Klipsch to update La Scala

Ceptorman

Interesting.... 

I thought all of PWK's designs were to be "hands off" other than refinements.  I wonder where they draw the line?

If it's losing the K401 then is that a "refinement" or a change to PWK's design?

If they're going to put a new horn in there, I wonder why they didn't make it a 2-way using the 510 (unless keeping it 3-way was part of the homage to PWK??)

Then again, it might have been more cost effective (cheaper to consumer) to keep it a 3-way??  Got me.

I still think it would be nice if they offered that (K510 as 2-way) as a factory option.

• Like 2

"The new La Scala AL5 features a new 1” tweeter and Tractrix horn"

I interpreted that to mean a new tweeter AND a new (midrange) horn...

You're saying that just the tweeter is new, and it's a tractrix?

Always nice showing my reading skills...

• Like 1

As Maximus indicated, it's just the tweeter horn.

I think Roy should let go of the "hands off" thing and just go for it. I can't imagine PK wanting those speakers locked in the way they are forever. Maybe move forward, but also offer "The Heritage Classic Series". So, if you want a pair using the original design, you just special order it.

• Like 4

Yes. The sentence continued makes it clear it's 1 note just about the tweeter "The new La Scala AL5 features a new 1” tweeter and Tractrix horn to extend output of high frequencies beyond 20kHz"

I agree that they shouldn't feel any pressure to keep them the same way after so long. Offering a true heritage + update or 2 way would be very cool. But, I only have enough money to play around in the used market anyway so it doesn't bother me.  

23 minutes ago, babadono said:

This is a 'modification" not an "improvement". Right?:)

Since its Klipsch idea to put them in, its an upgrade.  On that note,  I would like to see them offer this upgrade with crossover upgrades for vintage Heritage models.

16 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I don't want no stinkin' Hardley!  Stuck in 1948.  Mr Paul regularly updated the Heritage line. 

Well that same exact Tractrix tweeter lens has been around in the pro line since 2000, only took about 20 years to get them in the Heritage line up.. maybe in another 20 they'll do something with the mid horns??