admit, I’m a little disappointed. I went with what I thought would be a cool color combo, metallic green, 17” lamp, with blue liquid, and purple wax. It does look good and certainly is different. However,  I find I like the proportions of the 16” 52oz much better. Also the blue liquid /purple wax is quite dark and just doesn’t let the light shine through. I think it would be better with the  52 oz. model. Oh well, it’s far from the worst purchase I’ve ever made. I still want one of the Grande models. 

B0E7584C-1192-451B-B746-CF9EE2E0F1E3.jpeg

Would try it against a light background to see if the color contrast can be enabled more.

Congrats... cool

Oooops...lol

I still got one as well, should turn it on more often. We might run into a problem here in old Europe, as production of classic lightbulbs has been stopped by EU law a feww years back. Every no and then i think to myself, i should put away some spares, before they run out of stock in Germany.

What´s the situation in the States/ Canada?

10 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

I still got one as well, should turn it on more often. We might run into a problem here in old Europe, as production of classic lightbulbs has been stopped by EU law a feww years back. Every no and then i think to myself, i should put away some spares, before they run out of stock in Germany.

We can still get them here in the US  with no problem. But now that you mention it I suppose I need to stash some away too. I love led lights and have mostly switched to them. But the old school incandescents are the only thing that would work in a lava lamp. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Wally    Canada. I think oven light bulbs are still incandescent. Mostly incandescent bulbs are not available here anymore.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lava-25-watt-light-bulb/6000099196120

• 1 year later...

Great thread, just got a 14.5" Lava lamp from the Target for $25.  Mesmerized, great focal point for the stereo.

Shout out to @NADman, the dimmer is now installed and easily adjusted for continous even exchange from bottom to top.  Otherwise, the wax just migrates to the top over time, and the lamp will need to be turned off to cool down.

Another tweak is back side 90' covered with felt, don't need to see through the lamp, more contrast for the blob show.

lava lamp.jpeg

More tweaks:  Used Fun Tak to better secure to bottom, also to space top cover up 10 mm to just below water level.

Also noticed odd sticker, reflections on inside of stand apparent when close up viewing.  More felt on inside of stand now allows undiminished viewing of the entire show available.

• Like 1