Approximate valuation of 2009 Khorns

KeepItKlipsch

I found a pair of nice, oak 2009 (all stock) collared Khorns in excellent condition. I'm not super fond of the exterior finish (wood and color), but they are in great condition otherwise from what I can tell. 

Anyone have a ballpark idea what these would be worth? I'm thinking 4k to 5k range, seeing as they are so new, but I certainly see that most Khorns often go for far less and often far less (obviously they are the longest run of mfr speaker, so that figures). 

Opinions?

31 minutes ago, Budman said:

if your not super fond of the exterior why would you spend 4-5 G's        makes no sense to me

if i'm not fond of the veneer i wouldn't buy them

need pictures for condition

I would love to find some teak or cherry recent Khorns for a nice price, but I have to be realistic - not going to come up that often in my area.

To me the sound is the most important quality, along with being presentable enough for the wife.  I can assure you the condition is excellent.

Current floor on which they will sit is actually top quality red oak, so the oak would be "good enough". Teak would be ideal (I love teak furniture), but obvsly teak finish in Khorns is few and far between, so unless I reveneer them (or another pair), pretty unlikely to happen. Of the common veneer species, I'd probably be most happy with walnut, but that's ok.  Honestly the biggest issue I have with the oak veneer is the color of stain that they used, not the oak specie itself. Oak would be okay. It's not a deal breaker for me.

So for 2009 Khorns in excellent condition say, like $3500'ish ballpark? 

1 hour ago, KeepItKlipsch said:

So for 2009 Khorns in excellent condition say, like $3500'ish ballpark?  

Jim directly upstream ^^^ has a pretty good grasp of prices.  I think his numbers are good.

I track Heritage prices but I have so few examples of Khorns 2000-2018 and the sold prices vary so widely my "average" is of no value.

I have a confirmed sale price, $2000 Walnut Lacquer, date born 2007, date sold Dec 2017, condition was Good.

Another confirmed price $4900, Black, speaker was born on April 2015, sold May 2017, Idaho in Excellent condition.

That's about it for confirmed prices.

Oaks a little tricky, it's not very popular for some reason even though it's nice to look at.

While walnut isn't a premium wood veneer, it does command a premium price in comparrison to Oak these days.

I would expect oak to make a speaker like the Klipschorn suffer a 500-750 price drop... Again for no good reason other than esthetics. 

10 hours ago, Bella said:

Just my two cents, but I put more value on older speakers - especially if their condition is excellent. 

Mind if I ask why?

It seems like Klipsch has tried to make improvements to the speakers over the decades while still holding true to PWK's original vision and design, but it seems there is a large bifurcation in opinion between the traditionalist Klipsch fans who like the "honky" sound and lack of audiophile refined smoothness of the old khorns, but love the "lively" dynamics vs. newer Khorn models and other highly refined wider dynamic range non-horn high-end audiophile speakers nowadays. 

Obviously, there's no denying that the Khorn cabinet design has fundamental limitations that even PWK realized and tried to overcome even til his final days (Jubilee, etc.). I may even go the route of rolling my own cabinet (like a "California" design) if I don't feel the cost:benefit works out on a set of Khorns.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:43 AM, KeepItKlipsch said:

Mind if I ask why?

It seems like Klipsch has tried to make improvements to the speakers over the decades while still holding true to PWK's original vision and design, but it seems there is a large bifurcation in opinion between the traditionalist Klipsch fans who like the "honky" sound and lack of audiophile refined smoothness of the old khorns, but love the "lively" dynamics vs. newer Khorn models and other highly refined wider dynamic range non-horn high-end audiophile speakers nowadays. 

Obviously, there's no denying that the Khorn cabinet design has fundamental limitations that even PWK realized and tried to overcome even til his final days (Jubilee, etc.). I may even go the route of rolling my own cabinet (like a "California" design) if I don't feel the cost:benefit works out on a set of Khorns.

I place more value on say a 40 year old pair of speakers that have obviously been well cared for. Anybody can find a pair of 5-10 year old horns in perfect condition. The challenge is finding that same pristine cabinet 4 decades after they were made. A much rarer find and something I place a premium on. I can always swap out the drivers if want to. And I suppose you could say I could always have the cabinets refinished. My only response is, I somehow feel that's cheating.