WinDVD vs. PowerDVD

Cabbage

I know this has been brought up briefly before, but I would like to hear some opinions on which is better in different aspects.

For instance, I have read that PowerDVD might produce better video quality, but WinDVD produces a better sound quality due to the lack of LFE with the PowerDVD.

Your thoughts?

-Cabby

Well, I use both progs. I used to like WinDVD a lot better, but now I ussually use PowerDVD. Why? I used to not have a good soundcard and now I have a 5.1 channel santa cruz. I've been trying both progs back and forth to test the sound and everything else. Powerdvd is alot easier to use if you get a good skin and it has alot of the tweaks readily available right in the program. You don't need an extra prog like DVD Genie or the WinDVD tweaker prog.

I used to think that Windvd had better sound and video, but now it's the opposite. But I think it really all depends on your hardware. With my old soundcard and using Powerdvd the sound got messed up when I had my voodoo 3 hooked up, but it sounded fine when I used my ATI. And Windvd worked great. Weird huh? Well, now that I have good sound hardware I look more at the video quality. Voodoo 3's suck for dvd, but Power dvd looks halfway decent with it and WinDVD just doesn't cut it anymore. With my ATI video card, which has motion compensation (DVD acceleration), I preferred WinDVD. Also an interesting thing... PowerDVD only uses 5.1 Dobly digital when it plays the actual movie, but WinDVD has 5.1 on all the time. I found that to be really weird. I'm going to have check into that a little more because maybe WinDVD is just playing matrixed surround instead of discrete surround.

Anyway, I hope that helped.

Oh yeah, you want to try out different software dvd players? Go to DVD Digest They probably still have links to some full progs there. They also have reviews on about 10 different players. Check them out!

The newer versions of WinDVD and PowerDVD are almost identical in video, although PowerDVD has more "Tweaks" and options. My concern is the lack of LFE in PowerDVD, I find it very noticable, but have never used WinDVD, so I would like to know if there is a big difference in that area.

Sinse we are on the subject, I just had a question about PowerDVD and the decoding. If I want dolby digital 5.1, downmixed to 4.1 with the phantom center channel, do I select "4 speaker" as the audio output selection? This is what I usually select, but when I do, It grays the option to select "ac-3" under the audio mode. Does 4 speaker mode coincide with dolby digital decoding, or am I just missing something?

nah u gotta use a program like dvdgenie.

select 6 speakers or (5.1) and then it will downmix to 4.1 with phantom..

the way u can tell is with the optimode THX test or when u are actually playing the movie with dolby digital 5.1, open the options and look at the audio format.... it should say 5.1 dolby dig. even if its greyed out its still using it....

smile.gif

------------------

Download the latest ver. of Klipsch 3d Animation:

http://blake.prohosting.com/~swerv/subwoofer4.avi

• 1 year later...