Center Channel Recommendations

Rudy81

Will soon be adding a 5.1 setup to my den and have everything but the center channel.  My goal is to add an off the shelf, Klipsch center channel, preferably used.  Nothing fancy really, just a solid performer.  This is not our primary HT, just wanted to add the 5.1 capability.

Appreciate any suggestions.  Several used centers like an RC-62, RC-35, RC-25 for sale in the local area.  I am, however, not at all familiar with Klipsch's HT line of speakers. 

All three of those centers are very good but I would narrow the choices to the RC-35 and RC-62 because they have 6” woofers.

This is an ongoing debate around these parts but I am in the camp that I want my front 3 speakers to be the same, or as close to the same as possible. 

Front 3 all the same is of course ideal.  I have that in my main media room.  My other speakers are actually Klipsch in-wall types.  For this application, I am not planning on being too picky.  I will check on the RC-35 and RC-62.  Prices are reasonable. 

On 10/4/2018 at 10:45 PM, K5SS said:

This is an ongoing debate around these parts but I am in the camp that I want my front 3 speakers to be the same,

or as close to the same as possible. 

I think yours is the majority opinion, so you are solid.  I think most people would agree that it is my philosophy on the center speaker which is the minority opinion. 

I am a fan of "get the best center speaker you can afford."  My reasoning is the center does not play the same content as the L/R.  Its primary function is to produce clear and accurate vocals.  For movies or TV 90% of the content is dialog, and 90% of dialog comes from the center speaker.

I respect both viewpoints.  People should consider all sides and get whatever speaker they deem best for their listening environment.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 10:38 AM, isotopesope said:

i love my RP440c, which is paired with RP-250F mains and RP240S surrounds.  i went with a "bigger" center, for better dialog performance. 

I'm looking at the RP-450C to go with my RF-3's so I'm following this. Started my own thread with specifics.

• Like 3

When it comes to center speakers I'm a firm believer in getting the biggest / best that you can fit / afford. The RC-7 and RC-64 II are my personal favorites if looking for one smaller I'd go with the RC-3. The RC-35 was the newer replacement but they really cheaped out on the cabinet build quality and the tweeter motor is tiny compared to the RC-3, not sure it makes a huge difference in sound but just looking at the two side by side is bothersome to me. 

• Like 2

This is a wild hair I got for my den area, where we watch tv on any given day.  The room already has some older in-wall Klipsch speakers in stalled by the home's previous owner.  They generally went unused and only came on when whole house audio was in use.

I picked up a used Integra DTR-40.5 receiver for cheap and figured I'd set the den up in 5.1 just for grins, but needed a center speaker.  Picked up a JBL at a local Fry's for less than half price, Studio 235C model.  Since this is just for occasional use when we don't use our HT, this should do for the experiment.  Thanks for all the input.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

The best would be all 3 the same across the front. At least timbre match the center to the towers. 

Have you ever heard a L/C/R like this?  Even though I've often heard people recommend matching all three across the front, it just occurred to me I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually doing it, with the exceptions noted below. 

Still, I think your suggestion would be a good one.  I guess I really don't know because I've never heard one.

I have heard the  @Youthman and @mustang guy all LS L/C/R, both highly dialed in.  I don't think I've ever heard anything better, including any sound system at a commercial cinema theater.

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Have you ever heard a L/C/R like this?  Even though I've often heard people recommend matching all three across the front, it just occurred to me I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually doing it, with the exceptions noted below. 

Still, I think your suggestion would be a good one.  I guess I really don't know because I've never heard one.

I have heard the  @Youthman and @mustang guy all LS L/C/R, both highly dialed in.  I don't think I've ever heard anything better, including any sound system at a commercial cinema theater.

I have done it temporarily, but lack the space for a permanent rig for now.  I think dtel has such a set up using forte IIs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

I have done it temporarily, but lack the space for a permanent rig for now.  I think dtel has such a set up using forte IIs.

I would think Heritage speakers would be a much better fit for 3 of a kind across the front, as opposed to the taller floorstanding speakers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Heritage speakers would be a much better fit for 3 of a kind across the front

Yes; that's what I am using "up front" ... of course with KPT-904's for 2 channel :D The Heresy's are small enough to get an OK WAF :D 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yes, a friend has an all matching JBL LCR that sounds pretty good. It's behind a screen. It goes loud, and has a lot of bass, but I think it lacks a lot of detail many Klipsch systems have. The JBL sounds better in 5 channel music than movie surround sound. My Palladium front 3 sounds WAY better than his JBL, especially for movies.

• Like 2

Why not get the matching in-wall speaker for the Mains? You don't loose performance with good in-wall speakers.  I was a an HT in Virginia with 4 rolls and all in-wall speakers and it was off the hook.  I currently use 8 in-wall speakers and wish I would have made the change sooner.  It will be neat and clean.

God I love this forum, haha.  I just bought my first set of Klipsch speakers early this year and its pretty dangerous so that is your fair warning.  I started with the rc-25.  upgraded to the rc62ii, and now have the 450c.  Like everyone said before, just get the best you can afford.  It cost me a lot more money making my way up to the 450.  The 62ii was a really nice upgrade from the rc25.  But to my ears the 450 (although has smaller woofers than the 62ii) is in a whole different class.  Keep in mind i also upgraded my tower to the 280f so now they timbre match which im sure helped.  Long story short as everyone else said get the best you can afford.  I will most likely have a 64 here soon at my pace.

• Like 1