KG4 versus Quartet

ThomasD.

6 hours ago, moray james said:

put your new to you quartet up on some sort of stand high enough to place the centre of the mid horn at your seated ear level (usually 39 - 41 inches off the floor) for best stage and image possible. Congrats.

Tried that with the KG4's and noticed an immediate loss in bass due to moving the woof off the floor.  Should the open cavity of the built in riser be considered in this application since my speaker stands aren't big enough to encompass the entire base.

49 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Talk with BEC, with my forte II's (same k61k used) he told me that not everyone liked the ti mid and will require additional xover components. 

He had told me that about the Ti tweet for the KG4's also but really recommended trying it.  Glad I did.  

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-cornwall-vintage/6718154602.html

This also showed up. Seller considers himself a stereo equipment 'broker'.  Bought a pair of Polk SDA 2'as from him a while back that turned out to be in pretty good shape.  He knew nothing about the Polks and some of his stuff is really 'iffy' at best.  Everybody is really jumping on the 'vintage' wagon  trying to turn a buck.  Trying to find out more about these but he won't provide anymore pics of the drivers or back of speaker,  keeps sending me stock images of CW's from online, lives 50 mile outside of Anchorage and I'm on a plane home this morning.  Will have to see what becomes of it.

tilting is a good trick but it never fools your brain, sounds are not supposed to come at you from above or below normally and your brain is distracted by such a ploy. At bass frequencies 12 -14 inches is nothing. I would much rather have good stage and image and would gladly give up a small portion of bass in trade. It's your call do what ever you like, we can agree to disagree and still get along.

Seems like PWK disagreed with that assessment of speakers being on stands with dead space underneath. He also seemed to like using tilted risers for Heresy's and people don't seem to mind those; they also seem to be quite popular for the folks that didn't have risers with theirs originally. 

my my but you people are argumentative so fill the space in if you think PWK is going to have an issue. you can tell me about all the problems but you have not given it a try as if you tried it and it was no good your life would come to an end for the transgression you had made. You need to go for a walk.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:52 AM, ThomasD. said:

Have to hide them from my wife though

Haha ... many forum members do this :D  Was able to hide a pair of Forte's for about a month ... then she saw them and it cost me a new designer purse :D 

Saw you got them for $250 ... absolute STEAL!

About the Ti diaphragms ... think it's about 20/80 (20% dislikes, 80% likes) ... personal thing ... I LOVE them.

Enjoy, Emile

On 10/5/2018 at 4:44 PM, Emile said:

Jeez ... $350? ... go get them :D  Great bargain. And keep both :D 

@Emile. Love the Ti tweets in the KG1’s & 4’s. Not familiar with the mid Ti diaphragms. Had to leave the Quartets in Anchorage for now at my brothers since I was flying. Will pick them up next month and start listening to the difference between 2/way & 3/way and dual 8” woofs & a single 10”.  Hoping a tru ‘heritage’ value will come along. Got to say though that my finds so far have been pretty good sounding.