Super Heresy 2.0 (Baby Cornwall II mod.)

ClaudeJ1

Advice?

I have just received the sMAHL 120's from DaveA and I have ordered the egg crate and the Ports and Terminal cups from Parts Express so I'm waiting to receive it all before opening the back's up.

Question is, since I do have a pretty nice Sub, SPL-120, and the E Crossovers are already recapped with 1% Daytons, will just upgrading the Tweeters and dampening the cabs with Ports on the back be a sufficient improvement, without the new Woofers?

9 minutes ago, skaggz02 said:

Advice?

I have just received the sMAHL 120's from DaveA and I have ordered the egg crate and the Ports and Terminal cups from Parts Express so I'm waiting to receive it all before opening the back's up.

Question is, since I do have a pretty nice Sub, SPL-120, and the E Crossovers are already recapped with 1% Daytons, will just upgrading the Tweeters and dampening the cabs with Ports on the back be a sufficient improvement, without the new Woofers?

That's all up to you. It's a matter of personal taste. Decide after you listen to your improvements.

4 hours ago, skaggz02 said:

will just upgrading the Tweeters and dampening the cabs with Ports on the back be a sufficient improvement, without the new Woofers?

Definitely not. It's about 80% of the sound improvement that you miss. It's like ordering a Burger without the meat, all you have is a bun with condiments. Much less filling and incomplete taste.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Definitely not. It's about 80% of the sound improvement that you miss. It's like ordering a Burger without the meat, all you have is a bun with condiments. Much less filling and incomplete taste.

Thanks again, ClaudeJ1, and JimJimbo, the 80% analogy was all I needed to hear. Went to Parts Express on 7-4 and took advantage of the 10% off coupon for the holiday and ordered the Kapplite3012HO's $225 each. I also ordered the 2uf caps(qty 4) with 1% tolerance along with the 4" ports and banana connector cups. They all arrived yesterday. Today I will go out to my dad's and borrow his router and at start my project. I am really excited. 

I think I will replace the Tweeters with the DaveA sMAHLs that I received over 1 week ago (thanks so much DaveA), Replace the Woofers, pad the cabinets with foam, port the backs and see how it sounds without doubling the capacitance and then listen with the reversed Caps connected with alligator clips to determine that last mod, or not. 

I've really learned so much from all of you and I thank each of you for your input and help..

I will follow up soon.

5 minutes ago, skaggz02 said:

I will follow up soon.

Thanks for the compliments and putting your faith in something proven out by countless number of Klipsch audio modders.

Like anyone else in this world, I like being right once in a while.

With you as my latest "victim" (which is what Paul W. Klipsch called me when I spent a day with him) I'm pretty sure you will be happy once your hear them.

I like the fact the you are doing it incrementally, which is something I never actually did myself, so I hope to hear back from you as you progress!

Ok, on Friday, the 8th, I had received all the parts and tools needed to upgrade my H1’s to Super Heresy 2.0, but on Saturday the 9th, I had also received the latest gift of Omicron along with my wife. 5 days of Ivermectin and we were ready to start the Mod on Wednesday.

I had already purchased the DE-120’s mated to the sMAHL’s from @DaveA, who was really great to work with, thank you DaveA, and found the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO for 10% off on July 4th sale at Parts Express so I took advantage of that and ordered them along with the Caps and Ports and Banana Jack speaker terminal cups.

The back panels were first with the 5.75” hole in lower center for Bass Port and a 3x2” cut out for the terminal cups that replaced those ugly spade terminals up top. (I used a jigsaw). We lined the majority of the cabinets with egg crate foam as is recommended in the posts, replaced and resoldered where necessary the new speakers and then set them back into the listening position and fired them up. I have to admit that my initial impression did not include a smile. They really didn’t sound very different at all. It wasn’t until I really started to listen to them that I began to hear the actual improvements. I first noticed the sounds of the instruments and the detail in them. Voices were clearer and smoother, but what really made me smile was when I realized what I had only heard people talk about and never experienced myself; the disappearance of the speakers themselves, it was like the entire front wall was one continuous speaker and I could not detect which speaker was playing which sounds. This applied to the Sub as well. The added bass from the speakers now makes the Sub disappear too. It’s like a soft handoff to the Sub whereas before I was always aware of the bass coming from it. Then back to Surround mode to watch a movie and every speaker seemed to sound even better. Switching back to Stereo mode no longer sounded so evident. Previously when putting on some music and going from surround to stereo I could hear a drastic change in the sound, and I would almost want to at least go to multi channel, but not anymore. 2Ch stereo is now a welcome mode of music listening. All I can say is that I am really happy to have found this great information and to have made the Mod to Super Heresy 2.0. I’m Smiling Now!!

As for the 4uf caps: my pair have had a recent recapping with the Dayton 2uf 1%, so I connected alligator clip jumpers to either side of the 1st cap and ran the leads out the bass port to add in the 2nd cap as a comparison. So far, I can’t hear any difference when reverse connecting the 2nd cap. Maybe I’m not doing it right so I will include some pics. The first Cap is the one coming from input and going to Inductor, correct? This is the one that I have jumpered.

My setup is Denon x3200 with Super Heresy 2.0 fronts, rp-504c, SPL-120, ss3 surrounds, and cdt-5800ll Atmos middle speakers.

Thank you to everyone who contributes here, but especially to @claudej1 for all of your tips and expertise.

1st Capacitor.JPEG

Back with capacitor jumpr.JPEG

Front Stage.JPEG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skaggz02 said:

Thank you to everyone who contributes here, but especially to @claudej1 for all of your tips and expertise

Welcome to my SH 2.0 "Victim" club! Stick with 4 uF for the mid and 2 uF for the tweet and you should be good to go. The woofer you bought is the best I have found for the SH. It and DaveA's tweeter really make those boxes sing. Yes I agree about the imaging. Super Heresy is one of the most phase coherent speakers you can create. Plus that Neo driver has more bass output than the K-42 and the Eminence Delta Pro 12A, so you got the best of the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Welcome to my SH 2.0 "Victim" club! Stick with 4 uF for the mid and 2 uF for the tweet and you should be good to go. The woofer you bought is the best I have found for the SH. It and DaveA's tweeter really make those boxes sing. Yes I agree about the imaging. Super Heresy is one of the most phase coherent speakers you can create. Plus that Neo driver has more bass output than the K-42 and the Eminence Delta Pro 12A, so you got the best of the best.

Right on and Thanks again..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, skaggz02 said:

Right on and Thanks again..

You are welcome. Now all you have to do is rediscover your favorite music with more detail, wider bandwidth, and lower distortion than before!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2022 at 1:14 PM, skaggz02 said:

so I connected alligator clip jumpers to either side of the 1st cap and ran the leads out the bass port to add in the 2nd cap as a comparison. So far, I can’t hear any difference when reverse connecting the 2nd cap.

It's not necessary or audible, but another engineer I worked with showed me some waveforms out of the Audio Band, so I figured it can't hurt to do this. Besides, I also practice what I preach and ordering Ten 2 uF Capacitors gets you a little discount, which can't hurt either!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's not necessary or audible, but another engineer I worked with showed me some waveforms out of the Audio Band, so I figured it can't hurt to do this. Besides, I also practice what I preach and ordering Ten 2 uF Capacitors gets you a little discount, which can't hurt either!

Thank you for responding to my last question. After I heard back on the previously last post, I went ahead and soldered them in in reverse polarity. Just knowing that I have completed the Mod as prescribed makes me feel like I have all that I can have with this. Thank you again for the awesome speakers. Now that they have broken in a little I can run them in 2ch at 95 volume and they don't show even a sign of stress. Before 85 was about the max that sounded good. Now I am looking at getting the Denon x6700 or 4700 (and add a 3ch amp) to actually connect all 9 of my installed speakers and to reall hear the SH's sing.  Any advice on my plan for an 11ch receiver? Great post Claude!!  

On 9/16/2022 at 7:38 PM, skaggz02 said:

Thank you for responding to my last question. After I heard back on the previously last post, I went ahead and soldered them in in reverse polarity. Just knowing that I have completed the Mod as prescribed makes me feel like I have all that I can have with this. Thank you again for the awesome speakers. Now that they have broken in a little I can run them in 2ch at 95 volume and they don't show even a sign of stress. Before 85 was about the max that sounded good. Now I am looking at getting the Denon x6700 or 4700 (and add a 3ch amp) to actually connect all 9 of my installed speakers and to reall hear the SH's sing.  Any advice on my plan for an 11ch receiver? Great post Claude!!  

I've got all Klipsch Super Heresy 1.0 and 2.0 Surrounds. Ceiling KPT-200's (4 total), being replaced by KPT-250's. Working on a 2-way box of my own with all Eminence components. Designed a successful one already, built by a few guys I respect. But now, it's time for a bigger one for a bigger one! LOL. But it won't appear here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, skaggz02 said:

Any advice on my plan for an 11ch receiver?

I'm a Yamaha fan. CX-A5200 my favorite. Does it all, and even stuff I don't use. They use the best ESS Sabre Dacs, like in the earlier CX-A5000 (have 2 of those). In that price range I'm sure there are other comparable brands, but I stopped looking several years ago.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 1:24 PM, OO1 said:

we'll  tell you when super deals arise in DFW 

Welcome to the klipsch forum

I HEAR YOU 100%!!! I live about 3hrs east(2.5 the way I drive) over in Shreveport, LA. While I applaud the restoration work they do over there, they have been scooping up seemingly every decent used heritage pair of speakers that pops up in the area. I got addicted in searching for my own (wanted Cornwalls) but even when I had found a set, agreed on a price sight unseen in person, I'd usually get an apology a few hours later from the seller saying someone who owns a shop in Dallas offered him either double(on a set of heresys) and like another time 600 more on a pair of Cornwalls(I found a pair right over the state line series 2, in mint..walnut with cane grills for 800). I'd given up on searching Craigslist in that direction since I'm almost sandwiched or equal distances from Dallas and Hope,AR. I luckily last year ran into a shop I repair equipment for and saw 2 pairs of heresy 1s he was selling for 200 (beat up but I restored nicely) and 250 a set. I suppose I was fortunate in that regard as 6months later when finishing my super heresys the shop owner came over to pick up a LOT of amplifiers I built/restored and speakers via thinning my herd...and he saw my supers and got all dejected....being proud I was hoping he'd want to hear them...but all he said was "have you seen the prices heresys are going for now?" as he left....I checked online and have been flabbergasted ever since. And it's not just because of Claude's Awesome work causing demand....apparently the domino effect happened quick and every money hungry non music enjoying person started listing all heritage and klf/kg speakers they inhereited for like triple in price. I really wished I had snagged some forte 2s for 500 in 2018. Sorry for the rant, but between the price gouging and almost over night inflation of wood/birch ply has left me frustrated in my quest for Cornwalls. I literally found and bit the bullet on a set of Cornwalls 2s in mint on reverb that with shipping came to 1,800...but I got an email from that seller too after I had paid for them that he was sorry and decided to sell them locally to avoid shipping and would take the ad down. I decided the gods have spoken and that I'm better off with my claude super heresys and 1 or 2 RSL Speedwoofer MKiis😂. I figured it's the best sub esp value speaking to keep up. That Rel/T7 mentioned was tempting...but I've been wanting to hear the speedwoofer n person for a long long time...finally got luck and snagged my 1st last night.

But yeah, it's a tough frustrating time for those wanting to snag a pair for this mod. Hopefully, as people stop paying inflated prices, esp for Heresys considering the amount of supply of them; prices will come back down to normal. Lately, you can just about get a set of heresy 3s open box for the price of grandpaws heresy 1s on auction or various sites.

26 minutes ago, Easy E said:

But yeah, it's a tough frustrating time for those wanting to snag a pair for this mod. Hopefully, as people stop paying inflated prices, esp for Heresys considering the amount of supply of them; prices will come back down to normal. Lately, you can just about get a set of heresy 3s open box for the price of grandpaws heresy 1s on auction or various sites.

PWK's Heresy 1 and it's variants are what saved the company, being responsible for 50% of the sales for Klipsch and Associates in the 60's and 70's. I met with Bob Moers when I was 22, and he told me that. Also he shared some photos of the MWM woofers in Raw Birch, they called "Moutengators." The top sales guy attended a Dealer's meeting/party in Hope and heard them outdoors playing Dark Side of the Moon, and said that was the best he ever heard then. As a further exercise in "maximum Contrast", my sales guy also shared that he was frustrated in trying to sell LaScalas with small amplifiers to married guys, who ended up preferring a pair of Heresys with an expensive high powered amplifier over LaScalas. I think the idea of "Wife Acceptance Factor" is what drove Klipsch to make smaller and smaller speakers for higher sales, but I still think of the Heresy as being the "Industry Standard" as the smallest tolerable speaker (Hoffman's Law) that has the greatest versatility for satisfying the discerning High Fi buyer (or PA/DJ/professional applications excepted), with a very tolerant wife. All this way before the Bose "sugar cube" speakers were created as overpriced, crappy options to dominate the "Wifey" market!!

So, I'm not surprised they went up in price to keep up with the newer Klipsch Heresys' price structure, which had to happen to keep up with inflation's cheaper Dollars of today!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Easy E said:

you can just about get a set of heresy 3s open box for the price of grandpaws heresy 1s on auction or various sites.

yes , you can get a Heresy III -IV   at great prices ,  Chief Delgado's  klipsch  speakers are  keeping up very well with PWK  's   Heresy 1 and Heresy II  , but  wait till you hear the klipsch HIP  or the KP 250 Pro speakers ,   Man ,  these little speakers are somethin else , they blow me away everytime ,